Old March 24th, 2019, 02:32 PM   #1
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Science of Being Seen

https://scienceofbeingseen.wordpress...hb_WggVjkykHWo

Science of being seen. Why people will look your way and cut in front of you anyway, and why visibility campaigns don't necessarily help. What seems to be effective are more bikes on the road, wearing gear that contrasts with whatever the surrounding area is, simpler intersections, and maybe better car design (with smaller roof pillars so less of your view is blocked).

I like how it goes through the science of vision. It can get a bit repetitive, but other than that, it's good info. We still need to ride as though people are going to do the dumb thing, but it's nice to know why.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old March 24th, 2019, 03:25 PM   #2
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great article! Thanks for sharing!
I always ride as if I’m invisible and no one can see me. I don’t know if this helps but I try to make eye contact (well look in there direction) as much as possible.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2019, 08:50 PM   #3
CaliGrrl

Yep! I ride as if I'm invisible and the other guy's going to do the dumb thing. How do I stay away from where they can hurt me? I've gotten quite good at keeping riding/driving room around myself, and controlling what some of the other drivers do.

I found the science behind eyes and brain to be fascinating.

Old March 25th, 2019, 07:15 AM   #4
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
https://scienceofbeingseen.wordpress...hb_WggVjkykHWo maybe better car design (with smaller roof pillars so less of your view is blocked).

We used to have thin roof pillars, but safety standards for the auto manufacturers mandated that they withstand roll overs without collapsing. But I agree, you can hide a truck behind the newer side pillars, I almost pulled out in front of a truck (2 ton job, not just a pickup) because he was hidden behind the pillar when I looked that way.
b_roof.jpg

Old March 25th, 2019, 03:53 PM   #5
CaliGrrl

No kidding. In our newer car, the pillar next to the windshield is in exactly the place pedestrians are when I pull up to an intersection. There's one intersection that due to its particular geography is bad. This is also a pedestrian-heavy intersection.... so I really have to look when going through there. I almost want the pillars moved onto the windshield or something so the side view is clearer. There's got to be a better way to get both visibility and crash protection but the current design sucks for visibility.

Old March 29th, 2019, 05:12 AM   #6
Tooch
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2015 zx10r, 2010 Ducati 848

I've had (decided) to kick a mirror off a lady's car as she was about to squish me cutting into my lane directly beside me because her interest in her taco bell outweighed her sensory perception of the loud noise coming from my r1. And it's only going to get much worse I think with rampant cell phone use and car gadgetry
Tooch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2019, 09:16 AM   #7
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
i’m a big fan of headlight modulators. they work and will keep peeps from pulling out in front of you. saved my life, many times. my brand, kisan electronics. hypelites for rear brake flashers.

Old March 29th, 2019, 10:58 AM   #8
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Nothing will stop a blind or distracted driver from switching lanes or pulling out on you. The self confessions on here show that people are NOT willing to do what’s required to compensate for the poor design or vision from their vehicle. I know I have a pillar either side that obstructs my vision & I deliberately alter my body & head position to ensure I see around this obstruction. Likewise I adopt a 4 view check when pulling out of a side road, this compensates for moving vehicles being obstructed as I look around the pillar. Basically come to a stop at the junction, then look both ways TWICE this ensures anything you might have missed on first look one way should now be visible.

But with the view on the other foot, when you know there is a hidden or poor visibility junction ahead, then adjust your speed & road position to give you & other road users the best possibility of seeing you or avoiding a collision. It’s no good being right “I was only doing the speed limit” when you wake up in hospital with broken bones &/or bike.

But as a friend discovered last week, you can’t compensate for everything, like the parked driver that decided to do a U turn in the road without looking or indicating. Leading to my friend being hit off his bike & waking up in hospital with 6 broken ribs, a tube coming out of his chest for the lung reinflation & weirdly I broken toe ! How they found that on an unconscious patient we don’t know !

Be careful out there, they ARE out to get you.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2019, 10:58 AM   #9
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Nothing will stop a blind or distracted driver from switching lanes or pulling out on you. The self confessions on here show that people are NOT willing to do what’s required to compensate for the poor design or vision from their vehicle. I know I have a pillar either side that obstructs my vision & I deliberately alter my body & head position to ensure I see around this obstruction. Likewise I adopt a 4 view check when pulling out of a side road, this compensates for moving vehicles being obstructed as I look around the pillar. Basically come to a stop at the junction, then look both ways TWICE this ensures anything you might have missed on first look one way should now be visible.

But with the view on the other foot, when you know there is a hidden or poor visibility junction ahead, then adjust your speed & road position to give you & other road users the best possibility of seeing you or avoiding a collision. It’s no good being right “I was only doing the speed limit” when you wake up in hospital with broken bones &/or bike.

But as a friend discovered last week, you can’t compensate for everything, like the parked driver that decided to do a U turn in the road without looking or indicating. Leading to my friend being hit off his bike & waking up in hospital with 6 broken ribs, a tube coming out of his chest for the lung reinflation & weirdly I broken toe ! How they found that on an unconscious patient we don’t know !

Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2019, 07:07 PM   #10
CaliGrrl

The distracted drivers make me crazy. Pay attention! It's bad enough when people are trying to be good.

Old April 14th, 2019, 08:43 AM   #11
madcow87_
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post

A police officer did this exact thing to a friend of mine and when she realised what she'd done, she flicked her flashing lights on and went off on a tirade against my friends that were out riding at the time. The friend that was hit unfortunately passed away two weeks later and the officer in question was going to get away with it scott free until one fo the other lads showed the gopro footage of the accident to police.
madcow87_ is offline   Reply With Quote