ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #81
kkim

do one side at a time, so the other side is still helping to support the bike.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #82
EddieNewYork
"Hey, That's My Bike"

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 88 Honda ZB50, 01 Honda Monkey, 07 CRF50, Honda CBR 600RR Phoenix Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
do one side at a time, so the other side is still helping to support the bike.
Good tip, thx.
EddieNewYork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM   #83
lxsedan
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Johnny

Motorcycle(s): 600RR, 250R

Hey guys, last year I lowered just the rear end I believe it was 1.5" or 2" for my gf with the links. She still feels a touch high on it, I haven't done the fronts yet. Two questions.

1. Will lowering the front 1" make a difference in overall height when she's on the bike.
2. After installing the risers, you loosing the clamps. Do you have to watch how much it is moving or just loosen it and let it move until it stops on its own?

Thanks in advance guys!
lxsedan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM   #84
lxsedan
ninjette.org newbie

anyone gimme a hand on this one?

Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:30 AM   #85
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxsedan View Post
1. Will lowering the front 1" make a difference in overall height when she's on the bike.
2. After installing the risers, you loosing the clamps. Do you have to watch how much it is moving or just loosen it and let it move until it stops on its own?
1. yes, it will and she'll find the bike will turn easier, too.

2. I lowered the bike with the spacers already mounted so it would drop only the amount that the spacers would allow by topping out against the bottom of the handlebar clamps. in other words, install the spacers and handlebars, loosen the pinch bolts on the triple clamps and twist the fork tubes as you shove them upwards into the spacers as far as they will go until they bottom on the underside of the handlebars. do both sides and tighten the pinch bolts. remove the handlebars to check that the fork tubes did indeed slide up evenly on both sides. reinstall handlebars.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:55 AM   #86
lxsedan
ninjette.org newbie

thanks for the help kim! exactly what I was looking for. I'll see how comfortable she is start of this season and go from there!

Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM   #87
kkim

if you've already lowered the back, you should lower the front, too. lowering only the back makes the bike harder to maneuver/clumsier in low speed conditions and more difficult to handle... makes learning even harder for a beginner. my recommendation... lower the front, too.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:42 PM   #88
lxsedan
ninjette.org newbie

Yeah I think in the end I will have to do it, just have to order the kim, not sure if roaringtoyz ships to Canada or any of my local places carry the kit here.

Not by the bike so i'm not sure but can I get to loosen the bottom clamp without taking off all the body work?

Old August 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #89
subiegy2010
noob in training

Name: Ilya

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (sold) '05 SV650S

I'm considering raising my bike back up to stock now that I'm more comfortable with it. How difficult would be to lower the forks back to the stock position?
subiegy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #90
kal-el
ninjette.org newbie

Name: NR

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

very helpful thread, thanks ts
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #91
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Name: Suzanne

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Does lower the front make handlebars higher for a more upright riding position

I bought the 1.3" inch risers to get my handlebars higher for a more upright riding position. All I did was remove handlebars and inserted risers, refitting handlebars with longer screws. Cables were tight and had to re-route clutch cable.

Reading about lowering the front on this forum, my question is - will lowering it 1" make my handlebars closer to me by 1".

I don't have trouble reaching flatfooted with stock setup, just want higher handle bars.

This may not be the forum for this question - but looked into a mod. to replace the screw mount handlebars with tube or mx bar. The simplest application I found was at http://japan.webike.net/products/2076500.html

The problem is finding longer cables. Have looked everywhere with the only solution is to have them made (very expensive).

Any thoughts after answering the 1st question about lowering the front?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg handlebar mounts.jpg (39.5 KB, 2 views)
Ninjamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #92
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamomma View Post
The simplest application I found was at http://japan.webike.net/products/2076500.html
WHERE did you find those? I really want a set like that!

I clicked on the link but does anyone know where these can be order here in the US?
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #93
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Name: Suzanne

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Response to Josh - re: handlebar conversion

Hey Josh,

Sorry to say absolutely no one (have searched for 18 months) makes these in the US - Although I have contacted Murphs Kits (an aftermarket parts company) and sent them photos to see if they COULD make them. The reply was, "If you can find at least 20 people interested with down payment, we could manufacture them for you." I wrote them back just last week to see if they could give me an approx. cost so I could post it here and try to gather 20 interested riders (don't think it would be too hard as I have read many people wanting this conversion).

The bad news is (if you went with the Webike mounts around $250), the cost of longer cables can be close to $200 (if not more according to MotionPro, which will not make brake cables due to hydraulic needs and referred me to Speigleusa.com - $65 for brake cable) - not including the handlebar of choice. Soooo, the cost of this mod could be approx. $500 if you do the work and $700+ if you have a shop do it. I'm having to contemplate how much I love my little Ninja (which I do!!) or just buy a used Ninja 650 that has this type of handlebar setup.

