Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 17th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #1
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Got handlebar vibrations?

Try the vibranator!

The bar-end weight plus vibranator version looks particularly interesting for Woodcraft clip-on users.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #2
kkim

can someone please explain to me why bar ends are so frickin' expensive??? doesn't look like much to make a set of those.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #3
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

$110
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #4
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Insane.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
can someone please explain to me why bar ends are so frickin' expensive??? doesn't look like much to make a set of those.
percision

Old August 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #6
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Ok guys, take a couple of deep breaths and keep in mind there is a lot more going on inside these things than just a couple of bits of machined bits of metal. These are primarily a device to counteract vibration, not just dead weight bolted inside of or on the ends of your handlebars.

Kelly, can you lathe up a few sets of these cheaper and as well-made? If so I'll pre-order some from you instead of these guys.

Last futzed with by sofo; August 18th, 2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typos

Old August 18th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #7
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

As someone who owns a metal lathe, and a milling machine....

There is no reason they are expensive other than greed. Those things are so easy to make its not even funny. Its a round piece of bar stock, a screw, washers, and a rubber cork. The lathe time is a matter of minutes on a manual lathe.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #8
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofo View Post
Ok guys, take a couple of deep breaths and keep in mind there is a lot more going on inside these things than just a couple of bits of machined bits of metal. These are primarily a device to counteract vibration, not just dead weight bolted inside of or on the ends of your handlebars.
Technically speaking, it is dead weight. That's how they counter-act vibration...with their dead-weighted-ness.

That said some of the are very very pretty, but ludicriously expensive. Sure there may be some finer details in how they fasten themselves to the clip-ons, etc....but greed or low production numbers is usually what I attribute to some of the costs being so high.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #9
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Why do folks pay large amounts of money to buy what is essentially $2 worth of paint applied to a $4 canvas stretched over $1 worth of wood?
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Why do folks pay large amounts of money to buy what is essentially $2 worth of paint applied to a $4 canvas stretched over $1 worth of wood?
um... to stick on the end of their handlebars?

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #11
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Did any of you actually read the details of what this does before jumping on the bash the expensive bar-end bandwagon?

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #12
kkim

well, I did, but I don't suffer an unmanageable amount of vibration with the set of stock bar weights I fitted to the WC clipons I have.

My original comment was not only directed at your posted weights, but to all weights that I found when I was researching bar weights before I figured out how to fit the stock weights back onto the bike.... for virtually free.

if these float your boat, buy them and let us know how they work.

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #13
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
well, I did, but I don't suffer an unmanageable amount of vibration with the set of stock bar weights I fitted to the WC clipons I have.

My original comment was not only directed at your posted weights, but to all weights that I found when I was researching bar weights before I figured out how to fit the stock weights back onto the bike.... for virtually free.

if these float your boat, buy them and let us know how they work.
Fair enough but I think to lump these in with expensive bling weights like Rizoma and Yoshimura is a little inaccurate.

Lesson learned about sharing with the community on my part though.

Old August 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #14
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofo View Post
Fair enough but I think to lump these in with expensive bling weights like Rizoma and Yoshimura is a little inaccurate.

Lesson learned about sharing with the community on my part though.
To be perfectly fair, I didn't click on the link initially.

Although, looking at it, and using my wonderful e-detective skills and whatever engineering related knowledge I've retained from university, I can probably say that these will work on the exact same principles as the blinged out Rizoma stuff, in that it is just an extra piece of weight attached to the bar to change it's resonant frequency. Will it be more effective? Well that's hard to determine because the vibration on any particular motorcycle will tend to be somewhat unique to that motorcycle....of course depending on the source of the vibration (whether ingrained in the actual design of the bike as a by-product of something, or as a result of the wear of a component, or the street/context of the environment the bike is being ridden in). Vibration is weird like that, and is very difficult to counter-engineer, even when you have the full might of an OEM R&D department behind you.

With that said, the reason I'd buy these over a set of Rizoma's is because they've actually put some thought behind the design, and not just fancied up a piece of scrap metal with anodization and fancy print. The though alone is worth the extra money...but in the end...as long as it works who the hell cares really.

And don't let some negative comments deter you from making posts like this. This is yet another option available to this community that we are now aware of thanks to your efforts.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

They got a decent writeup and recommendation in Motorcycle Consumer News this month, (the vibranator), based on feedback from someone who tried them on a VFR if I remember correctly.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #16
Ninja North
ninjette.org member

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (FI)

I haven't tried this myself, but I heard that bar-ends for er-6n/er-6f are heavier than ours, and they do fit. I'd imagine they are cheaper.
Ninja North is offline   Reply With Quote