ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 5th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Rode my ninja for the first time today...

...In what must have been a month or so.

It surprised me how enjoyable it was. The bike has been parked for a few months now -- I take it out for a spin once a month just to keep it alive and running.

Unfortunately my baby has been sitting with 27k miles on her, 15k miles overdue for a valve lash adjustment. She sounds like a typewriter with all the valve clatter. It's hard to get her running, but I'm keeping her on life support (battery tender) and a monthly 1 mile ride just too keep all the vital fluids circulating.

In kawasaki we trust .

I'm torn between two options -- as the bike is need of an overhaul. I can do simple maintenance and get her back on the road for cheap (chain tension, valve adjustment, oil change, coolant flush, etc..) -- but I love her so much I want to give her what she really wants.

My reasoning is simple -- if I'm going to go as deep as removing the head on an engine with 27k miles, I feel it my civic duty as a mechanic to freshen up the motor with new internal 'wear' parts.

For a small fortune, I could drop in a stroker crank, over-bore piston, hotter cams, replace the bearings, different rods, lighten the rotating assembly, more aggressive ignition timing, and at the end of a days work -- have a fresh ninja 318cc with zero miles on the odometer and a hell of a lot more power and throttle response.

I'm torn -- spend the money and give the bike what it really wants, or be a cheap motherfcuker and just spend a day doing routine maintenance to get it back in service while I piss away it's potential and turn down an opportunity to build something beautiful.

What would you do? Someone please paint some light on this canvas .

If I spend the time/money to do this right, I'll document everything for the good of motorcycle-riding-humanity in sharing my knowledge and we all win.

Old March 5th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
everytime i ride i have the option between 100, 70, or 30 hp. almost everytime i go with 30 hp.

Old March 6th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #3
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I dont think the "welp, while im in here, might as well" attitude works here. Youre only taking off the tank and valve cover. Its not a journey to the center if the earth.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
But ive also never done my valves, so take my advice lighter than you would another member's.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #5
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
I'm torn -- spend the money and give the bike what it really wants, or be a cheap motherfcuker and just spend a day doing routine maintenance to get it back in service while I piss away it's potential and turn down an opportunity to build something beautiful.
You've already decided.

Old March 6th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #6
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Ya your not ripping the heads off to do a valve check, just the valve cover. Bike down for 1 or 2 days vs an unknown amount of time...You can easily do all that stuf in 15 or 20k more miles when your actually getting closer to the engine lifespan. 20k is still pretty fresh
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2015, 09:00 AM   #7
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

For me it would be a no-brainer; do the valve adjustment and other needed maintenance. I have 45K miles on my '99 motor asnd its still running strong and producing good numbers. 27k is not worn out by any means unless it has been abused. Good luck with whatever you decide. Aloha!

Old March 6th, 2015, 11:01 PM   #8
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
everytime i ride i have the option between 100, 70, or 30 hp. almost everytime i go with 30 hp.
In that vein... everytime I decide to burn fuel to move my ass around -- I must make a similar choice.

7hp, 30hp, 275hp/525tq, 292hp/196tq.

Root of the problem being -- there is never enough power. I'm trying to figure out which tiny machine to make quicker..

Quote:
20k is still pretty fresh
Truest words in this thread. Thanks.

Quote:
You've already decided.
I just really hate being a cheap motherfcuker, but there are only so many resources to spread around.

I guess the ninja gets the shaft on this one.

Newest edition to the speed demon garage, here we go.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82...ew?usp=sharing

sorry for the sketchy cellphone pic; if you squint and stand back from the computer -- perhaps you will see the same untapped potential that I do.

176cc and 98mph on a 3'9'' wheelbase vehicle with 10'' tires... here we come.

Guardian angels, please fly that fast