ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 24th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #1
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): 2004 250

Help me diagnose this clunking...video inside.

I noticed the chain...I suspect it's the chain anyway, would clunk when I rolled the bike around. Nothing really noticeable when you're actually riding though.

Anyway, I loosened the chain up a little bit and it's not even close to as bad as it is in the video now. It still clicks a little but nothing like that.

I'm trying to figure out what's causing it though. Chain slack is within spec, the rear wheel is aligned and I measured to confirm. I lube the chain like twice a week. The only thing I'm thinking is that it might be the age of the chain maybe? It's 12 years old. Bike has 8K miles so it was never replaced.

Ideas?

Link to original page on YouTube.

maverick31210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #2
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
That is most definitely an overtightened chain.

Inspect your chain carefully. I'm willing to bet you'll find that there are worn parts and tight parts which will translate into an overly tight chain adjustment, or an overly loose chain adjustment. Depending on the orientation of the chain, and where the tight and loose parts are, you'll adjust the chain one way, and half a turn later it will be incorrectly adjusted. Easy way to check:

1.) adjust the chain.
2.) rotate one full rotation - throughout rotation, check chain tightness specification. If it changes, your chain is worn and needs to be replaced.

You may ask "what wears on the chain" - the links don't stretch, the rollers which contact the sprockets wear out. They are essentially bushings, right? So they might wear out and become oval on the inside. When this roller lands on the sprocket, it doesn't always land in the same way, and can increase or decrease the tension on the chain by a significant amount.

I recommend you replace the chain and sprockets. (Sprockets because worn sprockets will wear out a new chain much faster).

The previous owner must have neglected that chain to a great extent.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 24th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Time for a new chain and sprockets, 8k on a chain that wasn't maintained properly is no surprise.

It will make a nice winter project.

And this should have been posted in PreGen tech section @Alex please move.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2015, 03:56 PM   #4
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

here's something to consider in a situation like this:

The manufacturer specified chain-slack adjustment is a "protective" measure, and not just for the chain itself, but also for one item on the engine. This relatively delicate item is the large bearing on the counter-sprocket end of the transmission output shaft.

If you run a motorcycle with an over-tight chain it can cause this bearing to fail due to excessive load stress.

To determine if your EX250 has a problem with this bearing you need to take the chain off and spin the counter sprocket (with the transmission in neutral) to see if the output shaft bearing (located just behind it) is making noise.

The bearing I'm talking about is "92045" on this drawing: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...ION/parts.html
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2015, 04:17 PM   #5
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): 2004 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Time for a new chain and sprockets, 8k on a chain that wasn't maintained properly is no surprise.

It will make a nice winter project.

And this should have been posted in PreGen tech section @Alex please move.
LOL winter?

Chain and sprockets shouldn't take more than 45 minutes and 10 of those are cigarette breaks.

....unless I'm missing something here? I banged out the valves in a couple of hours, I don't see why chain and sprockets would take very long.
maverick31210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2015, 06:56 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to pre-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote