ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old December 30th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #1
burnrich
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): gpx 250

Suggestions for an onboard GPS tracking system.

Hi All,

I'm currently chewing over installing a concealed GPS tracker however I've noticed when doing the research that almost all tracking systems in the US of A use some kind of subscription based service costing ludicrous amounts of money a month for the privy and in Australia I'm not even sure if any mobile companies offer the service??

I've mused over solar powered trackers and battery op ones which last about two weeks between recharges apparently v's powered versions and can't find anything that looks suitable (I'm very fussy).

Apparently the pros use code jamming devices nowadays also to render the GPS tracker useless when they are 'borrowing' your bike so I'm unsure of the tech specs I should be looking for.

Does anybody else in the community have any experience with GPS trackers and is it even worth the hassle?

If anybody is wondering what I'm talking about you can find the tech specs for the product here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-GPS-...8504969&_uhb=1

Cheers,

Pete.

Last futzed with by burnrich; December 31st, 2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Adding More Information
burnrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Have had a ton of different GPS-based devices on bikes, but not a GPS-tracker like this.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

There was actually an interesting reddit thread about motorcycle theft. They talked about gps trackers. Apparently experienced thieves know where to look for them and can disable them quickly. Even if they don't have the jammer you're talking about. I'm all for layers of security anyway though. Not every thief is smart, or experienced haha. Best thing you can do is install something that notifies you the second its being touched, and to not ignore it, even if you have a had a few false alarms. I've also found, the best security is for people to not even know your bike exists (out of view and such).
Sykes92 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 31st, 2013, 09:10 PM   #4
burnrich
ninjette.org member

All good points. I agree with out of sight out of mind and always keeping the garage door closed.

They need something like this for motorcycles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w39o6eSI06Y

Old December 31st, 2013, 09:13 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
seems like a lot of work

Old December 31st, 2013, 09:17 PM   #6
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Someone somewhere managed to rig up their cell phone so when the custom made app was activated it would send an alert out if the accelerometer detected movement and activated the gps on the phone to broadcast its position.

Unfortunately, that is as close as I know about trackers outside of the subscription services (I use spot).
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2013, 10:39 PM   #7
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

This might help: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...urity_systems/

Look at this one : Guidepoint Systems (Expensive to get into, but no monthly)
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2014, 12:20 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe start posting extremist crap, then the cia will setup your gps tracker for you!

Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:12 AM   #9
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

You could always buy a used android phone with a cheap pay as you go plan or just use your old one. Hide it somewhere that won't be scene and wire it into the bike. There are tons of phone tracker gps apps out there that will get the job done.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:23 AM   #10
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

All the GPS tracker needs is power and a place with relativly low amounts of noise to broadcast its signal. To state that thiefs know where you place the tracker is a little absured. Technically all they have to do is disconnect your battery, meaning a battery back-up would be needed for the tracker.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:44 AM   #11
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
All the GPS tracker needs is power and a place with relativly low amounts of noise to broadcast its signal. To state that thiefs know where you place the tracker is a little absured. Technically all they have to do is disconnect your battery, meaning a battery back-up would be needed for the tracker.
Hence why a phone is a better idea.

Old January 2nd, 2014, 12:02 PM   #12
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentbad View Post
Hence why a phone is a better idea.
Overkill to me, but thats me. Phones can be cheap but I would rather build the hardware and software myself if doing that. All needed is a micoprocessor, wifi device and a gps module along with a small battery and if wanted an accelerometer. Look on instructables I am sure there are some projects already built with exact parts for low price.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #13
burnrich
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
Overkill to me, but thats me. Phones can be cheap but I would rather build the hardware and software myself if doing that. All needed is a micoprocessor, wifi device and a gps module along with a small battery and if wanted an accelerometer. Look on instructables I am sure there are some projects already built with exact parts for low price.
Got a bit of work cut out engineering a custom dash to fit Koso gagues in the coming months as it's been almost impossible to find anybody that's done them. Probably won't get around to a custom GPS device at this stage but it's an interesting project to do just for the hell of it.

Old January 4th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #14
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

The e911 location tracking on all phones after 2008 would make pretty much any phone a half decent tracking device if it gets stolen. That coupled with a good gps tracking software should be a good alternative something like lojack.

http://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/...carmotorcycle/

Some other cool options:
http://www.gizmag.com/spybike-gps-tracker/22999/

Old January 4th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #15
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

Old January 5th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #16
burnrich
ninjette.org member

Great solution. I'm going to buy a cheap huawei device like the y300 or something and install the greenalp app and just hard wire the mobile to the device and use a 365 day sim card with mobile data included and presto, instant GPS tracker that can be remotely switched on.

http://www.greenalp.com/

Old February 3rd, 2020, 06:45 PM   #17
ellellie
ninjette.org newbie

Name: paisley

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrich View Post
Hi All,

I'm currently chewing over installing a concealed small GPS tracker however I've noticed when doing the research that almost all tracking systems in the US of A use some kind of subscription based service costing ludicrous amounts of money a month for the privy and in Australia I'm not even sure if any mobile companies offer the service??

I've mused over solar powered trackers and battery op ones which last about two weeks between recharges apparently v's powered versions and can't find anything that looks suitable (I'm very fussy).

Apparently the pros use code jamming devices nowadays also to render the GPS tracker useless when they are 'borrowing' your bike so I'm unsure of the tech specs I should be looking for.

Does anybody else in the community have any experience with GPS trackers and is it even worth the hassle?

If anybody is wondering what I'm talking about you can find the tech specs for the product here:

Cheers,

Pete.
I am curious about solar powered trackers. For now, car and battery-powered trackers are the most common, and new energy sources are more environmentally friendly. I would consider them if they were not particularly expensive and easy to use. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
ellellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2020, 06:52 PM   #18
ellellie
ninjette.org newbie

Name: paisley

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrich View Post
Hi All,

I'm currently chewing over installing a concealed small GPS tracker however I've noticed when doing the research that almost all tracking systems in the US of A use some kind of subscription based service costing ludicrous amounts of money a month for the privy and in Australia I'm not even sure if any mobile companies offer the service??

Cheers,

Pete.
I am curious about solar powered trackers. For now, car and battery-powered trackers are the most common, and new energy sources are more environmentally friendly. I would consider them if they were not particularly expensive and easy to use. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
ellellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2020, 01:03 AM   #19
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Solar power is for charging batteries that device runs off. If you want standalone GPS unit that's not connected to bike's battery, it too would need its own battery for nighttime operation, which is redundant and incurs environmental resources to build and disposed of yet another battery. Better off just to have one main battery, existing bike's battery. Then attach GPS unit to that as well as solar-panel for charging bike's battery.

There are 3 main components to GPS tracker: GPS-receiver, cellular-transmitter, central-server. The central-server is what you'd access from your phone/PC to find position of tracker. This requires service-fee to use their server.

Here's a unit with good reviews on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZIES4M
And solar battery-charger: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TIPKUE

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; February 6th, 2020 at 08:00 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote