ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old October 13th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #81
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 1000 - 2011, Ninja H2 SX SE - 2018

jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM   #82
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Hello my names Jason and I'm new to your forum. I've been lurking around the passed few days trying to find the ins and outs of owning a 08+ 250R. I finally made my decision yesterday and bought a mint black 09. I'll be commuting to work on it 60miles a day so half the time I'll be ridding before sunrise so I'd like a bit more light and I don't mind getting my hands dirty with a custom build.

I've read through to your excellent DIY you posted and thank for taking the time to post it, but I'm confused on how your getting the low and high beam. Is this like the stock lights where the low beam is only one and high is both or are they both on in both modes. I know it will make more sense when I have it in my hands but I always like to know as much beforehand as possible. Thanks
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:21 PM   #83
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Ok cool. Thanks a lot paul
Hey man, I'll get that list up in the next day or so. Very sorry it hasn't happened yet, just keep getting sidetracked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Hello my names Jason and I'm new to your forum. I've been lurking around the passed few days trying to find the ins and outs of owning a 08+ 250R. I finally made my decision yesterday and bought a mint black 09. I'll be commuting to work on it 60miles a day so half the time I'll be ridding before sunrise so I'd like a bit more light and I don't mind getting my hands dirty with a custom build.

I've read through to your excellent DIY you posted and thank for taking the time to post it, but I'm confused on how your getting the low and high beam. Is this like the stock lights where the low beam is only one and high is both or are they both on in both modes. I know it will make more sense when I have it in my hands but I always like to know as much beforehand as possible. Thanks

Hi Jason and welcome!
The stock bikes have one bulb for low beam, one bulb for high.

In the projector-HID retrofit described in this thread, both bulbs are lit for low beam and they stay lit for high beam. What changes to make high-beam is a small metal shutter that drops down, to let more light through the lens at a higher angle. The shutters are part of the projector assembly (one per bulb) and are hooked up to the electrical socket that would power the hi-beam bulb on the stock headlight assembly.
Here's an example pic from another site:

Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:59 AM   #84
Maniac0908
ninjette.org member

Name: Mahesh

Motorcycle(s): 11 ninja 250r

Take your time paul. I probably wont be doing this till i get back from basic training. Ill use that money for this. Lol
Maniac0908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM   #85
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Alright I'm ready to order my HID kit( Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini D2S ) from

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237

But I’m confused on which harness I should be ordering H7 or H4/9003. From what I understand our Bulbs are H7 but use an adapter to fit our H4 wiring harness.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I order the H7 harness form theretrofitsource I will simply have to utilize our stock H7-H4 adapter. But if I order the H4 harness with my kit then I can eliminate the adapter from the equation.

If anyone is interested there is a group buy going on with a Tacoma forum, they have 5 of 25 necessary people to get 25% off any Stage III Kit. It's open to just about anyone as long as they get 25 people and the plus side is the shop is using a coupon code to apply the discount. Unfortunately the people at Theretrofitsorce are in Las Vegas till Monday so I can't ask about the harness but they have a special 10% anything till Monday sale code.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:03 PM   #86
Momaru

Quote:
Alright I'm ready to order my HID kit( Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini D2S ) from

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237

But I’m confused on which harness I should be ordering H7 or H4/9003. From what I understand our Bulbs are H7 but use an adapter to fit our H4 wiring harness.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I order the H7 harness form theretrofitsource I will simply have to utilize our stock H7-H4 adapter. But if I order the H4 harness with my kit then I can eliminate the adapter from the equation.

If anyone is interested there is a group buy going on with a Tacoma forum, they have 5 of 25 necessary people to get 25% off any Stage III Kit. It's open to just about anyone as long as they get 25 people and the plus side is the shop is using a coupon code to apply the discount. Unfortunately the people at Theretrofitsorce are in Las Vegas till Monday so I can't ask about the harness but they have a special 10% anything till Monday sale code.
You are correct about the H7/H4. IF you choose to use their harness, H4 is the way to go to eliminate the adapter.

That said, I ordered one of their harnesses originally and then had to return it (I strongly suggest you read posts #57-59 above). To summarize, their harness, made for cars, is too short for us in at least two different places, so you're gonna have to lengthen the cables. And I found it to be poorly constructed for the price. Also, if you think you *might* need to return it, tell them when you place the order or you won't be able to send it back.

I'd suggest just making your own. I got parts to build for my own for about the same cost as theirs (which I still need to post up, sorry Mahesh).

Old November 13th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #87
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Thanks for the great DIY post, without it I would have never had the guts to try this. For Simplicity sake I bought the entire setup from TheRetrofitSource. I called the them up and Matt helped me get the correct wiring harness for my bike. I read in their forum about painting the cutoff plate to get a ambient color of your chose when the lights are off, I painted my cutoff plate and plunger orange.

IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0010.jpg IMG_0007.jpg

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #88
Dat_Ninja_There
Shinobi Rider

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Passion Red Ninja 250R

Nice job. I like the orange effect when they are off. I'm about to attempt this project soon and might go with a red ambient effect
Dat_Ninja_There is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #89
lpierre
ninjette.org newbie

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r se 2011

Sorry Guys, I'm a bit of newbie.

I want to know what you guys thinks about this:
http://www.uniquemotolights.com/inde...&product_id=55

Thanks!!
lpierre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #90
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpierre View Post
Sorry Guys, I'm a bit of newbie.

I want to know what you guys thinks about this:

Thanks!!
damn that is not a bad price! I wish they had more color options on the angel eyes though!1
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #91
lpierre
ninjette.org newbie

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r se 2011

You'll use the oven....
Is there a complete kit that it's being sold?

Another one

http://f-sane.com/store/index.php?ma...roducts_id=143
lpierre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #92
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

You always use the oven to get the lens off. You have to do the same thing with car lights.

Old January 12th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #93
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpierre View Post
You'll use the oven....
Is there a complete kit that it's being sold?

Another one

http://f-sane.com/store/index.php?ma...roducts_id=143
www.sickhids.com would be cheaper if you are looking to get them installed as well....

edit: actually they look like theyll be around the same price...

Old January 14th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #94
OzNinja250
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 model in Black EX250J

great write up, appreciate your effort immensely. just a question though.
There are some projector that can be installed into the standard bulb hole at the rear of the housing, anyone had any experience with these? I thought these type might save some work as you would not have to fabricate the base and maybe just the outer cover like the carbon fibre look which then covers the original headlight housing and gives the factory look in my opinion. What do people reckon on this ?
http://sportsautotech.com/products/h...non-projector/
OzNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #95
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

^He used projectors (morimoto minis) that work like that but I believe the housings for the ninja are too small thus he still had to do some cutting to make them fit. I have some in my car, I like them a lot but even then they just barely fit in my cars housings.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #96
OzNinja250
ninjette.org member

it seemed to me that the projectors were too long for the ninja headlight but these claim to fit in the housing

quote "This is a direct bolt on kit, no major modifications required!" end quote.
very competitive pricing and they ship to Aus for a reasonable rate, they are on my shortlist. I wonder how we could get all the functions i.e halo, low and high beam,. I think an additional switch to alternate between low beam and halo.
Anyone had experience of this?

Old January 16th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #97
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzNinja250 View Post
it seemed to me that the projectors were too long for the ninja headlight but these claim to fit in the housing

quote "This is a direct bolt on kit, no major modifications required!" end quote.
very competitive pricing and they ship to Aus for a reasonable rate, they are on my shortlist. I wonder how we could get all the functions i.e halo, low and high beam,. I think an additional switch to alternate between low beam and halo.
Anyone had experience of this?
Wish there were projectors that fit directly when I did my projector retrofit, but that's the cost of getting it early.

While I don't have personal experience w/ the halos on my HID setup, I do have electrical knowledge. It depends on how you want the halos set up. An additional switch is the best route, so you can have them on for shows, but turn them off to keep from draining your battery too much.

The halos need not necessarily alternate /w low beam, but it's certainly a good option. One possible is set-up is such that your halos come on when you start the bike (like stock low beam), flip switch for low beams (w/ or w/o halos) and flip another switch for hi beams. It could all be integrated into a single 3-position switch, but IMHO 2 separate switches are better, b/c it's easier to know what you've got 'on' and harder to accidentally put on the wrong setting.

Old January 16th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #98
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Well I'm finally starting my retrofit. Got the housing apart and the base plate made. Mine's gonna look pretty much exactly like Rojo's, I have the same shrouds around the projectors but I just pained mine blue. After taking a look at the harness I got from the retrofitsource, I noticed there's only 1 connector on it for the stock bulbs. Then there's two pairs of connectors that will go into ballasts and then two grounds. I'm assuming that my high beams will not work, since I'll only be able to connect either the low or high connector into this harness? Can anyone think of an easy way to remedy this?
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #99
OzNinja250
ninjette.org member

different bike but maybe same principal.

try this diagram, it might help you?

Old January 17th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #100
Momaru

Not to be overly crass, but if you read through the DIY that the OP made and linked in this very thread, post #27, you'll find another good answer.

It boils down to soldering (or crimping) the wiring from the shutters (both) on the projector into a single H4 male plug, to jack directly into your OEM high-beam wiring in place of the stock bulb. It's an H4 connector on the harness, NOT an H7 as the OP used; if you go that route, you have to use the adapters that sit between the OEM bulbs and the harness.

Old January 17th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #101
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Not to be overly crass, but if you read through the DIY that the OP made and linked in this very thread, post #27, you'll find another good answer.

It boils down to soldering (or crimping) the wiring from the shutters (both) on the projector into a single H4 male plug, to jack directly into your OEM high-beam wiring in place of the stock bulb. It's an H4 connector on the harness, NOT an H7 as the OP used; if you go that route, you have to use the adapters that sit between the OEM bulbs and the harness.
Yeah, I realized what was going on with everything after I posted that. I don't have to replace the plug on my harness though. Mine has the correct plug. I'm just too used to cars I guess, only 1 plug for low and 1 plug for high threw me off at first lol.

Old January 17th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #102
Momaru

Lol, yup, it'll do that. Glad they sent you the right harness. The one I got from them was too short in several sections and had one plug pretty much fall apart as I was pulling it out of the packaging. Wound up just building my own

Old January 18th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #103
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Just an update about the wiring. I looked over the harness I got from theretrofitsource again. I just want to emphasize how easy this makes things. You don't have to cut or solder anything. It's totally plug and play. Still finishing up a few things with my mount plate, since it was some trial and error. I should be able to finish wiring tomorrow and ill post some pics about everything in my thread.

Old January 18th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #104
Momaru

Wow. Guess they took my suggestion when I sent mine back because the fit and construction quality were so bad. Glad to see people making proper-fitting parts

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #105
OzNinja250
ninjette.org member

thats good about the wiring harness, its great when things just work. i am really interested in how this turns out for you, as I am seriously considering this as my first mod or yoshi full exhaust+carb jetting+K&N R-0990. Its a difficult choice. then theres always the hugger as well. decisions, decisions.

Old February 8th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #106
FerociousNINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja TwoFiddy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Ok guys. I'm done with the DIY! Full write up can be found on my web page: http://www.audiotether.com/250RHID/250RHIDretrofit.htm

It's a long read, but I wanted to put as much detail in there as I could to help you guys.
Nice, how about a PDF version to download?
FerociousNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #107
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Tri, i think im going to need your help, 3si discount maybe . If i dont end up with another bike this year im going to add doing this to my list.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #108
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Tri, i think im going to need your help, 3si discount maybe . If i dont end up with another bike this year im going to add doing this to my list.
AHH another 3S owner? or former owner? haha

Old February 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #109
Bigballsofpaint

Former, maybe even future if my dream car doesnt pan out

Old February 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #110
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

bleh. Im not goint back to that platform again. lol

Old February 13th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #111
Bigballsofpaint

i loved my old 3k, u crazy.

Old February 13th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #112
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

not crazy...

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #113
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Haha. Well, I can help with technical stuff but I don't make these lights

Old February 17th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #114
Bigballsofpaint

i take it i would need to order 2 of the stage 3 retrofit kits since we have 2 bulbs currently, which is why im seeing people say it cost about 350 to 400 bucks??

Old February 19th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #115
Momaru

Nope, the Stage III kit includes 2 projectors, ballasts and bulbs, which will cover you for that portion of the hardware. Part of the additional cost is the replacement headlight housing, which many of us use to build it while leaving the true original intact. Te rest is the harness, which Tri & I had to make from scratch, but it seems TRS has fixed their design since (posts above).

Also worth reporting I've been informed/seen a little info that there's projectors that are more of a direct drop-in now, instead of having to make your own mounting plate de novo. Sadly, I don't have any useful info on them though.

Old February 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #116
Bigballsofpaint

ill give it another month to see if anyone comes up with an easier kit, i hate being lazy. i wouldnt buy an extra housing, this bike isnt a dd by any means and wouldnt take more than a day or so if i had all the parts im guessing.

Old February 19th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #117
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

It's not gonna get much easier unless you have someone do it for you. If you get the mini d2s kit from theretrofit source, between Tri's DIY and my thread, you'll be able to knock it out easy.

Old March 27th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #118
DJK
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R

Quote:
Thanks for the great DIY post, without it I would have never had the guts to try this. For Simplicity sake I bought the entire setup from TheRetrofitSource. I called the them up and Matt helped me get the correct wiring harness for my bike. I read in their forum about painting the cutoff plate to get a ambient color of your chose when the lights are off, I painted my cutoff plate and plunger orange.

Attachment 15945 Attachment 15946 Attachment 15947
what shrounds did you use here? they don't look like D8
DJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #119
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK View Post
what shrounds did you use here? they don't look like D8
Those are the same shrouds I have. The GTi-R ones from theretrofitsource. You get your pic of a bunch of them when you buy the kit. The GTi-R ones just happen to fit perfect for us.

Old June 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #120
Kristofferzero
ninjette.org member

Name: Kristoffer

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (sold)

These make me think of a kid with thick eyeglasses that's magnifying their eyes 3x the normal size.
Kristofferzero is offline   Reply With Quote