ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 16th, 2020, 07:32 AM   #1
arthury
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250J; 2005 CBR1000RR

Recommendations: Lift

Just acquired a 2008 Ninja 250R with 8K miles on it but the maintenance history of the bike has large gaps; so, I'll be doing a host of maintenance.

Do you guys have any Lifts or Stands you have used regular to recommend for servicing your bikes?

I'm new to servicing bikes but have been repairing and servicing cars for years.

Thanks!
arthury is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2020, 09:24 AM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I use my hubby's ABBA lift. Little pins go into the swing-arm hole and hold it up securely.

https://abbastandsusa.com/
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2020, 09:58 AM   #3
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I have one of HF units. Replaced front-chock with one that holds bike up by itself.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...8892-8495.html
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I just use a pair (front and back) of Pit Bull stands. I don't have space for a lift. Normally I only use the back stand unless I need the front wheel off the ground.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2020, 03:55 PM   #5
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

That's the beauty of the pregen - built in service stand.

Old June 17th, 2020, 03:56 PM   #6
arthury
ninjette.org member

Front/Rear Service Stands: Recommendations?

I'm in the market to get a pair of front/rear service stands to do work on my 2008 250R.

There are so many products out there, it gets confusing. Please shed some light based on your experiences.

Also, are stands bike-specific or are they generic and can be used when I get other bikes?

Thanks!

Old June 17th, 2020, 11:40 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

You're right, there are several different options here, but once you see pics, it shouldn't be too complicated. The new-gen 250 (and the 300, and the 400), can use "normal" front stands and rear stands just fine from a company like Pit-Bull. You need to get spools to screw into the threaded holes on the side of your swingarm for the rear stand to lift, anywhere you buy the stand will likely offer the spools as well (they are just a couple of bucks). On the front stand, for the type that lifts from under the triple-tree, you need to get a pin that fits the ninjette. Again, anywhere you buy the front stand from can check to make sure they are getting you the correct size pin. Going forward, you can use these stands on pretty much any bike you get, just by getting the right size pin for the front stand, and making sure the bike has rear spools. You can get away without the spools by using a rear stand that just lifts the swingarm from underneath, but you really don't want to do that - the spools give it much more stability.

There are also more unique looking stands that hold the whole bike up with just one strong piece in the center of the bike, by mounting to an adapter that you attach to your frame. These typically let you wheel the bike around the garage, and easily give access to the front and rear wheel while lifted. They are generally more expensive than simple front/rear stands.

PitBull stands have been the "standard" for many years, so much so that if you looked locally on craigslist, facebook marketplace, or another local board, you might even find some used ones up for sale. There are cheaper options out there, some of them quite good, others not so much. I have no experience with those other than the Pitbulls, but others have shared some on this board.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9810

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45898

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=238806

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 18th, 2020, 03:53 AM   #8
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

I got the economic ones from Cycle Gear. They worked perfect for years on different bikes. Still on duty.

I like a lot the one that lifts the bike from one center point in the frame. Once lifted, you can easily move the bike around and spin it on the lift. It's more expensive, but it seems to work fine.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2020, 07:24 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I have a few different stands I've picked-up used over the years. Name-brands mostly. Pit Bull is generally recognized as the top brand. Stay away from no-name brands for the most part. T-Rex is another known brand.

As noted, you want a front stand that uses a "pin" in the bottom of the lower triple clamp. That way you can drop the wheel and the forks if needed. A simple front stand that does under the fork legs will let you remove the wheel but not the forks - which makes it partially useless.

I also really like a front wheel chock. I have a Trackside chock from Cycle Gear. You just roll up into it, then put the cycle on the rear stand. That way you don't need to carefully balance the cycle while putting it on the stand yourself.

It's handy to use for most any maintenance as it keep the cycle vertical and stable.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2020, 07:29 AM   #10
arthury
ninjette.org member

Thanks, folks!
I'll look into these recommendations.

Old June 18th, 2020, 07:34 AM   #11
arthury
ninjette.org member

I have just flushed the coolant late last night for this new to me 2008 Ninja 250R.
The previous owner did not do anything for the bike, except change oil once in the 5 years he owned it. Good thing it wasn't driven much: it only has 8K miles.

I'm planning to replace the rest of the fluids, brake pads, spark plugs, ... etc.

Side fairings has some scratches and cracks. Man, the OEM fairings are pricey! Have to look into the Chinese-made ones.

Old June 18th, 2020, 08:08 AM   #12
arthury
ninjette.org member

Are these any good?

https://www.amazon.com/MOTO-D-Swinga...s%2C202&sr=8-6

Old June 18th, 2020, 09:22 AM   #13
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthury View Post
That front stand is not the type that you want, and those look a lot like the off-shore Harbor Freight stands.

I see stands pop up regularly on CL, and check FB Marketplace. Good used ones are out there.

I'd pass on those.

Old June 18th, 2020, 09:46 AM   #14
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Note that objects on ground rests on 3-points. When placing on ground, it touches down on 1-point, then leans over and touches 2nd contact-point. It then rotates on axis connecting these points until 3rd contact-points touches down and is then stable.

NEVER, EVER use pin-type front-stand without having bike up on rear-stand first. That's to maintain 3 contact-points and stability. Using front pin stand has only one contact point, and rear-tyre is only one contact point for 2-total. Bike will want to rotate on axis between pin contact and rear tyre's contact point on ground until a 3rd contact point is touching, typically handlebar.

Unless you need to remove service triple-T bearings or forks, I typically prefer under-fork-tips front stand. More stable without need to put rear on stand 1st.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; June 18th, 2020 at 02:50 PM.

Old June 18th, 2020, 09:54 AM   #15
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthury View Post
Problem with those is front-fork support doesn't rotate when stand is rotated to lift bike. Those fingers ends up sliding backwards on fork-tips, scary. Designs that allow fingers to rotate relative to stand stays in same place on fork as you deploy stand.

Actual danger occurs when you lift bike from ground onto stand (and off). Once it's up, it's much more stable. Getting it there is difference between so-so stands versus excellent ones.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; June 18th, 2020 at 11:40 AM.

Old June 18th, 2020, 10:26 AM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
NEVER, EVER use pin-type front-stand without having bike up on rear-stand first. That's to maintain 3 contact-points and stability. Using front pin stand has only one contact point, and rear-tyre is only one contact point for 2-total. Bike will want to rotate on axis between pin contact and rear tyre's contact point on ground until a 3rd contact point is touching, typically handlebar.

Unless you need to remove service triple-T bearings or forks, I typically prefer under-for-tips front stand. More stable without need to put rear on stand 1st.
You're definitely correct - it's critically important to put the bike on a rear stand prior to lifting it on the front triple-tree stand. But I've always felt that the 1-pin front stands are more stable than you let on (1 point vs 2 points), as that 1-pin slides into the triple tree itself, and the bike is then attached to the front stand that has a wide base for support. Once that pin is in, the bike isn't going anywhere, even if you move the handlebars back and forth all the way. For the under the fork front stands, the ones I've seen appear much less solid/stable, and things like the handlebars can't be moved at all at risk of knocking the bike off the stand.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 19th, 2020, 11:45 AM   #17
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Problem with those is front-fork support doesn't rotate when stand is rotated to lift bike. Those fingers ends up sliding backwards on fork-tips, scary. Designs that allow fingers to rotate relative to stand stays in same place on fork as you deploy stand.

Actual danger occurs when you lift bike from ground onto stand (and off). Once it's up, it's much more stable. Getting it there is difference between so-so stands versus excellent ones.
I bought one of those front stands that lift the front end up using the forks, and yup those things are scary. I rarely use and use triple tree pin instead.

When I first started working on my bike, the front forks slipped off of the stand while my tires were off. I ended up calling a friend to help me lift the front end back up and slip the stand back in. I went and bought a triple tree stand after that.

Not sure if this is correct, but when I need access to the wheels with the front end up, I'll:

Put bike on rear stand
Lift the front end up temporarily with bottle jack underneath oil bolt
Put jackstand under exhaust pipe in middle
Take bottle jack out
Bike is now resting on 3 points - rear stand (2) and jack stand (1)
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2020, 01:13 PM   #18
arthury
ninjette.org member

Gotten a pair of universal Pit Bulls.

What size spools should I get ?
I guess they are the same front and rear?

Old June 19th, 2020, 03:28 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

The holes on the swingarm are threaded for 10mm spools. Almost any brand or type that has a 10mm bolt should work fine. Here's some of the "official" pitbull spools on revzilla. Spools are only for the rear, not the front of the bike. What type of front stand did you get - I'm not sure what "universal" means. Here's a link to the different types of front stands Pitbull sells.

Old June 19th, 2020, 04:17 PM   #20
arthury
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The holes on the swingarm are threaded for 10mm spools. Almost any brand or type that has a 10mm bolt should work fine. Here's some of the "official" pitbull spools on revzilla. Spools are only for the rear, not the front of the bike. What type of front stand did you get - I'm not sure what "universal" means. Here's a link to the different types of front stands Pitbull sells.
Cool, thanks!

I drove down to Cycle Gear and got these per the recommendations from store associates.
- Pit Bull Combp Rear Stand
- Pit Bull Hybrid Headlift
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2420.jpg (211.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2421.jpg (129.0 KB, 5 views)

Old June 19th, 2020, 04:33 PM   #21
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

If you got the right pin for the front stand then you did good.

Old June 19th, 2020, 04:39 PM   #22
arthury
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeloo Yello View Post
If you got the right pin for the front stand then you did good.
No, I haven't gotten any pin.
Just called them to add pin #20 for the front stand.

Thanks for the heads-up. Really appreciated it.

Old June 19th, 2020, 05:11 PM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Yep - and when your spools come, just swap the top brackets on the rear stand 180 degrees to use the spool mounts rather than the flat platform, and you're good to go.

Old June 19th, 2020, 05:26 PM   #24
arthury
ninjette.org member

Thanks, Alex.

I just changed the oil using the Standard Mode on the new stand. It was a good experience.

Old June 21st, 2020, 01:24 PM   #25
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
For the under the fork front stands, the ones I've seen appear much less solid/stable, and things like the handlebars can't be moved at all at risk of knocking the bike off the stand.
True, the difference is location of centre-of-gravity relative to where you’re lifting. Pin-stand lifts from above CoG and bike is hanging, so it’s very stable. Under-fork stand has CoG higher than support so it can topple over. In garage, I also prefer hanging bike, but by using ratcheting-straps tied to ceiling beams and tied around frame-tube.

I just prefer the fork-tip lifts because they’re fast. I’ll change wheels 4-6x a day @ track and it’s simpler to use. Pin lifts require more fiddling to install the pin just right or else you’ll crush bottom of fairing.

Old July 6th, 2020, 08:21 AM   #26
arthury
ninjette.org member

Removing both wheels for tire installations

I kept reading in this website that it's unstable to remove both wheels on the stands.
In that case, what do we use to have both wheels removed for shop to install tires?

Old July 6th, 2020, 08:47 AM   #27
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I've done it many times.

You need to have good stands and make sure they are stable.

It can be sketchy with cheap or incorrect stands.

Old July 6th, 2020, 08:48 AM   #28
arthury
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I've done it many times.

You need to have good stands and make sure they are stable.

It can be sketchy with cheap or incorrect stands.
I'm using PitBulls : they are safe for this procedure?

Old July 6th, 2020, 12:18 PM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Where are you reading that? The only advice that sounds similar is to never just lift the front of the bike, especially with kind that lift from the bottom of the fork legs. But as long as you lift the rear of the bike first, lifting the front is never an issue. The pitbull stands you bought are designed to do exactly what you're asking. Do you have a usable pin installed for the front lift? There's a step-by-step right in the thread linked above.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 6th, 2020, 02:16 PM   #30
arthury
ninjette.org member

OK, I will proceed with this recommendation when my tires arrive.
Appreciate the help a lot

Old July 23rd, 2020, 02:18 AM   #31
Chloebelle
Meowtercyclist

Name: Chloe

Motorcycle(s): Harumi, 2007 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeloo Yello View Post
That's the beauty of the pregen - built in service stand.
Well... So long as you don't need to remove the front wheel, anyhow. Need to get a stand myself so I can swap out the old brakes...
Chloebelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2020, 11:39 AM   #32
arthury
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the help, folks.
The PitBulls are a good recommendation.
I'm using it for both my 250R and my Honda CBR1000RR: solid stands.
Love them.

Old July 23rd, 2020, 07:19 PM   #33
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloebelle View Post
Well... So long as you don't need to remove the front wheel, anyhow. Need to get a stand myself so I can swap out the old brakes...
Before pit bulls - front end work required strapping the handle bars to an overhead beam.