ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:00 AM   #41
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
As much as I'd love to wear a riding sneaker / shoe for the sneaker fit and look, I've decided to take everyone's advice and pick up some real riding boots. I'm going to be ordering the S-MX plus (2011 version I believe..The 2013's are $370 so I'll skip on those and go with the cheaper model, pretty much the same boot). I'm hearing they are extremely protective and comfortable. I hope they'll be worth the money, I have other AStars stuff and they're quality is usually spot on.

The SMX-5's, Tour Master's, and the BiLT boots look like they compromise a lot in ankle protection.
Congratulations on the good deal on the SMX Plus. You went full circle back to a super protective boot and I'm glad you did. I thought we were losing you when you mentioned not wanting toe sliders. Just remember, just like body armor only the best protection is any good if you actually wear it, so don't forget to wear them every ride! If you've never worn a supportive boot before it will feel weird at first, but don't give up...you'll get used to it, then it'll feel weird to try to ride with anything less.
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:26 AM   #42
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb502 View Post
I thought we were losing you when you mentioned not wanting toe sliders.
I thought toe sliders were for people who race, as they need it for cornering and such. I'm probably wrong though.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:56 PM   #43
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

From my limited knowledge/experience I would say a toe slider is for any time you accidentally touch your toe to the ground. From reading other forums and ramblings on the internet I have seen mention that it's better to accidentally touch a toe slider to the ground (which would slide) than to touch a leather boot toe to the ground (which would grab and potentially try to rip your boot off).

It's true most of us aren't ever going to touch stuff to the ground while cornering, but just in case you're taking a corner too fast and have to lean more than you thought you were going to have to it's cheap insurance. Better to just replace the slider than the whole boot. Even if you never use it it's just a piece of plastic or metal on the side of the boot; I don't see it being a problem.

Oh and thanks for the links to RevZilla and this discussion. My credit card is very unhappy. I decided it's finally time for a solid ankle protection boot when I saw the TCX S-Race on closeout at RevZilla for $229 after I clicked your link to the SMX-Plus.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-s-race-boots

I needed a protective non-perforated boot for these 65 degree non-rainy days anyway lol...
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:16 PM   #44
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb502 View Post
From my limited knowledge/experience I would say a toe slider is for any time you accidentally touch your toe to the ground. From reading other forums and ramblings on the internet I have seen mention that it's better to accidentally touch a toe slider to the ground (which would slide) than to touch a leather boot toe to the ground (which would grab and potentially try to rip your boot off).

It's true most of us aren't ever going to touch stuff to the ground while cornering, but just in case you're taking a corner too fast and have to lean more than you thought you were going to have to it's cheap insurance. Better to just replace the slider than the whole boot. Even if you never use it it's just a piece of plastic or metal on the side of the boot; I don't see it being a problem.

Oh and thanks for the links to RevZilla and this discussion. My credit card is very unhappy. I decided it's finally time for a solid ankle protection boot when I saw the TCX S-Race on closeout at RevZilla for $229 after I clicked your link to the SMX-Plus.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-s-race-boots

I needed a protective non-perforated boot for these 65 degree non-rainy days anyway lol...
Alright sounds good. Those tcx boots look nice!!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:07 PM   #45
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I'm a 10.5 - 11 in sneakers. if that's my boot size though.
Ahh won't fit

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote