ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old January 30th, 2019, 08:27 AM   #1
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

Name: Mikey

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja ex250

NEED HELP!!!!! 07 ninja ex250 won’t start

I just picked up an 07 ninja 250 ex and i took carbs out cleaned them(leaked when I was done) took them off again re cleaned about 7 times anyway the bike turns over (when jumped from terminals (dead batt) anyway dead battery but turns over and gets spark and gas is getting to the motor (gas on plugs) but it won’t start I’ve heard it backfire 1 time and that’s it the motor only has 14000 on it. Looking to fix it but I have no clue what it could be (besides the batt) if u could help out that would be great
Oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2019, 08:52 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi Mikey and welcome!

You may have multiple issues here, so let's tackle them one at time.

1. cam-timing take off valve-cover, rotate engine by hand to TDC and verify each cam is oriented correctly.

2. valve-clearance adjustment. Out of spec clearance would prevent engine from starting... well, depends upon how far out they are

3. ignition. Pull ignition wire and stick spare plug into it. Lay on top of engine so case is grounded. Crank engine, do you see a hot blue spark?

4. fuel. Most likely culprit. Visible wet fuel on plugs means you're getting, way, way too much. Liquid petrol does not combust. My school shop teacher shows us scary demonstration by throwing lit match into bucket of petrol! It went out! Only when you vapourise small amount of petrol with lots of air does it ignite.

Probably someone previously thought more fuel is better and monkeyed with your carbs to add more fuel. Verify all jets are factory-sized and idle-mixture screws should be 2.5-turns out.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2019, 08:55 AM   #3
dodgerdad
ninjette.org guru

Name: Hector

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Did you set the air mixture screws to about 2.5 turns out? Did you drain the tank and put in NEW gasoline?

Old January 30th, 2019, 09:04 AM   #4
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

Yes tank was completely empty but a little rusty put alcohol and fuel and stuck a chain inside it and shook it a lot to get rust out then drained and let dry before hooking up to carbs I’m going to have to check the idle screws bc I’m not too sure but I wasn’t for sure about the battery situation my kz650 needs a full 12 v before it will start and won’t start with jumper cables so I’m a little iffy on it the bike sounds like it has compression but I don’t have a tester to check

Old January 30th, 2019, 09:06 AM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

If you're near AutoZone they have free tool-rental program. Compression-test would be good start as it will tell you condition of rings along with cam-timing and valve-clearance in single test. Should be in +200psi range. I still suspect carbs issue.

Old January 30th, 2019, 09:10 AM   #6
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

It’s an 07 with 14000 miles I’ll go ahead and check on valves Tdc and etc how would I go about checking timing I have bright blue spark out of both plugs

Old January 30th, 2019, 09:51 AM   #7
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
if an individual is not sure of the position of the pilot screws after doing a carb service that usually means they weren't actually removed during the cleaning service.

And by not removing them...it means your carbs are NOT truly clean.

The pilot jet to pilot screw passage is vitally important to vigorously clear. Both screw and jet MUST be removed to fully access and service the circuit, returning to accepted starting position of 2.5 turns. (Further setting/tuning , bike hot, for highest RPM for each cylinder is advised, up to the individual to take the time and effort.... and avoid burning oneself! )

Minimum compressed air (powerful, not the canned stuff) and carb cleaner required in this application.

FWIW...always wise to replace the tiny orings and clean/polish the metering tip of the pilot screw whilst you're in there, too!

NEVER start a carb service without full kits/orings and float valves in hand.
These are consumables with replacement needs, never meant to last the life of the bike.

Good luck with it, hope the above helps and you work it out easily.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2019, 09:54 AM   #8
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

They were taken out I’m just not sure if there 2.5 out or not I count turns out and sent them in the same amount

Old January 30th, 2019, 10:39 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
They were taken out I’m just not sure if there 2.5 out or not I count turns out and sent them in the same amount
The initial setting is irrelevant as long as it is close enough to keep it running. 2.5 turns out is usually pretty close, but plan to adjust it.

Once the engine is fully warm you need adjust them to the optimal setting, which changes with numerous factors like temperature, mods, type of gas, etc.

Idle mixture adjustment - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...dle_mixture%3F

You also want to sync the carbs and set the idle speed to 1300 when you are done.

There are other factors that can affect how the engine runs and idles, including mods, air filter condition, jetting, other settings, and valve adjustment.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2019, 10:53 AM   #10
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

Jkv45

Can u guide me through timing I’m gunna check that here soon I don’t wanna dig in and screw up so if u could tell me what to look for that would be great

Old January 30th, 2019, 05:48 PM   #11
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

Alright update!!

So I took valve cover off looked great somebody definitely rebuilt it motor was clean four a manual for it online figured out how to time it and it was already timed out it all back together went to start it and I sprayed starting fluid in it and it started but wasn’t picking up fuel took carb back out noticed I forgot the small jet next to big main jet well anyway I pulled them out and someone had drilled them out is there a problem with that or is it fine?

Old January 30th, 2019, 08:19 PM   #12
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Alright update!!

So I took valve cover off looked great somebody definitely rebuilt it motor was clean four a manual for it online figured out how to time it and it was already timed out it all back together went to start it and I sprayed starting fluid in it and it started but wasn’t picking up fuel took carb back out noticed I forgot the small jet next to big main jet well anyway I pulled them out and someone had drilled them out is there a problem with that or is it fine?
Forgot the pilot jet? forgot to remove? Clean? Replace?

Drilled jets out to remove? Visible damage? Or to resize? Oversized visible to eye?

To expect accurate answers, please clarify on all counts, please.

Old January 30th, 2019, 08:23 PM   #13
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

Yes forgot to pull the pilot jet out when went through the carburetor I took it off again today bc it would only start and run on starting fluid and when I took it apart I thoroughly looked at it and I noticed the jets and I pulled them out and they have been drilled out in the center to make the jets bigger will that hurt anything

Old January 30th, 2019, 08:26 PM   #14
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

I’m sorry I’m new to this stuff so if I’m making it a little difficult to understand I’m sorry I’m just trying to get it to run

Old January 30th, 2019, 09:02 PM   #15
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Starting fluid is not a path to a repair, on the contrary can do permanent damage to the costly slide rubbers. Its use will not correct the root of the problem.

The pilot jets are drilled so large that you, being "new to this stuff" can tell?
Not sure what would motivate someone to create that destruction.

Yes, a return to new, correct pilot jets would be highly recommended.
Keihin size 38 pilot is what the factory supplied. That would be the first, obvious recommendation. I believe I've got them in stock.

Its dawning on me, if pilots have been radically drilled...what other "tricks" did a previous owner do to the carbs? A scary thought.

Are the main jets marked with a size? Tiny, stamped on the side of the jet.
Needles have numbers? Are they adjustable (with a clip?) indicating a jet kit is installed.

Beyond replacing pilot jets, there may be more involved.

Your carburetors need careful review in and out, top to bottom......now knowing that someone irresponsibly hacked the pilots...WHAT ELSE DID THEY DO? OR NOT DO?

Does the bike have factory airbox and exhaust installed?

I dunno...you may want to consider my services. It would certainly cut to the chase.

Old January 30th, 2019, 09:13 PM   #16
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

I’ve worked on a few bikes of my own and was taught a little about bikes and I kno the pilot jet is a very small jet with a small opening these pilots holes aren’t that small so I’m pretty sure they have been drilled or something I’ll get a pic tomorrow when I go to work on it tomorrow

Old January 31st, 2019, 03:17 AM   #17
DannoXYZ

Do search for "clean carbs ducatiman" to see what it really takes to refurb carbs back to factory-fresh condition. You may find it would take you an extraordinary amount of time to really restore those carbs. Ducatiman can get it back to you within week or so and you'll be riding in no time!

Old January 31st, 2019, 07:12 AM   #18
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Sounds like you need to replace all of the jets and check for other rookie carb mods.

Drilled jets will mess everything up, so I'd replace all of them.

It also sounds like all of your problems are carb related. If you want it done completely, absolutely, positively right, you need to talk to ducatiman. They will be good as new and almost perfectly adjusted when you get them back.

If you choose to do it yourself, be prepared to struggle a bit and remove/disassemble/reassemble/install the carbs a few times before you get it right.

Old January 31st, 2019, 07:33 AM   #19
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
@Oldskool you've listed your location as "Rusk"...exactly where is that?

Old January 31st, 2019, 08:06 AM   #20
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

Rusk is a town in Texas. How much is it for ducatiman to do a carb

Old January 31st, 2019, 08:47 AM   #21
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Send him a PM. Prices may vary with the amount of labor and parts needed.

Whatever it is, it's worth it if you want all of your carb issues completely resolved.

Old January 31st, 2019, 09:18 AM   #22
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
so, providing no pics of drilled pilot jets?

Last futzed with by ducatiman; February 1st, 2019 at 11:13 AM.

Old February 13th, 2019, 06:50 AM   #23
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Compared to the frustration of dealing with the carbs, about half what he should.

Send him a PM, it depends what work they need and what parts, sounds like yours may need some parts
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2019, 09:41 AM   #24
JackTheAlbatross
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Ninja Kawasaki 250r 2006

Quote:
Rusk is not too far from where I live! I sent my carbs to Ducatiman and shipping was really cheap. The time it took for it to get back to me was insanely quick too. Definitely give him a PM if you want to without question eliminate the possibility of your carbs being the issue.
JackTheAlbatross is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2019, 07:33 PM   #25
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

Sorry everyone I haven’t been on for a while I got a carb kit and bike started up I now have a problem with pcv or something at first oil and gas were pouring out of the air breather but I changed the oil and haven’t started since

Old February 15th, 2019, 07:35 PM   #26
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

I’m sure the gas came from flooding the engine for long periods of times but to be sure I changed it there was(4 quarts of oil gas mix when drained)

Old February 16th, 2019, 09:01 AM   #27
DannoXYZ

Glad to hear you're making progress!

Petrol from flooding engine with too much goes out tailpipe when engine is cranking. More likely float-valves weren't sealing and gas dribbled into engine that's stationary (sitting & not spinning). Did you replace float-valves? O-rings for pilot jet?

Old February 16th, 2019, 09:04 AM   #28
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

Are you talking about the needle?

Old February 16th, 2019, 09:15 AM   #29
DannoXYZ

The float-valves are #16030. They are pushed up by floats and seals off fuel-inlet from gravity pressure. Otherwise, fuel continues to flow into carbs, fills up bowl and pushes out jets and dribbles down into engine.

While at university, I got my first VF500F for free because guy thought he seized engine. Upon closer inspection, crankcase was completely filled with petrol and engine wouldn't crank or bump-start. Leaky float-valves was culprit. I went back and gave him $500 for it.

Old February 16th, 2019, 09:17 AM   #30
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

Yes they were replaced I’ve just always called them a needle valve

Old February 16th, 2019, 05:37 PM   #31
DannoXYZ

Replaced with stock sizes?

- pilot jet
- pilot needle & O-ring
- main jet

Also:

- soaked in caustic radioactive solvents in ultrasonic cleaner?
- flossed through all hidden fuel-circuits in carb?
- soda-blased all fuel-circuits?

Old February 16th, 2019, 06:38 PM   #32
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

I pulled apart and dipped it in a can of carb cleaner then soda blasted and redipped then dried out put a pipe cleaner through the ports and re built it with new stock sized jets and even put new floats

Old February 16th, 2019, 08:42 PM   #33
DannoXYZ

did you floss all hidden secret passages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Here are the secret passages in the carbs. They are kind of hard to figure out sometimes and this picture guide will show where they are for cleaning purposes.

Carb Pilot jet Circuit

Carb Main Jet Circuit

Carb Fuel and Overflow Drain

Carb Diaphragm Intake, upper choke and vacuum ports

Carb Choke Circuit

Old February 16th, 2019, 08:47 PM   #34
DannoXYZ

Also disassemble carbs down to individual components for thorough cleaning of each part?

Take apart emulsion tube into constituent parts: main jet, holder, needle jet collar. Note how needle-jet collar is oriented so you can re-assemble later same way. Unscrew pilot jet being careful to not lose spring, washer and O-ring. Might as well replace O-ring, float-bowl seals and float-valves.

Then use soft copper wire of various diameters to poke through all tiny little orifices in all parts. Some people use guitar string to floss out secret passages in carburetor body. Blow compressed air through all circuits and verify you've got air coming out other end.

Here's good site for working on these carbs: http://www.vulcangadgets.com/files/keihin_carb.html

Old February 16th, 2019, 09:37 PM   #35
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

Yea man I got all that stuff down read a lot of different forums and videos and different websites got it done and started up fine but I never changed the oil after getting (due to being a project) so I just wanted to get it to run first but anyway the motor was full of oil fuel so I drained it replaced oil filte and oil but I haven’t gotten around to starting it yet but I plan on starting it tomorrow

Old February 16th, 2019, 11:48 PM   #36
DannoXYZ

Alright! Looking forward to it starting up and running!

Old February 17th, 2019, 03:43 AM   #37
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

If the oil has fuel in it, I believe that points towards the petcock.

Old February 17th, 2019, 09:34 AM   #38
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by spent_too_much View Post
If the oil has fuel in it, I believe that points towards the petcock.

For the carbs to overfill, the petcock is leaking and the float needle and seat are not sealing, if ether is working properly it won't fill the crankcase with gas.

Old May 6th, 2019, 06:02 PM   #39
Oldskool
ninjette.org member

Need help I had taken a break on the 07 ninja 250 and moved well picked the bike up yesterday and the ignition had been messed with and now I have no powers to anything and no spark any advice I did order a new switch off eBay and will be here soon (I understand I’m going to have to put on a resistor)

Old May 12th, 2019, 06:09 PM   #40
Sig99
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 1993 katana 600 (sold) 1999 gsxr750 srad (sold) 1991 zx10 (blown)2016 grom 125 (sold) 2006 ninja 250r (current

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Also disassemble carbs down to individual components for thorough cleaning of each part?

Take apart emulsion tube into constituent parts: main jet, holder, needle jet collar. Note how needle-jet collar is oriented so you can re-assemble later same way. Unscrew pilot jet being careful to not lose spring, washer and O-ring. Might as well replace O-ring, float-bowl seals and float-valves.

Then use soft copper wire of various diameters to poke through all tiny little orifices in all parts. Some people use guitar string to floss out secret passages in carburetor body. Blow compressed air through all circuits and verify you've got air coming out other end.

Here's good site for working on these carbs: http://www.vulcangadgets.com/files/keihin_carb.html
danno, what is the stock main jet size on a pre gen ninja 250? im getting pod filters and dont want to spend 100$ on a jetting kit, so i want a ball park of what size jets im going to want
Sig99 is offline   Reply With Quote