ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 6th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #1
roundhouse
ninjette.org member

Name: mark

Motorcycle(s): 04 250R

Runs like a champ but....

So I had ducatiman (AKA Gordon) rebuild my carbs.

Started like a champ as soon as the carbs got fuel. I have heard "purrs like a kitten" before but now I know what it means. Cannot thank this man enough for the GREAT work he did.

Anyway the bike sat for a long time with fuel in it before I got it. (I got ripped off by a local boy who said he rebuilt my carbs but did not do the job or maybe just sprayed them with carb cleaner. so I sent em to Gordon, who got em spotless like new)

I bought a used tank and used vinegar to get out the rust.

anyway I digress, I started the bike let it idle for a few minutes to heat up the oil and drained it.

I think it is the original oil.

I could still see through it but it had streaks through it and a few tiny metal shavings. Bike only has 2300 miles so I doubt it ever got changed.

metal appeared to be aluminum and is not steel

question, if it was original oil could the little bits of aluminum be from break in? there is also whitish stuff looks and feel like oil of olay lotion EXTREME hydration formula, think it was moisture in the oil? (give me a break I have ashy shins HAHA)

I think I am going to put fifty or so miles on it and change the oil again.

the little specks in the pan are the aluminum.

the whitish goo is the oil of olay EXTREME hydration looking stuff.

on a happy not I let my kid ride his first street bike, he wanted to ride my big bike but a 400# 1000 is probably not a good starter (hell it scares me) I rode the ninjette to the empty parking lot and fell in love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170506_132017.jpg (73.2 KB, 8 views)
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
If the sitting for a long time was outdoors, or in an unheated shed or garage, the white stuff could be a result of condensation of moisture in the air. Your idea of changing the oil and running it for a while, then changing it again, is a good one.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #3
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yeah, I'd run it a bit and change the oil and see what happens. Glad you got the little guy running!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote