ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 17th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #1
phhnk
ninjette.org newbie

Name: phhnk

Motorcycle(s): None yet

what HID bulb & projector should i get?

if i want to modified my ninja headlight, what HID bulb & projector should i get???
i know the HID bulb type is H7 for the ninja 250r, but i want the HID high+low beam in one beam.
also is the HID projector have different?? becoz i have search, it seem like some kind of projector fit some knid of HID bulb, different kind fit different kind..
phhnk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

DIY - HID Headlight Conversion

All of our DIY (Do-It-Yourself) threads can be found in this sticky thread at the top of the tech section.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #3
phhnk
ninjette.org newbie

is dosen't answer my question...
is any kind projector will fit H7 HID bulb??
and how to get high & low beam together??

Old January 18th, 2011, 03:31 AM   #4
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Projectors are housings for HID bulbs, they control the light from scattering. In order to use projectors you need to disassemble your headlight housing and modify the stock reflector to fit them in.
They make bixenon projectors with a flap in them that blocks the light to switch from high to low.

The problem with putting projectors in the stock 08+ Ninja 250 housing is there is not enough depth for them to fit without having to do major work. Most people just use H7 HID bulbs in the stock housing.

Relevant link http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54365
Post # 18 has pics of my Bi-xenon setup.
Ken08Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #5
phhnk
ninjette.org newbie

so did you use H4 Bi-xenon bulb??becoz i don't see H7 have Bi-xenon bulb....
Bi-xenon=HID low beam + HID high beam In one bulb, right???

if is what u the "bixenon projectors with a flap in them that blocks the light to switch from high to low", so i can just use H7 bulb to put in any kind of projector, still can make like a hi/lo beam in one bulb, but have the do some HL major work??

is there have many kind of projector?? or just have one kind??

Old January 18th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #6
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

with HID's, there is only one bulb for both Hi and Lo beams. in a Bi-Xenon Projector setup, there's a little flap that's actuated by a solenoid that controls the cut off of the beam. I have heard of some bi-xenon setups that actually move the bulb with a solenoid to emulate the two seperate filaments that would be in a halogen bulb, but those would only work in a halogen reflector without projectors.

it really doesn't matter what bulb and projector you go with, since most projectors aren't going to fit without a little cutting. Most importantly you'll need bulbs that match the projectors (H7 projector takes H7 bulbs, D2S Projectors use D2S bulbs, etc no matter what the bike takes) and since the ninjette doesn't use a standard h7 socket anyway, you will be just pushing a couple spade terminals into the factory wire harness anyway. The projectors I want to use if I ever get around to it are the Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-Xenon projectors. they are very small, but have a very nice wide beam and excellent cutoff. They use a D2S bulb. until I get around to it tho, I'm just using H7 bulbs in the factory halogen reflectors without projectors.

Keep in mind, no matter what projector you decide to use, you will have to pull apart the headlight housing, as they aren't going to fit in from the back. if you just want to use the halogen reflectors, you can put the HID bulbs in from the back like regular bulbs (you'll likely need to fab up or modify an existing spacer, DDM kits come with a spacer that's easily modified) and hook them up to your ballasts.

here's a vid of the morimoto projectors so you can see how they work.

Link to original page on YouTube.

kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by phhnk View Post
so did you use H4 Bi-xenon bulb??becoz i don't see H7 have Bi-xenon bulb....
Bi-xenon=HID low beam + HID high beam In one bulb, right???
I used a H7 kit from here http://xebritehidsystems.webs.com/bprsystem.htm
Yes Bi-xenon = low & high beam in one bulb. I now haave two low beams on all the time and two high beams with the flip of the switch.

if is what u the "bixenon projectors with a flap in them that blocks the light to switch from high to low", so i can just use H7 bulb to put in any kind of projector, still can make like a hi/lo beam in one bulb, but have the do some HL major work??
The bulbs have to be the type that the projector takes. And yes it was a lot of work to make my H7 kit fit beneath the headlight lens cover.

is there have many kind of projector?? or just have one kind??
There is multiple OE headlights that people have made work on other bikes/ cars and various companies make aftermarket ones. The Morimoto Mini ones that Kamikaze posted may fit better then the ones i used.
Ken08Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #8
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
since the ninjette doesn't use a standard h7 socket anyway
Hey, just curious what you mean? what other type of H7's are out there?
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #9
kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Hey, just curious what you mean? what other type of H7's are out there?
when I put my HID bulbs in a couple weeks ago, I found that the h7 bulb is plugged into an adapter, and the adapter plugs into the harness, but the pins on the adapter are further apart than the pins on an H7 bulb. What I mean is that you can't plug an H7 bulb directly into the harness without that adapter, because the pins are too far apart on the harness.

so to clarify, I should have said that the harness isn't a standard H7 socket, it's a different socket with an H7 adapter (spacer) for the regular halogen bulbs. I guess if you wanted, you could take that adapter off the bulb and put it back on the harness and then you'd have a standard H7 socket to plug the ballasts (or in my case, the relay harness) into, but I didn't bother.

Old January 19th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #10
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

thanks for clarifying! Kinda odd that Kawasaki wouldn't just install a standard H7 harness. I wonder if the harness is actually an H4 and they just used an adapter?

Old January 19th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #11
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

In addition to what kamikaze posted about the morimoto mini....Lightwerkz offers a modified version called the Mini H1:

http://www.lightwerkz.net/news/2010/...on-projectors/

It's been modified to have a clear lens and supposedly gives superior performance to the fabled FXR projector and the original mini design. It's available through lightwerkz. You can contact Cesar over there, as he's quite friendly to deal with. In terms of adaptability, the morimoto mini is as small as it gets I think.

Also, I"m not sure if this has been touched upon in the past, and I didn't go through the original thread that Alex posted, but putting an HID bulb in a halogen projector scatters the light incorrectly and not only results in less than optimal performance from you HID kit, but also blinds the hell out of oncoming traffic.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #12
kamikaze

Quote:
thanks for clarifying! Kinda odd that Kawasaki wouldn't just install a standard H7 harness. I wonder if the harness is actually an H4 and they just used an adapter?
could be, I'm not too familiar with the H4 connectors. a quick search shows them having 3 pins tho, but the 2 vertical pins look to be about the right distance apart (as in a little wider than the pins on an H7 socket)

Old January 19th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #13
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
In addition to what kamikaze posted about the morimoto mini....Lightwerkz offers a modified version called the Mini H1:

http://www.lightwerkz.net/news/2010/...on-projectors/

It's been modified to have a clear lens and supposedly gives superior performance to the fabled FXR projector and the original mini design. It's available through lightwerkz. You can contact Cesar over there, as he's quite friendly to deal with. In terms of adaptability, the morimoto mini is as small as it gets I think.

Also, I"m not sure if this has been touched upon in the past, and I didn't go through the original thread that Alex posted, but putting an HID bulb in a halogen projector scatters the light incorrectly and not only results in less than optimal performance from you HID kit, but also blinds the hell out of oncoming traffic.
With utmost respect, I disagree.

I don't see how they can say better than the FXR. When comparing projector lenses, unless you have machines able to verify how much light is being output, it's all subjective. Their ad says it performs better so they can sell more of their lenses.

I have a set of Morimoto mini D2S's and they look pretty darn clear to me as well. I retrofitted my stealth with OEM FX35 projectors as well and they were clear too.

I think people get into a lot of hype over minutiae that really doesn't matter in real life. That "clear lens" isn't going to really output any distinguishable light compared to an FX projector. When you adjust your beams, you adjust them to slope at a certain angle down to the road or on the trunk of the vehicle in front of you. This pretty much means that as long as the lights and projectors can output more than 25', it's not really going to make a difference on what projector you use because it ends up on the ground. Nitpicking on which one is more clear is useless imo.

I've also installed a set of HID's into halogen projectors and they're just fine as well. Altho, some halogen projectors are not as good as others, the ones in a 3000gt work pretty well. The beam isn't too scattered and definitely doesn't blind any on coming traffic. Particularly if you adjust the beams correctly. I do agree that HID's into Halogen reflectors are a no-no.

Old January 19th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #14
Flashmonkey

Quote:
With utmost respect, I disagree.

I don't see how they can say better than the FXR. When comparing projector lenses, unless you have machines able to verify how much light is being output, it's all subjective. Their ad says it performs better so they can sell more of their lenses.

I have a set of Morimoto mini D2S's and they look pretty darn clear to me as well. I retrofitted my stealth with OEM FX35 projectors as well and they were clear too.

I think people get into a lot of hype over minutiae that really doesn't matter in real life. That "clear lens" isn't going to really output any distinguishable light compared to an FX projector. When you adjust your beams, you adjust them to slope at a certain angle down to the road or on the trunk of the vehicle in front of you. This pretty much means that as long as the lights and projectors can output more than 25', it's not really going to make a difference on what projector you use because it ends up on the ground. Nitpicking on which one is more clear is useless imo.

I've also installed a set of HID's into halogen projectors and they're just fine as well. Altho, some halogen projectors are not as good as others, the ones in a 3000gt work pretty well. The beam isn't too scattered and definitely doesn't blind any on coming traffic. Particularly if you adjust the beams correctly. I do agree that HID's into Halogen reflectors are a no-no.
Actually I just went back to the link and it says it's on par with the FXR retrofit. My bad.

I presented that mini H1 projector as an alternate option in the event that the OP didn't want to use d2s bulbs for whatever reason.

And I agree 100% that some halogen projectors will work, but in this case, a projector will have to be retrofitted in regardless, and a halogen projector is still a compromise. Might as well get it right from the ground up if you're gonna go through all of the trouble. Basically, anything will be better than just dumping and HID into a halogen reflector. I really wish people would stop doing that haha.

Old January 19th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #15
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

The article doesn't mention the dimensions. Kinda odd that it doesn't. From the pics it looks like it's about as long as the FX, which would put it near 7" iirc. That's a bit too long for our housing. The mini D2S is 5" and seems to fit pretty well. I haven't nearly finished my retrofit tho. Still waiting on the 2nd set of shrouds I ordered to see which ones I like better.

Old January 19th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #16
Flashmonkey

Quote:
The article doesn't mention the dimensions. Kinda odd that it doesn't. From the pics it looks like it's about as long as the FX, which would put it near 7" iirc. That's a bit too long for our housing. The mini D2S is 5" and seems to fit pretty well. I haven't nearly finished my retrofit tho. Still waiting on the 2nd set of shrouds I ordered to see which ones I like better.
Ya the lack of dimension info is frustrating haha. It looks like the swapped out lens adds in a bit of unwanted length there so you may be right. I doubt that mini H1 projector was intended for a housing as small as the ninja's.

Pics when you're done please. I'd love to see what you finally end up with!

Edit: Actually I found this: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=221

Which appears to be the same as what lightwerkz is selling. They list the depth as 5.35". They also list the D2S version which has a depth of 5.00" flat.