ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 1st, 2017, 12:01 PM   #1
Musclecars4l1fe
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250

A little help please.

I'm having an issue with my tach and speedo not reading correcty. They both work as does the odo, and trip they just don't read correctly. I have looked through here for a similar problem to no avail. If anyone has encountered this problem or know of a thread for it already. Please enlighten me as to what is going on. I have searched else where and all I can find is the units themselves need to be replaced.
Musclecars4l1fe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2017, 02:39 AM   #2
gavinfdavies
ninjette.org member

Name: Gavin

Motorcycle(s): 1996 GPX 250 --- Also '96 GPZ500, '12 AJP PR4 200, '16 Yamaha Tricity, '13 Royal Enfield Continental GT 535

Is this a new issue, or has the bike always been this way? If the reading is steady, and is consistenly wrong, then it might be that the wrong cable drive box is fitted to the wheel. Different kwaks have different wheel and tyre sizes but can use the same size cable drive. For example, a GPZ600R (16" bubble tyre) drive will fit a GPZ500s (17" low profile), but will give a VERY wrong reading.

could also be a knackered cable.
gavinfdavies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2017, 02:41 AM   #3
Musclecars4l1fe
ninjette.org member

It started after I went down. I got a nail in the tire while riding and didn't know it until it was too late. Just cosmetic damage. I did however replace both sprockets, the chain and the speedometer cable. It still reads but the reading is wrong.

Old October 6th, 2017, 05:50 AM   #4
Kestrel
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): DR350, Ninja 250

Speedo cable and tach are unrelated - speedo/odometer are direct drive via the cable off the front wheel. The first thing I'd ask would be... are you sure you correctly reassembled the front wheel? There's a rather specific orientation for the speedo to 'click' into the drive gear of the wheel.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2017, 12:34 PM   #5
Musclecars4l1fe
ninjette.org member

I did not take apart the front wheel. The speedocable is "plug-n-play" you can't mess it up!

I know the tach and speedo are separate, this isn't my first rodeo and will not be my last. I am a car mechanic, not a motorcycle mechanic. That is why I asked if anyone has run into the same issue.

For example. I put an RPM gauge on the plug yesterday, the bikes tach read 3k rpms, the gauge I put on the plug read 4k. So I revved it up to 7k on the bikes tach. The plug tach read 9k rpms.

Old October 6th, 2017, 01:50 PM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Double-check the plug-tach with known-good source. Say a car you know is in good condition. Does the plug-tach match the car's tach? Also make sure tach is set to correct number of cylinders.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #7
Musclecars4l1fe
ninjette.org member

I did make sure the plug-tach reads correctly on another vehicle before using it on the bike. Good suggestions though as things like that can be easily over looked and equipment malfunctions and fails.

Old October 6th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The tachometer board has a potentiometer on it that allows a fairly wide range of calibration. It's not hard to get to, but you do have to take the tach out of its housing and get it apart. I don't remember needing any special tools.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Musclecars4l1fe
ninjette.org member

AWESOME!!! I'll do some digging into that. As for the speedometer, is it able to be calibrated at the front wheel?

I could not find anything on that.

Old October 25th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'm sure it can be. How difficult it is to get apart, and how to calibrate it are not something I can answer though.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote