ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #1
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Chest Protection

So I was wondering how many of you guys wear chest protection regularly? I just bought the forcefield sub4 back protector and there is also a chest protector that can go along with it. It looks kind of tedious/too much work to put on tho. And I know that a piece of gear could be the best ever but it's worthless if you're not gonna wear it because it takes too much time to put on. I'm just not sure if I want to buy it, I kind of need to be convinced first. What would you guys recommend?

Has anybody here ever been in an accident where they wish they had a chest protector?

What are some situations where chest armor would save you from pain and harm?

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #2
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesio View Post
... What are some situations where chest armor would save you from pain and harm?
Riding backwoods roads - two lane asphalt - and birds decide to fly too low. Does not happen often but a bluejay at 50 mph leaves a large owie.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #3
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

If you highside it can do some good

Old July 4th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #4
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I'm glad I had my chest protector today, if not, i might not be typing this right now.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #5
rusninja

what happen

Old July 4th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
I just bought the forcefield sub4 back protector and there is also a chest protector that can go along with it. It looks kind of tedious/too much work to put on tho.
Look at your back piece and see how the chest piece would connect. Judging from the pictures it doesn't look like more than just a couple of straps to hook it up with the back piece and some velcro straps in the front to hold it tight to your chest. I can't imagine it being tedious at all. I'm pretty sure once you connect it to the back piece you can just leave them together and slip the whole combo over your head and then onto you back and chest. Good choice going with the Forcefield Pro Sub 4

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #7
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

My jacket has a slot on either side where I could insert a chest protector piece. It's not a full chest, but it should do the job. Of course, I haven't really answered your question, but when I went jacket shopping that was one of the things I was looking at, how much armor could I stuff in it so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Old July 4th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #8
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Look at your back piece and see how the chest piece would connect. Judging from the pictures it doesn't look like more than just a couple of straps to hook it up with the back piece and some velcro straps in the front to hold it tight to your chest. I can't imagine it being tedious at all. I'm pretty sure once you connect it to the back piece you can just leave them together and slip the whole combo over your head and then onto you back and chest. Good choice going with the Forcefield Pro Sub 4

Hmm, I didn't think of doing it that way but that's a good idea. I haven't got the back protector in yet but when I do I'll check it out. It seems that would work tho from what the pics show. And thanks, I was just goin to get an insert for my jacket but then somebody had posted a link to your thread about these pieces and after reading and researching I was sold. Besides your head, your spine has to be the next most important thing to protect so I figured I might as well get something good. What I really love about this pad is that it extends past the tailbone..I could imagine tailbone injuries are brutal. It irks me to think of breaking the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
I'm glad I had my chest protector today, if not, i might not be typing this right now.
No sh*t, bro? What happened? Did you go down today during the group ride?

Old July 5th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #9
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
what happen

I made a boo boo, and smacked my chest on the handle bar or something(not sure). It was really painful... never felt anything like that before, good thing I have this lil chest protector that I think saved my life.

@jamesio
yup, I was riding way over my limit. and when I realize that, it was too late. (I was following this veteran rider, who got agitated cause someone pissed him off and then he went on superman mode... ) anyway I'm glad I was on full gear. but next time I'm wearing full leathers cause i have this roadrash on the side of my upper hip, and its a PITA hehehe. but the ride was awesome the roads that we took was breath taking can't wait to do it again.

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #10
rusninja

you have the icon vest right :O?

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #11
kaiserz

yeah I do. I'm also planning to get something CErated. but I'm glad I had the vest

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

I wear a Dainese Thorax chest protector underneath my Alien jacket. Go find my review on it in the "what's in your closet thread"
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #13
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Ive been looking at chest protection aswell and the only one i have found locally is the Icon Field armor vest, im just wondering is this is more for looks that actual protection

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #14
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I'm pretty careful with my gear selection and tend toward the safety-nazi side of things, and even I think a chest protector is probably overkill for streeet riding. The pros don't use them for road racing, and the types of getoffs you have doing street riding involve impact and sliding on parts of your body that aren't your chest. Plus, if you are in the right riding position with a street bike, the chest protector is really going to get in the way and be annoying. Basically, if the pros, who are crashing at 100+mph don't wear 'em, and don't seem to pick up many chest injuries, I don't see much of point.

