ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 13th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Getting stuck in neutral trying to shift into first?

Alright, so yesterday I went for a brief ride before work, totaling maybe 50 miles. Everything was fine for the first 40 miles or so, but near the end of the trip, suddenly everytime I would try to downshift into first, I'd get stuck in neutral instead. After kicking down a number of times to no avail, letting out the clutch a few times, and rocking back and forth a bit, I'd eventually be able to engage first, but otherwise, I just could not get it out of neutral.

Every other gear engages fine both going up and down, it's just getting into first that's giving me grief. Umm, I'm not sure what might be relevent to diagnosing this, but if it helps, I DID drop it on the right side (opposite the clutch and shifter) maybe 5 months ago, and have occasionally had minor difficulty getting into first since (I'd say, maybe 1 in 50 downshifts from second would result in neutral, but a second kick would always immediately fix it).

Any ideas at all what might cause something like that? I'm more than willing to pull things apart if need be, but I have no idea where to even start
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #2
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

When is the last time you changed your oil, and what are you using? I find shifts start getting a little rougher after maybe 1500 miles it seems.

Old November 13th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #3
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Got any slack in your clutch cable?

Old November 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Are you stopping while still in 2nd gear or higher? The bike should be moving when changing gears.
Ken08Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
When is the last time you changed your oil, and what are you using? I find shifts start getting a little rougher after maybe 1500 miles it seems.
I change my oil pretty frequently, as I make a point to do so after every other trackday. I last changed it about 2 weeks and 300 miles ago. I run Mobil 10w-40 full synthetic, and have been running that since the 2500 mile mark (currently at about 8000 miles on the odometer). I did put in new O rings and switched over to a K&N filter over OEM, but otherwise business as usual. would a different filter maybe require a little less oil or something? Could oil cause a problem like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Got any slack in your clutch cable?
Not sure. The clutch lever itself feels firm and totally normal, and I had the 7500 mile service done not too long ago. I'm pretty certain it was adjusted then if it was off at all, but I'll have to check. It engages smoothly in every other gear though. It just feels like my shift lever can't click into first for some reason.

Is there anything else it could be if that doesn't solve it?

Old November 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #6
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken08Ninja View Post
Are you stopping while still in 2nd gear or higher? The bike should be moving when changing gears.
No no, I've done that before and had that awkward trying to get it into first gear. I know what that feels like. I usually engage each gear individually as I slow to a stop anyways. I'm having trouble getting it into first gear from neutral even when first turning it on.

Old November 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Check the slack in your chain. I have found that too much slack in the chain causes difficult shifting.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Okay, I feel stupid >_< Figured it out. Apparently the shift lever goes down further when kicking into first than it does when descending through the other gears, because it turns out that between my rearsets and how low I had my shifter adjusted, I was hitting the kickstand mount before the gear could fully engage. I don't know why this didn't happen until mid-ride or why it's been fine for the last, like, 6 months since I put the rearsets on, but it's working fine now that I've adjusted the lever position, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I guess I'll have to get used to having the shifter a little higher. Gross. Maybe this is all a sign that I need to just remove the kickstand and make this into a full on track bike

Crisis averted! Sorry, guys. Thanks for the assistance anyways

Old November 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Glad to see it was a simple fix.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #10
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Ha, you and me both. I was all worried I ruined my clutch or something without realizing it. All's well that ends well I suppose

Old November 13th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #11
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Haha, I did that when messing with lever position early on :P .

Old November 14th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #12
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

YAY! you fixed it Were you hittin the post for the kickstand spring?

Old November 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #13
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Yep. Scuffed the rubber on the shifter a bit from nailing that peg when forcing it into first a few times. So dumb. I don't know how I missed that when I was first fidgeting with the lever. Damn kawasaki stifling my racey shifting