ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old October 26th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #1
shellneil
ninjette.org member

Name: shellneil

Motorcycle(s): 1999 kawasaki ninja zx6r

Angry stripped oil plug head for my atv

it has ben one hell of a weekend trying to get the oil plug off my 2007 yamaha big bear 400...who ever had it before tightened this thing like it never needed to be changed..it is now stripped to hell....its in such a tight spot that vice grips dont fit and its not just a screw it a whole metel pice so i cant wedge a screwdriver between......i was thinking of maybe filing it dwn to next mm size.....or using a extractor but dont want to do that because then i would have to order a whole new plug....any ideas please...i have limited selection of tools...i'm a chic and dont really have a full garage of tools but i do know what i'm doing mechanical wise...i fix my ninja all the time as well as my other 4 wheelers....any help would be appreciated
shellneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #2
kkim

picture, please.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #3
shellneil
ninjette.org member

will get pics asap...it is hard to explain!!i know its a pain in the a$$

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #4
kkim

pictures will give us a better idea of exactly what the problem is and to offer an applicable solution.

Old October 27th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #5
shellneil
ninjette.org member

here the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shell 043.jpg (53.1 KB, 10 views)

Old October 27th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #6
kkim

you're right, that's really buggered up.

any chance of fitting a pipe wrench in there? how much access room do you have? I wouldn't worry about destroying the plug in the process. You'll need to buy a new drain plug anyway.

How about hammering on the next smaller sized socket onto the plug and removing it using a ratchet?

Old October 28th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #7
shellneil
ninjette.org member

tried hammering on next small socket still didnt work...the top of bolt head is so short like shorter than lenth of my pinkie nail, mind you that i chew my nails.....i cant fit any thing on it cause its wedge d between to rails.......no vice grips,pipe wrenchs......it got me so aggravated....a simple tune up had turned into a biiiiigggg headache...when i go parts store the guys look at me like i'm a complete dumbass because i'm a chic.......i will get that damn thing off thats my mission for the week!!

Old October 28th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #8
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Just what the Dr Ordered!

Check this out:

http://www.bt-andf.com/index.php

Should help you!

How can Grip-TiteTM Super Sockets remove severely rounded bolts and nuts when conventional sockets can not?

Conventional socket openings have a tolerance for manufacturing, as do nuts and bolts on the size of their hex heads. Because of these tolerances, conventional sockets fit rather loosely on bolt and nut heads. This forces all of the contact to the corners of the bolt or nut. Grip-TiteTM Super Sockets have moved this tolerance within the Grip-TiteTM Super Socket itself - where we have total control. The 6 cams fit snugly onto the flats of the bolt or nut head, placing the tolerance between the cams and the socket itself. When the socket rotates, the corresponding cammed surface of the socket, drives each cam inward, clamping harder and harder on the flats of the fastener. Where conventional sockets would spin on a rounded bolt or nut, Grip-TiteTM Super Sockets clamp firmly onto the flats. The harder you turn, the more the cams grab the flats of the fastener.

A 7 pc set of metric sizes from Amazon - $24

http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Tite-0010...6726382&sr=8-3
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #9
kkim

that looks like it's worth a try.