I can see how in a situation with cars involved, things are a bit crazier than a track situation, and that there are other obstacles we face that are carefully removed from a track situation, so I can see an argument for having one I guess. I'm just not ready to go there.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; July 7th, 2011 at 09:13 AM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #15
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

My main concern is my back, My jacket is a textile with armour but it lacks protection around the spine area. The Icon vest does have what looks to be some good spine protection but im not really sure, ive heard mixed reviews on them.

Old July 7th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #16
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
My main concern is my back, My jacket is a textile with armour but it lacks protection around the spine area. The Icon vest does have what looks to be some good spine protection but im not really sure, ive heard mixed reviews on them.
I feel the same as you, beside my noggin, my back is the next most important thing.

If you are looking for exceptional protection look into the forcefield sub4 back protector. I ordered mine and will put a review up when I get it. Do some research on it...it's supposed to be the best of the best.

@ gfloyd

I kind of agree with you...I'm all about gear and safety and I'm looking forward to getting my sub4 back protector but I feel like a chest pad might be over kill. i.e. it could turn out to be a piece of gear, that if I buy, will not get any use...which makes it essentially worthless.

Old July 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #17
kaiserz

Yes there's a small chance that you will be hit in the chest, but having a chest protector won't hurt. and there are a lot of people who've been killed because they didn't have any chest protector, it's better to be safe than sorry. But I'm still glad that I had my new icon vest thing the one with d3o cause I'm pretty sure I smacked my chest on my handlebar and felt excruciating pain that I've never felt before. Anyway Ride safe you'all (:

Old July 7th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #18
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Yeah i think i will be getting one just for the "incase sh*t happens" factor. I also see lots of squid riders with no gear but a helmet and vest (usually the Icon ones) just overtop of their t-shirts, Will this actually do anything or is it purely just for looks?

Old July 7th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #19
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
Yes there's a small chance that you will be hit in the chest, but having a chest protector won't hurt. and there are a lot of people who've been killed because they didn't have any chest protector, it's better to be safe than sorry. But I'm still glad that I had my new icon vest thing the one with d3o cause I'm pretty sure I smacked my chest on my handlebar and felt excruciating pain that I've never felt before. Anyway Ride safe you'all (:
What part of the handlebar did you hit/how did you end up doing that?

Old July 7th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #20
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Talking

Quote:
So I was wondering how many of you guys wear chest protection regularly? I just bought the forcefield sub4 back protector and there is also a chest protector that can go along with it. It looks kind of tedious/too much work to put on tho. And I know that a piece of gear could be the best ever but it's worthless if you're not gonna wear it because it takes too much time to put on. I'm just not sure if I want to buy it, I kind of need to be convinced first. What would you guys recommend?

Has anybody here ever been in an accident where they wish they had a chest protector?

What are some situations where chest armor would save you from pain and harm?
When I went down over a year ago...I WISH I had my ICON chest protector on...thought I broke a rib....**** happens...just yesterday 2 guys low sided...I wear my chest protector ALL the time no matter what! I like my organs intact. Better safe than sorry...
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #21
rusninja

if you get the icon vest speeddemon get the strkyer http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...r-stryker-vest

Old July 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #22
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
if you get the icon vest speeddemon get the strkyer http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...r-stryker-vest
Just picked one up should be here in a week or so thanks for the advice i was leaning more towards the Field Armor but looking at the two of them the strkyer looks like it has more padding and seems like the best vest within that price range

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #23
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Just make sure your back protector covers your shoulder blades. Its important when your sliding on your back at the track.
Ask me how I know.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #24
kaiserz

Quote:
What part of the handlebar did you hit/how did you end up doing that?
to be honest I have no idea what part of the bike got me in the chest(one of riders I was with said that MAYBE my chest smashed the handlebars cause It was bent), but I know i got hit in the chest hard, cause like I said before I've never felt anything like that, I can't even move cause of the pain and also there's a mark on my jacket that something got me in my chest.