Hope this helps
Ninjamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #94
chsonnu
ninjette.org member

Name: ccs

Motorcycle(s): 2009 kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2001 Suzuki GS500

Hey all, I'm an idiot. I just loosened the upper and lower fork bolts without installing the risers and handlebars so the forks ended sliding up about 3 inches. Now I can't seem to push or pull the forks to get them flush with the handlebar mount since the frontend is so heavy. Any ideas?
chsonnu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #95
chsonnu
ninjette.org member

Name: ccs

Motorcycle(s): 2009 kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2001 Suzuki GS500

It looks like I overestimated the amount of inches the forks were protruding. I was able to slip on the handlebars after jacking up the triple clamp using a 2x2.
chsonnu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #96
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

So you're good? :shrug
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #97
abdielap
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Abdiel

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Hi there, very interesting thread. I think the idea of the blocks is very simple, but actually i would like to lower the front end of the bike without rising the handlebars.

It may be a stupid question, but could it be possible to cut the fork bars on top like 1" both so in that way i can get all the front end lowered 1". What iam looking is a little bit aggresive stand for my 250r. I plan lettin the back stock and just lower the front end.

Let me know your comments please.
abdielap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #98
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdielap View Post
Hi there, very interesting thread. I think the idea of the blocks is very simple, but actually i would like to lower the front end of the bike without rising the handlebars.

It may be a stupid question, but could it be possible to cut the fork bars on top like 1" both so in that way i can get all the front end lowered 1". What iam looking is a little bit aggresive stand for my 250r. I plan lettin the back stock and just lower the front end.

Let me know your comments please.
why not just get clipons

Old December 30th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #99
abdielap
ninjette.org newbie

to be honest, because mechanically talking it looks a little safer the stock handlebars in wich the bumps of the street get directly stop by the top of the handle bar and not just to the friction of the clip on.... i mean i may be overeacting, but it is much more better the stock disign...

Anyway ....has anyone had any problem with clip ons???

Old December 30th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #100
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdielap View Post
to be honest, because mechanically talking it looks a little safer the stock handlebars in wich the bumps of the street get directly stop by the top of the handle bar and not just to the friction of the clip on.... i mean i may be overeacting, but it is much more better the stock disign...

Anyway ....has anyone had any problem with clip ons???
..... wwwwwwwwwhat?

the forks attach to the triples. if the forks are putting pressure on the bottom of the handlebars, there is serious issues. if your forks are sliding around in your triples, you have SERIOUS issues and that bike is not remotely safe to ride.

Old December 30th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #101
abdielap
ninjette.org newbie

Ok, good to know. Good to know.... in that case... thanks a lot alex... I'll go for my clipons.

My bike it is stock all over this is going to be its firts mod putting outside the fender elimination.

once again thanks for your help.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:56 AM   #102
Foxrider64
Hello Moto

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1975 RD350; 2001 KX125; 2003 Z1000; 2003 KDX50; 2009 ZX6R; 2011 Ninja 250R; 2014 KX250F

You could always cut the internals of the fork; ie preload spacer or spring.

NOTE: I do not recommend cutting the spring or spacer for any reason as it changes the amount of travel from stationary to completely compressed.

If you don't care about suspension travel or the potential of bottoming out- I'd cut the spacers before the springs.
Foxrider64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2021, 05:55 PM   #103
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
That's a good idea. Lower it and once you feel it's holding you back, put it back to stock. Try not to lower it more than an inch, though.

gl... hope it helps.
I am courious as to why you say that ? I have both a rear lowering kit and the handle bar risers that you discribed... but I left my forks at their original position... mostly because I liked the way the bike sits now...LOL
I plan to ride it a bit and see how bad it is in the twisties before I LOWER the front...
I expect it will be horrable with the rear of the bike lowered and not the front
but we shall see. I lowered the bike a real long way, I got the fully adjustable
lowering kit (with 2 turn buckles) and wound up with it at 3/4" longer than the stock Dog bones.
right now the bike on the side stand is fairly vertical ( not good) a strong wind could blow it over ! if I lower the front I am sure it will be past vertical and I will have to shorten the side stand....
But I think I will lower the front before I do anything more, as making it quicker in the turns is my desire not the opposite ! and that is what I have done...
it's good to finally find this thread on Ninjette ! I thought I was the only short person here ! LOL
to me if you cannot flat foot a bike with your knees slightly bent
it is a major hazard to you and the bike.... my seat height is now 27"~28"
and it's just right for my 30" inseam ..... if your shorter, you need to lower your bike more !
so back into the shop with the Ninja....Again !
EDIT: 9/30/2021 .... to be totally fair I was in the middle of adjusting my 250R when I posted this... and Yes I dropped the rear 4" and the front forks 2" .....BUT over the course of a few months I have raised the rear back up.... i had a 28" seat height for a while, but Now I have a 29" seat height.... and I left the front forks down 2" from stock..... this is where I think I will leave it as it handles even better than it did before ( which wasn't bad, but now it wants to corner itself !)
I don't have to tell it to start the corner it's as if it is already doing it ! it's like all i have to do is think it ! it's amazing !
so the end results is Lowered the front by 2" and the rear by 1" and it's perfect for me !
and Yes I did have to shorten the side stand by 5/8" but should have gone a bit more.perhaps 3/4"

Bob.....

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; September 30th, 2021 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Additional information
Bob KellyIII is offline   Reply With Quote