ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 16th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #1
jadephnx
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Phuong

Motorcycle(s): 2003

2003 250EX lowering

Hi everyone. I was looking for a posting on lowering Ninjas and have found some. But would like some direct help if you could!

I just bought a 2003 Ninja 250EX and have been researching either getting lowering links or even different tires, to a different seat. My inseam is about 27.5 inches (4ft 10.5 inches tall).

I have been referred to different sites such as roaringtoyz, saw soupys performance, etc. Any recommendations of what site to look at and the best options for me?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Phuong
jadephnx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2015, 11:05 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Phuong!

I am sure you know you're after lowering links, but just wanted to remind you of the front. Lowering the rear without making adjustments to the front is doable, but doesn't set up the bike for best results.

Just a friendly reminder for your searches.

Best!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #3
jadephnx
ninjette.org newbie

Yup, I know I was told gotta do both - front and rear! =)

Old June 16th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice! There are many riders here that have lowered their bike. I am sure they will be around shortly to comment their experience. Stay tuned!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #5
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
I have used Roaring Toyz kits on both my newgen and my 300. The links (rear) and blocks (front) are great, i would highly recommend them if they make them for you bike, i don't know if the links are the same from the pregens to the newgens. Just not the lowered kickstand the make. Go with an adjustable one.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #6
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

I don't know about the Ninja for the next trick, but on some bikes you can swap the tires for slightly smaller ones, and gain a fraction of an inch. Every bit helps, I know. I'm all sorts of flat foot with my Ninja 250, but a 600 ate my lunch, combination of height and seat width pushing my legs out at an angle.

Oh yeah, and don't forget you may need to shorten the kickstand, and a center stand may be difficult to use or drag too early.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:40 AM   #7
jadephnx
ninjette.org newbie

I called Roaring toyz and they only sell the lowering links for 2008 and newer models.

Called went to a few local shops in town and everything is on back order...

I saw this on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ninja-250-Lo...eb4894&vxp=mtr

which is a bit confusing as I went to a local shop and they could only order 1 1/2 or 2 in links for me. Idk the adjustable seems sketchy to me so curious if anyone has heard or use them...

Thanks

Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:47 AM   #8
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

They should be fine as long as you adjust them the same. They look beefy enough. I really don't see any issue with them.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:53 PM   #9
jbaum
ninjette.org member

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): ex250

You could shave the seat. Actually I know someone who got a 250 with a shaved seat and probably wants a normal seat. Could be an opportunity to trade.
jbaum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2015, 04:41 AM   #10
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

^^ That's a good thing to look into as well. I've had low seats on both my bikes with the lowering kit.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old October 8th, 2017, 07:52 AM   #11
deetz
ninjette.org member

Name: Deetz

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Yamaha YZF600R (me), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (wife)

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but what did you end up doing here? I'm looking for the same for my wife's Ninja.
deetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2017, 07:12 AM   #12
isuoboe
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda CB125S, 2006 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but what did you end up doing here? I'm looking for the same for my wife's Ninja.
Deetz: you asked me about the side stand I listed on "free stuff," but I can't find your post. Glad I saw you here. I can do better than an extra side stand. I have the links AND a shortened side stand. Send me a private message and we can talk! I think this lowers it about 2 inches.

When I bought my 2006, it had been lowered but I didn't know it! Scraped the first time I went around a corner. (I had been very gentle when I went on a test drive.) That was a huge disappointment; I'd been riding a 1981 Honda CB125S; I buy a "sport bike" (with 2X the CC's), and apparently I have to be careful going around corners?! I immediately went back to the dealer I bought it from. The person who sold me the bike didn't know it had been lowered, but the person I asked about it when I went back did know. I was easy on them; I bought the links and side stand on Ebay, and got them to do the work of putting it back to original without charge. I found out the previous owner was a girl, had it lowered at 900 miles; I bought at 1040 miles. I guess she wasn't meant for riding.

Only the back of mine was lowered.

If someone feels uncomfortable without lowering the bike, I wonder about putting it back to normal after they get comfortable with it (providing of course they can at least reach on toes). Scraping in corners must be dangerous, and being that careful around corners defeats what riding is all about. I am not that aggressive a rider. I am about 5'81/2". As far as reaching the ground, I would rather be a bit higher!

As others have said, the center stand becomes unusable; actually, since you don't need it except for servicing (like chain maintenance), you can either use an assistant to help lift it on the stand, or perhaps rolling the bike up on 2X4's would allow you to get it on the stand solo.

Old October 10th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #13
deetz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuoboe View Post
Deetz: you asked me about the side stand I listed on "free stuff," but I can't find your post. Glad I saw you here. I can do better than an extra side stand. I have the links AND a shortened side stand. Send me a private message and we can talk! I think this lowers it about 2 inches.