BTW I got the stryker vest, it has the d3o thing on the back and chest and it's one of the best $100 I spent in my life, but this time I'm gonna get something CE rated, and something that will cover my whole chest. also ride safe guys, and ride your own ride (;

Ohh my gloves also saved me so if you guys want to spend more on your gloves (; get the one with the knox/palm sliders / wrist sliders

Old July 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #25
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Just make sure your back protector covers your shoulder blades. Its important when your sliding on your back at the track.
Ask me how I know.
any suggestions?

Old July 7th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #26
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I rock one of these at the track.
http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/pro...hp?prod=KC28BK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carbonproracer.jpg (21.3 KB, 0 views)

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #27
almost40

I use this one for the street. Light, comfortable, good quality from china anyway. On ebay for Less than $50. If your not gona go crazy and just want to enjoy the ride. This one works fine. Once the speeds hit triple figures I perfer the added protection of the bohn.
BTW In my first crash at the track I was wearing this back protector and It worked quite well.
When I got the 600 and the speeds went up I invested in the Bohn. If money is an issue and the choice is this one, or none at all. I would buy this for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back protector.jpg (42.4 KB, 2 views)

Old July 8th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #28
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

almost40 do you have any insite on the Icon Strkyer??

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #29
almost40

Never used one. Looks like a quality piece. I just perfer to have my shoulder blades covered. When I laid down the 600 (6 weeks ago) I went down on my right shoulder / shoulder blade area. You can see the outline of the pad that protects my shoulder blade on my leathers. Looks like I slid for a good distance on that pad alone.

Old July 24th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #30
jonnyc
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 250

I good friend's best friend just passed away 2 weeks ago. He died from chest injuries. I do not know the entire store, only got bits and pieces from my friend. Understandably he didn't go into detail. From what I understood, he was doing a wheelie on a main street in the city, accounts from other people he was riding with say that he was only doing 25mph. Some how he lost control, he was riding in the back so they didn't actually see what happen but they heard the bike rev hard, like red line. Mind you he was on an R6. like I said I don't have the entire story, not sure how he got the injuries or even what type of injuries other than chest and head injuries. Doctors told him the chest injuries were the cause.

I actually rode with him 2 weeks prior to this, unfortunately he was not the atgatt, he was helmet only guy, shorts and t-shirt.

MAY GOD BLESS HIS SOUL.

Since hearing this, I am looking for chest protectors also.

Already have: Speed and strength Leather jacket, with upgraded knox back protector + all the standard ce armor, textile/mesh overpants with knee armor, Gloves, Shift kicker boots, and scorpion helmet.
jonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #31
kaiserz

That's just sad. and thank you for the post, I hope people will see this, and get some chest armor too, cause I've been reading a lot of posts that people died from chest injuries. also I don't get it when people say that they don't get chest protectors cause the pros don't have them. I think that there are lot more dangerous stuff out there on the streets, compared to the track.

Anyway I'm happy that I have my lil chest protector, that I'm pretty sure saved my life once.

Ride safe guys

Old July 25th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #32
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

The Dainese Thorax protector is about 60$, doesn't reduce airflow and does not interfere with my riding position, from relaxed to aggressive. Very little trouble for CE Level 2 over my entire front rib cage.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #33
kaiserz

Link to original page on YouTube.

a lot of motorcyclist dies from chest related injuries. ride safe guys.

Old July 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #34
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Yeah I also started getting a little paranoid about my unprotected chest in my first jacket, so I bought the alpinestars gp-r jacket which has chest pads you can upgrade and they have their own pockets (I upgraded). I think the majority of astars jackets have chest pads in the jacket. I didn't want to have extra crap to strap on and they seem like a good compromise.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote