ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 29th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Mrs.D
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tammy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250 R Ninja Red

So Excited!!!!!

I passed the MSP (MSF) Course, never riding before the course started or drove anything with a manual transmittion. Boy was I a nervous wreck. I'm so excited to have my motorcycle license and to learn more about riding and being safe on a motorcycle. Don't worry I won't be joining the gerneral population on the road untill I practice alot more.

Love To All & Safe Riding,
Mrs. D

Learn To Ride, Live To Ride, Love To Ride!

Last futzed with by Mrs.D; August 29th, 2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Ooops, I think I posted this in the wrong forum...
Mrs.D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #2
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Congrats!

Having just under 160 miles under my belt, I can relate to the feeling. Parking lot and back-road time seems invaluble.

Stay safe
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #3
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Way to go! Find a vacant parking lot and practice, practice, and practice.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #4
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Good job. Be safe and get some good gear.

Old August 29th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Tigress
Musical Genius

Name: Belinda

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Blue AKA "The Kid" 08 Vulcan 900 Classic Blue(for now) AKA "Honey"

Good for you!! It's such an exhilarating feeling!!
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #6
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Congratulations!

Old August 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #7
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

It's neat ah. Congratulations!
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #8
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Congrats!

If I may offer just one suggestion, and that is: Master counter-steering for medium-high speed turns, i.e. steer left to go right, steer right to go left. Push right handlebar forward to go right, push left handlebar forward to go left. May sound wrong, but it's not. Counting on weight transfer to lean the bike won't cut it, and you will go wide and crash. If you already know this, tell other newbies. Many of them do not know counter-steering, and many have crashed because of it. When you are the process of mastering it, it is somewhat counter-intuitive and requires a conscious effort. Once you have mastered it, it will be second nature, and you will love it.

Very slow speed parking-lot maneuvers won't teach you counter-steering too well. It has to be at some speed on some twisties. Have fun, and be safe, and counter-steering is first of all a safety technique - to keep you on the road.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #9
kkim

Aloha and welcome, Tammy.

Practice and wear your gear at all times when riding the bike... at least during the first 6 months.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #10
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
Congrats!

If I may offer just one suggestion, and that is: Master counter-steering for medium-high speed turns, i.e. steer left to go right, steer right to go left. Push right handlebar forward to go right, push left handlebar forward to go left. May sound wrong, but it's not. Counting on weight transfer to lean the bike won't cut it, and you will go wide and crash. If you already know this, tell other newbies. Many of them do not know counter-steering, and many have crashed because of it. When you are the process of mastering it, it is somewhat counter-intuitive and requires a conscious effort. Once you have mastered it, it will be second nature, and you will love it.

Very slow speed parking-lot maneuvers won't teach you counter-steering too well. It has to be at some speed on some twisties. Have fun, and be safe, and counter-steering is first of all a safety technique - to keep you on the road.
OK, I may be confused on the counter steering thing. When I was in MSF, they taught to push down on the side you want to turn. I have found that pushing forward does the same. Is this what is refered to as counter-steering?

nb

Old August 30th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #11
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
OK, I may be confused on the counter steering thing. When I was in MSF, they taught to push down on the side you want to turn. I have found that pushing forward does the same. Is this what is refered to as counter-steering?

nb
Exactly correct. It isn't as mystical as it sounds though! The countersteer creates the lean. The motorcycle does actually turn the way the handlebars are turned, but that tends to come naturally once you're leaned over from countersteering. It might sound confusing, but it feels pretty natural after a little practice
Posted via Mobile Device
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
When I was in MSF, they taught to push down on the side you want to turn. I have found that pushing forward does the same.
What the rider is trying to do is turn the front forks slightly to the outside of the turn. Pushing down isn't really pushing the bike down, it's moving the steering, and the bike leans in the appropriate direction right away. What's really happening is that pushing down is applying some force in the pushing forward direction.

As you may have already found out, pushing forward works even better, as there is not wasted energy pushing the bars down where they can't really move. That's why people are always told to keep their arms bent and loose, rather than straightarming to the bars; the more bent they are when you are leaned over, the more flat they are, making any directional input much more forward/back than up/down. Saves energy, makes for easier and more precise steering inputs.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #13
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

I took about 25 years off from riding. One thing that I found very helpful was reading about certain techniques and strategies. I think this helps reduce your stress level by allowing you to visualize events before they actually happen, much like any type of "sports visualization".

Here are a few books I really enjoyed and continue to browse:

1) Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well (Paperback)
by David L. Hough

2) Ride Hard, Ride Smart: Ultimate Street Strategies for Advanced Motorcyclists (Paperback) by Patrick Hahn

3) A Twist of the Wrist 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding (Paperback)
by Keith Code.

Keith Code's book has a lot of information about the physics of riding and cornering do's / don'ts.

If any one would like a PDF version of the Code book just send me an off-line email. My email is at my website.

Last futzed with by edwinmcq; August 30th, 2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typo
edwinmcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

All good recommendations! A few more are up in this sticky thread.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #15
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazinCajun View Post
Exactly correct. It isn't as mystical as it sounds though! The countersteer creates the lean. The motorcycle does actually turn the way the handlebars are turned, but that tends to come naturally once you're leaned over from countersteering. It might sound confusing, but it feels pretty natural after a little practice
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats what I thought. Been doing since I used to race bicycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What the rider is trying to do is turn the front forks slightly to the outside of the turn. Pushing down isn't really pushing the bike down, it's moving the steering, and the bike leans in the appropriate direction right away. What's really happening is that pushing down is applying some force in the pushing forward direction.