When I bought my 2006, it had been lowered but I didn't know it! Scraped the first time I went around a corner. (I had been very gentle when I went on a test drive.) That was a huge disappointment; I'd been riding a 1981 Honda CB125S; I buy a "sport bike" (with 2X the CC's), and apparently I have to be careful going around corners?! I immediately went back to the dealer I bought it from. The person who sold me the bike didn't know it had been lowered, but the person I asked about it when I went back did know. I was easy on them; I bought the links and side stand on Ebay, and got them to do the work of putting it back to original without charge. I found out the previous owner was a girl, had it lowered at 900 miles; I bought at 1040 miles. I guess she wasn't meant for riding.

Only the back of mine was lowered.

If someone feels uncomfortable without lowering the bike, I wonder about putting it back to normal after they get comfortable with it (providing of course they can at least reach on toes). Scraping in corners must be dangerous, and being that careful around corners defeats what riding is all about. I am not that aggressive a rider. I am about 5'81/2". As far as reaching the ground, I would rather be a bit higher!

As others have said, the center stand becomes unusable; actually, since you don't need it except for servicing (like chain maintenance), you can either use an assistant to help lift it on the stand, or perhaps rolling the bike up on 2X4's would allow you to get it on the stand solo.
Thanks for the post and info. Reaching out now. For everyone else's benefit, we are going to try and shave the seat down first. Seems we should be able to buy a 1/2" to 1" from just doing that.

That said, I'm definitely looking for a shortening option if that fails. I've already got a front and rear stand from doing maintenance on my own bike so don't really see any value in the center stand anyways.

My wife is actually pretty comfortable when she gets going.. the real concern is just stopping and getting the feet down, especially on a hill or anything of the sort where sure footing is a bit more important.

If I do end up lowering the Ninjette.. I'll take many photos and share my experiences. Regardless.. expect to see details on how the seat height reduction goes!

Old October 10th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #14
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
When shaving seat, taper the shave and remove A LOT from the front sides of where it narrows. Shave down to bare plastic really at edges. This makes front narrower and easier to straight-leg stand when stopped.

You can also lower front forks by taking out factory spacer above spring and cutting two sections off to reduce spring-preload. Slice off a 1/2" and a 1" section. Use hacksaw or thin cuttter to remove minimal amount of metal. Then you can mix-and-match the three pieces for 1/2" removed, or 1" or 1.5" removed. This will allow you to lower front-end 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4". You can add extra washer 92022B in between if ends of cut segments don't line up precisely.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2017, 11:39 AM   #15
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
My daughter has to be careful at stops, particularly on a side slope where she has to remember to lean toward the uphill side. Irregular ground can be a problem too. But she has no trouble dragging the peg feelers on the Dragon, so she prefers to put up with the nuisance than reduce cornering clearance.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #16
deetz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
My daughter has to be careful at stops, particularly on a side slope where she has to remember to lean toward the uphill side. Irregular ground can be a problem too. But she has no trouble dragging the peg feelers on the Dragon, so she prefers to put up with the nuisance than reduce cornering clearance.
Glad to see there's hope for my wife

Old October 10th, 2017, 07:27 PM   #17
deetz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
When shaving seat, taper the shave and remove A LOT from the front sides of where it narrows. Shave down to bare plastic really at edges. This makes front narrower and easier to straight-leg stand when stopped.

You can also lower front forks by taking out factory spacer above spring and cutting two sections off to reduce spring-preload. Slice off a 1/2" and a 1" section. Use hacksaw or thin cuttter to remove minimal amount of metal. Then you can mix-and-match the three pieces for 1/2" removed, or 1" or 1.5" removed. This will allow you to lower front-end 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4". You can add extra washer 92022B in between if ends of cut segments don't line up precisely.
Thanks for the tips. Do you happy to have any pictures to put to your words? I've never done any work inside forks so am a bit wary to open them up and start slicing =/

Old October 11th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #18
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
Thanks for the tips. Do you happy to have any pictures to put to your words? I've never done any work inside forks so am a bit wary to open them up and start slicing =/
Here's the cutaway diagram. The spacer is a metal tube, slightly smaller than a toilet-paper roll.

Take it out of the fork, cut some rings off the end and put it back together.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #19
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I put a set like these on my daughters bike when she first started riding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ninja-250-lo...hZ1U7u&vxp=mtr

We didn't drop the front at all.

She was much more comfortable at stops, but quickly was scraping hard parts in sharp corners.

When she upgraded to a Harley Sportster she wouldn't let me lower it even though she was on tip toes when she stopped.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote