Notices

Old April 16th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #1
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Power Distribution for Peripherals & Pdm 60

In the not so distance future, I am planning to install a Pdm 60 along side a couple of Powerlet in order to drive my peripherals (camera, phone, possible heated gear, possible GPS, battery tender, etc). I'm a technology freak, so I'm curious to know, if anyone has had experience with these power distribution boxes? Are they easy to install for someone who doesn't have a lot of technical/mechanical skill? I know @Alex seems to be the only one with the Pdm 60 on this board, according to my search, but perhaps there are others?

My goal is to power everything without worrying about batteries dying, carrying extra batteries, or draining my battery. I want to be able to get up and go, have the camera rolling when I start up the bike, have my phone powered, etc. What specific mounts do you use (RAM, Techmounts), etc. Where do you place these mounts? How do you have your peripherals set up? What set-up works for you and why? I want to know where is the best place to mount these things and if I need to watch out for anything? What should I avoid? Is there anything I haven't covered that I missed or should look out for? Thanks.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old April 16th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #2
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

I've been trying to come up with a similar setup, but have been exploring the solar option. That said I haven't gotten far in researching the available options. Thanks for bringing this up though. I'll keep an eye on the thread, and let you know if I figure anything out, too.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #3
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Thanks Newb. I guess I'll pick the brains of my local shop.

Old April 16th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
You might also look into a MOSFET R/R swap. They're more efficient, so they tend to put out more power closer to idle and have higher overall output, plus they generally don't fail as catastrophically as the old SCR-based units. Google for "Shindengen FH020" to find all sorts of info on it. I'm not sure how much extra headroom the 250 has for power, but this would give you more if you plan to power a bunch of accessories (assuming the stator is capable of generating the necessary AC).
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
My heated gear is straight off the battery, so if it goes, the rest of my electrical system won't be SOL thanks to a separate inline fuse.

For everything else I have a FuzeBlock on mine after giving up on my own home made version. It is larger than I expected but still small enough to fit behind the battery along side the existing fuse box. Hook up is easy, pos inline fuse wire to the battery, a switched wire coming from somewhere (my tail light), and the neg wire going back to the battery. Then whatever pos/neg wires your acccessories have into the correct slots on the FuzeBlock.

With it I power the LEDs on my wheels, the four USB ports, and the one 12v power plug. Of those, only one of the USB ports is set to constant power, all the rest are on the switched side. Every ride, two of the USBs are used, while the other two and the 12V remain for when not moving.

I have the constant USB powering a cable run from under the windshield, along the front stay, and up to the left handlebar where a RAM ball is screwed into the mirror mount by the left control switches. A 1" bar holds the Aqua Box giving my phone a home. Having the phone up on the handlebar let's me operate it easier while in the parking lot, though the plastic of the case along with the thick InvisiShield makes it difficult for me.

The second under windshield USB powers my GPS mounted into the RAM cradle. I couldn't find any bar/ball combos that i was happy with so I just screwed the cradle directly to the open space on the left side of my Koso and the flush mount has worked perfectly.

The two remaining USBs and 12V are drilled into the cowling on the right side far enough forward to not be hit by the handlebar during slow speed turns.

I am planning on getting a phone cradle that minics RAMs diamond shaped mount to flush mount it across from the GPS so everything is on the dash.

Another member on here has found an angled bracket that either had or they drilled a hole to fit the RAM ball and then mounted it to the mirror bolt on the underside of the windshield. Their device then sits across the top of the gauge cluster.

Anyway, here's my set up:

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #6
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Thanks Teri & Bill. I was curious what the local shop would charge, they quoted me (and this is a very rough estimate) $180 to install, given about 2 hours of labor. I know that's ridiculous and I have other options besides them, that I can check into. I've heard of FuzeBlocks, but upon comparing their FAQ with PMD 60 FAQ, it seems like PMD 60 has more positives in comparison?

Have you had any trouble with FuzeBlocks at all? Also, thanks for the pics, it gives me an idea of the "what and where" I may put my peripherals.

Old April 17th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #7
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I haven't had trouble with my FuzeBlock. As I mentioned, it's larger than expected and the only "difficulty" comes from the stiffness of the pos and neg wires coming off the sides. Beyond that, because I already had my power plugs installed, I just had to put the wires into the box.

If you hunt up some of @rojoracing53's pics, he's got another option for mounting plugs and controls on the dash. Nice thing about the Koso is it gives you extra space to work with.

Old April 17th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I like the PDM because it's self healing on the road if you do have an issue, and don't need any fuses. It also has a higher power capacity than most fuse boxes. But, it is pricier. I also know that any money spent on the FuzeBlock is going to Cindy Gran, which is a good cause for that reason alone (google "Curt Gran" for the backstory).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #9
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Indeed, that's the biggest feature I am liking about it, as well as it being waterproof. I don't have too much mechanical skill, so that just eases my mind.

Old June 28th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

What if I want to do my own relays and fuses and stuff but just need a block of terminals to tidy it all up while covering all my positive posts to prevent shorts? Any recommendations for that?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #11
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
What if I want to do my own relays and fuses and stuff but just need a block of terminals to tidy it all up while covering all my positive posts to prevent shorts? Any recommendations for that?
Pdm 60.

Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:18 AM   #12
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Update: I now have a PDM 60, but I haven't installed it yet. I'm looking to get the following items:

1. Powerlet Type-1 Rearset Kit - 24'': I figured this would be the best location for heated gear/battery tender, etc?

2. Panel Tapp x2: This will power GPS, phone, camera, etc.

I like a very tailored, clean and flush look, which is why I like the panel mounts. I took a look at Burns Moto, but it doesn't seem like they have any panel (flush) options. I do like and prefer a dual usb though, but I can't seem to find any that are flush. @NevadaWolf - In your picture, there is a dual usb panel mount, where did you get that, what brand is that?

Does anyone see anything wrong with this set-up, or have any further suggestions, that I may have overlooked? I don't want to run into issues with clearance and handlebars/wires, or heated gear/wires and clearance, etc.

Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:36 AM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Couple options for a dual-usb panel-mount:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-Cha...-/351140269174
http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/10030
http://www.powerwerx.com/adapter-cab...e-charger.html
http://www.powerwerx.com/oem-connect...e-charger.html

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:49 AM   #14
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Mine specifically is from Blue Sea, picked up through Amazon

https://www.bluesea.com/products/101...Charger_Socket

I just removed the top square part and used the nut to tighten it against the cowling.

Old November 22nd, 2014, 01:53 PM   #15
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I think I need one of these. I don't even have that many electrical accessories and the wiring is already annoying me.

Old November 22nd, 2014, 03:00 PM   #16
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Get one! It's probably the first thing I should have bought with my motorcycle. I want the peace of mind of being wired in case there are emergency situations. It's also nice to roam around, explore and get lost, knowing you have gps, just in case.

Old November 23rd, 2014, 09:21 AM   #17
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Thats what i did, cheapest route, not the cleanest but its under the seat so no big deal. installed a relay so its only on when the key is on, powers a few odds and ends and i have extra spots if i need (maybe some aux lighting)
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote