ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 1st, 2017, 03:24 PM   #1
ThatDude3K
ninjette.org member

Name: Andre

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r

Random out of the blue issue?

A couple days ago my clutch cable snapped. New cable just came in today, switched the cable out and adjusted it. Rode the bike up the road real quick and back and everything was fine. I ran inside to grab my helmet and jacket and came back out to leave but the bike wouldnt start. I found a blown ignition fuse and replaced it.
The bike started but for some reason all the power was gone and is being extremely weird. The bike will only run with the choke on and dies when its turned off. With full choke the bike is also only at idle speeds whereas normally the revs would fly up almost instantly and id back the choke off until it ran without it. Also when the throttle is cracked open the engine seems to bog down for a moment until it comes to life and revs. It will go into gear and accelerate but just barely and extremely gradually even with full throttle. I went to the top of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear but there was barely any response from the throttle.

The only mechanical things Ive done to it lately:
-Switch the clutch cable
-Replaced the Ignition, turn signal, headlight, and tail light fuse.
-Topped off the oil. When I topped off the oil I did put a little bit of conventional oil in when the bike had full synthetic kawasaki oil. Maybe that could be it? Both were SAE.

Any ideas?
ThatDude3K is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2017, 03:26 PM   #2
ThatDude3K
ninjette.org member

On a side note the bike had only been sitting for 3 days. And ive been riding it almost everyday. Theres no way it could be a clogged up carb problem. They were just rebuilt and synced in june.

Old October 1st, 2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Check and see if you knocked a wire loose that would prevent spark to one cylinder, like the spark plug wire itself, or maybe one of the wires to a coil. If I'm right, one of your exhaust pipes won't be getting warm when you start the engine.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2017, 06:00 PM   #4
ThatDude3K
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Check and see if you knocked a wire loose that would prevent spark to one cylinder, like the spark plug wire itself, or maybe one of the wires to a coil. If I'm right, one of your exhaust pipes won't be getting warm when you start the engine.
Ill check it out

Old October 1st, 2017, 07:19 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I'd drain the floatbowls and see what the gas looks like. Significant condensation in the tank could make it run poorly. Is the tank clean inside?

Check the intake snorkel for blockage and air filter for condition.

Check the battery voltage. It should be 12.7V or more before starting and more at idle if it's charging properly. A bad battery with low voltage can cause all sorts of odd running problems.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2017, 03:36 PM   #6
ThatDude3K
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You were on the money. Only the right header was getting any heat. The terminal on the coil was loose when I wiggled it around and put it back everything was fine.. No bogging and the rpms on full choke flew up to 7k almost instantly. Only issue is it seems that side is going in and out. Atleast I found the source of the problem though (yay no screwing around in the carbs.)

The boot seems intact and attached to the plug. Maybe the plug is going out/is bad? Or is any kind of flooding possible from running the bike with only one firing plug?

P.s. The digital tach I have has a wire wrapped around the coil wire for reading, I believe it senses the pulses. The rpms will read/display when throttle is normal and choke is normal and the bar graph will cut out when the bogging starts again and the bike dies without choke. Hence why I believe the plug is going in and out.

Old October 5th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Running on one cylinder won't have done any damage other than possibly fouling the spark plug.

Squeeze the wire terminal so it grips the coil tab firmly, and put a small amount of grease on it before plugging it on. If that doesn't fix the intermittent problem, look for another loose connection up the line.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #8
ThatDude3K
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Running on one cylinder won't have done any damage other than possibly fouling the spark plug.

Squeeze the wire terminal so it grips the coil tab firmly, and put a small amount of grease on it before plugging it on. If that doesn't fix the intermittent problem, look for another loose connection up the line.
Ill take some pliers to it and give it a shot. I cant really check the wire as it seems it tree branches in with some other wires. Those wires are wrapped and that goes all the way back to the fuse box.

I did also order some new plugs so regardless ill throw those in since that time may have came anyway. The bike is probably around 6-7k miles at this point.