As you may have already found out, pushing forward works even better, as there is not wasted energy pushing the bars down where they can't really move. That's why people are always told to keep their arms bent and loose, rather than straightarming to the bars; the more bent they are when you are leaned over, the more flat they are, making any directional input much more forward/back than up/down. Saves energy, makes for easier and more precise steering inputs.
And that is what I have been doing. Just don't remember the instructor calling in counter-steering. Been doing all along and didn't know it. I remember doing it on a bicycle oh so many years ago when I used to live on a multi-speed road bike.

nb

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #16
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
All good recommendations! A few more are up in this sticky thread.
Thanks Alex. I didn't know that was up there. I still have about 8700 posts unread I can't seem to catch up!

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #17
Tigress
Musical Genius

Name: Belinda

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Blue AKA "The Kid" 08 Vulcan 900 Classic Blue(for now) AKA "Honey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinmcq View Post
I took about 25 years off from riding. One thing that I found very helpful was reading about certain techniques and strategies. I think this helps reduce your stress level by allowing you to visualize events before they actually happen, much like any type of "sports visualization".
That is so true. I've been a reading fool since I started riding in May. It helped me to visualize me riding properly. It also helped me to realize that I needed a smaller bike to start on. Now things feel so much better.
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #18
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Whoot Congrats!

Old August 30th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #19
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Countersteering

The physics explanation for why countersteering works the way it does is that the same force is at work that keeps the bike upright and very stable at even low speeds- the gyroscopic force generated by the spinning wheels. If you have ever done the simple experiment with a spinning bicycle wheel of holding the axel and trying to push the wheel in one direction or the other, you will understand this immediately. The wheel pushes back, and tries to go in the opposite direction! On the moving motorcycle, this translates into a lean in the opposite direction that you "push" the bars. As has been noted here, the countersteer is used to initiate the turn. Once the bike is leaned over, the bars are essentially straight again. If you look closely at photos in racing magazines and bike tests, you can actually see the front wheel turned very slightly in the opposite direction of the turn when the lean is being started.

Incidentally, this is one reason why locking the brakes on a motorcycle is so dangerous- all of that gyroscopic stability is instantly lost. Good ABS, as on the new CBR600 ABS, will save a lot of grief for the riders fortunate to have it on their bikes.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

While the gyroscopic forces certainly have a contributing effect, most folks have determined that the primary reason the bike starts to lean is simply the weight of the bike causing it to once the front wheel tracks outside of straight ahead. That's what we are seeing in those photos and those slow-mo video shots of the front wheel pointed outside of the turn itself (turned left in the beginning portions of a right turn). Check out the math in this wikipedia entry on countersteering, and scroll down to the Gyroscopic Effects section. The actual forces provided by the gyro effect and the ground effect are calculated out, and in their example the gyro effect is about 12% of the ground effect. It's significant, but minor.

Old August 30th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #21
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congratulations on passing the course. Where is leesport?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #22
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Alex, while we can disagree about the contribution of the gyroscopic effect to countersteer physics, I will note this quotation from the wiki article you referenced:

"While the moment from gyroscopic forces is only 12% of this, it can play a significant part because it begins to act as soon as the rider applies the torque, instead of building up more slowly as the wheel out-tracks. This can be especially helpful in motorcycle racing."

In any event, all riders should be aware of these forces at work on a 2 wheeled vehicle. Many crashes occur because the rider locks the brakes, falls down and possible initiates a violent high side, when if he understood quick countersteering maneuvers he may have been able to avoid the collision altogether. It's hard to prepare for this type of situation, but a little knowledge can't hurt.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #23
websniper
New rider

Name: Jarrod

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazinCajun View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Definitely get Proficient Motorcycling as suggest by edwin, it does an excellent job of explaining counter steering.
websniper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #24
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Been countersteering for years bicycle racing--sort of do it intuitively on the Ninjette. Definitely the way to go.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #25
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

congrats

if you join ROK, Riders of Kawasaki, on Kawasaki's website, they'll send you a $50 gift certificate when you send them your MSF certificate saying you passed.

You get some other nice perks, and it only costs about $40 a year so you get your money back
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #26
Mrs.D
ninjette.org newbie

Leesport is in PA

Old September 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #27
Mrs.D
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks a bunch. I'm reading proficient motorcycling already.

Old September 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #28
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:

nb
At speeds higher than 25 mph or so, using body-weight for leaning is no longer sufficient (as in lower speeds). You need active and conscious counter-steering - a deliberate pushing forward (slightly down I guess) of the right handle-bar to go right, left handle-bar to go left - at least to initiate the body lean for the turn.

Here are counter-steering maneuvers to various degrees:

And a quick lesson:

Without counter-steering, you cannot execute tight curves at speed, and will go wide off the road.

And it is the most fun thing to do in motorcycling other than sheer acceleration and speed.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #29
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Leesport, PA? I know a couple guys from there, race cars with them. Also remember going there with my grandparents when I was younger to the farmer's market.

Congratulations on passing the course.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #30
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

Watch this for a more dramatic example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP20XTbeJvg
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote