ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:54 PM   #1
PloXyZeRO
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Rear seat / Seat cowl raised?

When I bought my bike, I noticed that the seat cowl that came with it was slightly raised and wobbled a bit, since it's not flush with the surface of the bike.

She wasn't sure why, as the bike was like that when she got it too. So I decided to buy a rear seat to see if that would fix the problem, but it's actually even MORE apparent since the rear seat is smaller, and it shows an even bigger gap.

Could any explain why this is happening and how I can fix it? I really have no idea
Does anything look unusual? (Sorry for the bad quality, a friend is borrowing my actual camera)

Thank you!
PloXyZeRO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:03 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to new-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:17 PM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
1st your missing the tail light cover piece.

the rear cowls are known to have a gap, especially the chinese knockoff ones.

Is the seat on right? doesn't look like it. Make sure you slice the tongue of the seat underneath that steel cross piece in the rear and it all snaps/locks in. For the seat you will need to remove that rubber grommet that is used for the cowl. That grommet is NOT OEM.

Start there, take some more pics and get back to us.

You will still be missing that tail light cover piece and will be needed especially if you plan on riding in the rain

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:45 PM   #4
PloXyZeRO
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I've been thinking about getting an integrated taillight, would that work as a replacement for the tail cover? Or would I actually have to order that piece specifically? If so, where can I do that?

I took off the rubber piece and slid the seat into the metal slot (which was unusually difficult by the the way, I don't know if it's bent or something)

The seat is much more stable after inserting it like that, hardly wobbles. But it's still not flush with the bike! I have no idea why

PloXyZeRO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2014, 03:26 AM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
First, the tail light cover is known as COVER-TAIL,CNT,F.BLACK, part #36040-0063-6Z

You can see it in this pic:

Integrated lights assume you already have the piece and (at least the one i have) are designed with the small tabs to lock the two pieces together. You can order it from bikebandit.com, kawasakipartshouse.com, partzilla.com, or local dealer.

The big issue looks to me like your entire tail is hanging lower than it should. To the left and right of that cross bar you removed the grommet from, there are four bolts supporting the undertail and rear fender to the frame (shown in this parts diagram), are those in place?

I can get a couple pics of mine later tonight with the seat installed and relative position of the rest of the tail if that might help?
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
1 or 2 things

your tail section is seriously sagging, which shouldn't be very possible with the OEM fender on there cuz it screws into a piece that screws into the frame?....On a normal bike.

your tail section of your frame is bent, or was half *** "fixed" at some point.

I would disassemble the entire tail section plastics and fender, check the frame and look at OEM parts diagram and make sure it all adds up.

Take pics and post

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote