ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Making a ninjette built for track and street?

I am very seriously considering getting on to the track as soon as I possibly can and when/if I do it would be with a ninjette. I have a very vague sense of what mods are needed but I was wondering what would be the minimum modifications needed to switch between street legal and track ready? Being the lazy **** that I am I would want minimum time and modifications needed to switch between the two.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Are you referring to trackdays or full blown track racing?

Old July 12th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I'm not sure what the difference is but my intent would be to go 1 or 2 times per month to have fun and learn more technical skills and be able to easily switch back to street legal to hit the twisties.
AFM #676

Old July 12th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Sounds just like track days to me. If you don't already know, any bike can be taken out to the track as long as it passes tech inspection.
  • lights taped over
  • chain lubed and adjusted
  • good tires that have good amount of tread left and not dry rotting
  • no leaks of any kind
  • Brakes functional
  • throttle snaps back and doesn't stick
  • mirrors removed or taped up

That's all that there is to it.

Now for full blown track racing, you'll have to get your racing license through a school.

bike requirements are typically the following (check with your local racing org):
  1. Safety wiring a whole slew of things
  2. belly pan
  3. water based coolant (no ethylene glycol coolant)
  4. any type of mods must be compliant with racing org
  5. and same stuff about passing tech inspection as mentioned above

Groups of riders are broken down into 3 categories typically during a track day event:
Novice - no track experience or short riding experience
Intermediate - a good amount of riding experience and track experience
Advance - You got to have a fast (big bike) and lap times have to be under so much for certain tracks. Closing speeds insane.

Dependent on track day orgs, each category of riders has classrooms to go over riding techniques, fundamentals of operating your bike and as well as safety.

With dedicated track bikes, people tend to go with track fairings since it gets rid of all the lights, has an incorporated belly pan to catch fluids, and is cheaper and is easier to repair than replacing plastics. Mods get crazy to help get faster times so long as they comply with the racing orgs.

Old July 12th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #5
ninja_thresh_hold
ninjette.org *********

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (忍者 250r; sold!) 2001 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Sounds just like track days to me. If you don't already know, any bike can be taken out to the track as long as it passes tech inspection.
  • lights taped over
  • chain lubed and adjusted
  • good tires that have good amount of tread left and not dry rotting
  • no leaks of any kind
  • Brakes functional
  • throttle snaps back and doesn't stick
  • mirrors removed or taped up

That's all that there is to it.

Now for full blown track racing, you'll have to get your racing license through a school.

bike requirements are typically the following (check with your local racing org):
  1. Safety wiring a whole slew of things
  2. belly pan
  3. water based coolant (no ethylene glycol coolant)
  4. any type of mods must be compliant with racing org
  5. and same stuff about passing tech inspection as mentioned above

Groups of riders are broken down into 3 categories typically during a track day event:
Novice - no track experience or short riding experience
Intermediate - a good amount of riding experience and track experience
Advance - You got to have a fast (big bike) and lap times have to be under so much for certain tracks. Closing speeds insane.

Dependent on track day orgs, each category of riders has classrooms to go over riding techniques, fundamentals of operating your bike and as well as safety.

With dedicated track bikes, people tend to go with track fairings since it gets rid of all the lights, has an incorporated belly pan to catch fluids, and is cheaper and is easier to repair than replacing plastics. Mods get crazy to help get faster times so long as they comply with the racing orgs.
why cant you have lights or mirrors?

Old July 12th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #6
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_thresh_hold View Post
why cant you have lights or mirrors?
In the event of a crash or fall, it reduces the chance of sharp objects left on the track that could cause an accident.

Old July 12th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #7
ninja_thresh_hold
ninjette.org *********

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (忍者 250r; sold!) 2001 zx6r

Quote:
In the event of a crash or fall, it reduces the chance of sharp objects left on the track that could cause an accident.
ooh thats dumb lol id get away with it here i bet though

Old July 12th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Thanks Cuong, so essentially, all I need is some tape, sweet.
AFM #676

Old July 13th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_thresh_hold View Post
ooh thats dumb lol id get away with it here i bet though
they do it so when people crash, it takes less time to clean up (takes too long to sweep up someones busted mirror or headlight. if its taped, even if it breaks its not going to shatter all over the ground. it stays in hunks that can be kicked off to the side quickly so people can get back to what they paid for.

@Sean Hannity 2.0 - blue painters tape is all you'll need. tape the headlight, turn signals front and back, brake light and all the little reflectors and call it a day. depending on the area it costs about 150 - 250 for a track day. fancier tracks are more expensive. you'll need full leathers whether its 1 or 2 piece, real boots and gloves and helmet. backprotector. a way to haul the bike there (dont ride there) you'll want snacks and drinks and shade and somewhere to sit between sessions. knowing you you'll probably want to bring a few playgirl magazines to masturbate to while you wait.

Old July 13th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Hey, I don't through a football every time I finish a thought
AFM #676

Old July 13th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Lights are also taped over/fused pulled to eliminate target fixation of other riders.

Do it jiggles! There is no substitute for the skills you will learn there. I am lazy with my ninja as well. It gets the bare minimums to be allowed on the track.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #12
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Lights are also taped over/fused pulled to eliminate target fixation of other riders.

Do it jiggles! There is no substitute for the skills you will learn there. I am lazy with my ninja as well. It gets the bare minimums to be allowed on the track.
I usually pull the fuses since I don't want the tape melting to the lens. Crack...err I mean track is addicting. All you need is one hit of the track pipe and you'll want more.

Also, some track day orgs ask for volunteers to corner work and in turn give you a track day credit. You basically watch a corner on a track and raise colored flags and radio the track Marshall of anything bad happening.

Old July 13th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #13
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Also for full blown 250 race bike, you should grind off the kick stand mount. It sucks not to have a kick stand for the street but there's ways around it.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104062
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #14
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:

Also, some track day orgs ask for volunteers to corner work and in turn give you a track day credit. You basically watch a corner on a track and raise colored flags and radio the track Marshall of anything bad happening.
that sounds like a great deal! @csmith12, you thinking what I'm thinking?????????
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
that sounds like a great deal! @csmith12, you thinking what I'm thinking?????????
word!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #16
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

You guys are leaving out the most important part... You need good income so you can get your fix for your cravings after your first track day!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Just review the bike requirements of any trackday provider you are considering. Some of the ones here in northern california are no longer requiring headlights to be taped up (or disabled). Brakelights usually still have to be disabled or covered. I run distilled water + waterwetter year round, so converting the 10R from street to track consists of removing the mirrors and pulling a fuse to disable the brakelight.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #18
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
Also for full blown 250 race bike, you should grind off the kick stand mount. It sucks not to have a kick stand for the street but there's ways around it.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104062
Oh yeah that's super important!!! My kickstand is ground down from abuse on the track and same thing with my stock pegs. If you have your factory exhaust too it'll scrape.