ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 10th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #1
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

When to clean carbs and Adjust Valves

I have a 2010 Ninja 250r Its at 10k miles already and previous owner told me that he hasnt gotten valves adjusted yet or even carbs cleaned because the carbs didnt show any signs of needed cleaning. So my question is, how do i know when i need a valve adjustment and to clean the carbs? When is the mileage that i should b cleaning them at? Thanks!
RandomPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Valve adjustments at every 7500 miles. As long as the bike has been running, you shouldn't be needing to clean the carbs. If the carbs sit long for a month or so WITH fuel in it then maybe. Anything longer than yes. Really, if the bike runs fine, doesn't have issues with hard starts, sputtering, than the carbs are most likely fine.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #3
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Valve adjustments at every 7500 miles. As long as the bike has been running, you shouldn't be needing to clean the carbs. If the carbs sit long for a month or so WITH fuel in it then maybe. Anything longer than yes.
Dang im way overdue for a valve adjustment mate! Well thanks for that i'll get right to it then and get that done. Also do u know when to replace spark plugs as well? i havent pulled mine out yet or even looked at them

Old May 10th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPhantom View Post
Dang im way overdue for a valve adjustment mate! Well thanks for that i'll get right to it then and get that done. Also do u know when to replace spark plugs as well? i havent pulled mine out yet or even looked at them
At the top page, you'll see the stickies. Download the maintenance schedule for your reference

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10577

I usually inspect my plugs at every valve adjustment. If they're still good I pop them back in. The spark plugs will tell you a lot about how your engine is running.

Old May 10th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

quite a hefty list there mate! Looks like im going to b busy this weekend haha and thank you for this! But what does the (x) represent in the boxes with it marked? I dont need to check during those mileages?

Old May 10th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #6
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

The X's are merely tick marks, meaning you do check those at those mileages.
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
my routine:

oil change every 3.5k miles.
valves, oil filter, cooling system every 7k.
usually the chain and sprockets last around 10k.
inspect all bearings and mating surfaces every 15k.

Old May 10th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPhantom View Post
Neglected valves can get burnt (expensive repair) because the clearance gets reduced with wear: please make that priority #1.
Include service of cam chain tensioner.

Plugs are cheap, just replace them.
Be very gentle about torquing them down, the holes in the heads strip easily (expensive repair).

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Changin...rands_to_avoid
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Be very gentle about torquing them down, the holes in the heads strip easily
just some extra info on this. over torquing the plugs might not strip threads immediately. but an overtorqued plug will stuck itself in the plug hole to the point its welded in. after that, trying to remove the plug will simply shatter the porcelain and you're stuck with the bottom half of a plug in your head. which means you get to remove the head from the engine (not just valve cover- the entire head), drill the remainder of the plug out, tap to a bigger size, put in a helicoil and a new plug.

Old May 10th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16

+

New plugs have a crushable gasket (metal ring) that gives some, avoiding excessive torque.

The gasket of the old ones has been crushed all the way down and the transition between not enough and too much is a more drastic step, being another reason to replace the whole plug by new.

Not to be scared, just careful
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #11
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

thanks alot for the help and advice guys! i'll definitely take out the bike to a shop to get the valves adjusted and possibly get it shimmed if its needed as well