ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:47 AM   #41
krakatak
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Knox Contour

I have a Knox Contour (Race) with matching chest protector, and it's awesome. It contours perfectly for me so even though it feels bulky when I put it on, I hardly notice it once I'm on the bike.
krakatak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #42
WesleySnipes
ninjette.org member

Name: Wesley

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250ex 1989 Ninja 250ex 2005 Ninja 250ex 2007 Ninja 250ex 2011 Ninja 250r 1993 CBR600

I would not wear a chest protector for the street. I wear a spine protector because it limits how far my back can extend as well as adding some serious padding. I have a knox spine protector that goes down to the tail bone...which is worth it.

Chest protection is only their for extra padding and limits your ability to move in a negative way. You can bend pretty far forward so a chest protector is simply some extra padding. I assume you already have leather over anyways. Your choice but for me I need the flexibility up front.

Or if you find something that will fit you perfectly do it.

Last futzed with by WesleySnipes; September 4th, 2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Read Krakatak post
WesleySnipes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #43
krakatak
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Street vs. Track

I'd argue that, given all the stupid people on the road, you would want even more protection on the street than on the track, but I get what you're saying about the chest protector. When I was riding more on the street, I'd wear a smaller back protector (no tailbone coverage) under my leathers for more spirited riding, but never the chest. For the track, it's all about risk management and the extra protection is even more important.
krakatak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #44
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dino

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki EX250(Bright Yellow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleySnipes View Post
I would not wear a chest protector for the street. I wear a spine protector because it limits how far my back can extend as well as adding some serious padding. I have a knox spine protector that goes down to the tail bone...which is worth it.

Chest protection is only their for extra padding and limits your ability to move in a negative way. You can bend pretty far forward so a chest protector is simply some extra padding. I assume you already have leather over anyways. Your choice but for me I need the flexibility up front.

Or if you find something that will fit you perfectly do it.
How does it affect your mobility in a negative way? Just curious... I ended up getting an Icon Armored vest to wear under my motorcycle jacket and it hasn't hampered my movement or gotten in the way of anything. It also has a hard-shell spine protector...

Old September 5th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #45
WesleySnipes
ninjette.org member

Name: Wesley

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250ex 1989 Ninja 250ex 2005 Ninja 250ex 2007 Ninja 250ex 2011 Ninja 250r 1993 CBR600

When you go full tuck it can prevent you from compressing as much as you would like to and press into your waste or neck. Light riding generally wont cause issues.

I say this because that vest isn't made to fit. If your body type doesn't match who they designed it around it may cause issues! It looks like on the one you linked though that the issues may arise from a pull or push from the actual spine protector due to extreme forward or backward movement not the front piece as it looks small.

Plus added rigidity just limits your flexibility no matter what! Flexibility would be the biggest thing for me at least. Hope that helps!