ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old February 12th, 2015, 09:37 AM   #1
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

Blake's Road to Recovery

Before you guys read the link, I'll go ahead and say it:

Yes, his first bike appeared to be a 600cc supersport. Yes, he was squidding. Yes, he probably lost control of his bike, and only has himself to blame. You can decide that for yourself, but PLEASE keep it to yourself..

This guy is the husband to be of my neighbor, and he's always been extremely helpful and generous to everyone in our cove. If you'd like to read his story and possibly donate to his GoFundMe, please click the link.

*I'm not associated with the finances or website, so if you have personal questions or statements, it'd be best to send them directly to the family via the link*

http://www.gofundme.com/PrayforBlake

This one cuts close to the heart, with a fellow Memphian and neighbor cut down..

Old February 12th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
isn't that the 1000cc?

Old February 12th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
isn't that the 1000cc?
Yeah, I'm not sure which one it is.. I guessed 600cc, but I definitely wasn't positive.

Old February 12th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14

"His first night at the hospital, he was in surgery for 7 hours for his injuries. He had a compound fracture to the right femur that tore the artery, punctured lung, bruised kidney, compound fracture to his right elbow where the muscle and nerves were torn from the bone, dislocated hip, broken pelvic, fractured two vertebras, dislocated both knees, broke his right ankle. Not to mention all the road rash from the accident as well."

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 12th, 2015, 12:50 PM   #5
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Ouch!
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sounds like he got ran over after he went down

Old February 12th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #7
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Ouch... Sorry bout your soon to be neighbor. Hope he heals an fast

Old February 12th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Best wishes to him!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #9
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
sounds like he got ran over after he went down
well he was hit by a van, sedans are very preferable since you just get launched over them (ideally) where with a van you sort of hit it like a brick wall

good luck with recovery, life hits hard sometimes

Old February 12th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #10
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Holy ****, that sounds horribly painful. Poor dude.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #11
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
holy ****ing ****. what an ordeal. $10,000 isn't even remotely going to be able to put a dent in medical bills like that. I hope he has really good insurance. happy to hear he will recover, though!

Old February 12th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
............ This one cuts close to the heart, with a fellow Memphian and neighbor cut down..
This was a horrible accident and is a terrible recovery process!

Hope only the best for him, friends and family.

Nobody should go through so much pain and extensive trauma.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #13
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
holy ****ing ****. what an ordeal. $10,000 isn't even remotely going to be able to put a dent in medical bills like that. I hope he has really good insurance. happy to hear he will recover, though!
Yeah but I'm sure any $$ to help would mean a smoother recovery for him.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #14
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Yeah, at least in my area, the only people that ride sport bikes are total squids. Well, really the only people fully geared are the touring guys and the occasional nut (like me or @Jono)

It's debilitating as a fellow motorcyclist to see this stuff happening all the time, but it just gets pushed aside in the brain like everything else. It's when something like THIS happens so close to home that people really start to wonder what they're doing and how they're doing it. I really hope prospective riders in his family will learn this lesson..

Old February 13th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #15
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Squids everywhere in these parts.

Sucks for that guy. His injures are gruesome but could have been minimized with gear. It's hard for me to feel very sorry for people like this. To have a pretty new supersport yet chose to wear only a helmet. That's just silly. I don't understand some peoples thinking.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #16
Roark
ninjette.org sage

I wonder if the state or even national government will ever enact more safety regulations..

Like where SNELL or ECE is the new standard over DOT, where full faced helmets are required, where certain levels of gear are required.. Likely won't happen anytime soon, but it's nice to wonder.

Old February 13th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #17
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
I wonder if the state or even national government will ever enact more safety regulations..

Like where SNELL or ECE is the new standard over DOT, where full faced helmets are required, where certain levels of gear are required.. Likely won't happen anytime soon, but it's nice to wonder.
You want the government to force people to wear this stuff but post a donation for the consequences?

Sucks to see this happen to any rider but taking that risk without insurance to cover yourself and taking donations......
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #18
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
You want the government to force people to wear this stuff but post a donation for the consequences?

Sucks to see this happen to any rider but taking that risk without insurance to cover yourself and taking donations......
Wondering and wanting have different meanings..

And to play the devil's advocate, a lot of riders simply aren't exposed to proper gear usage and riding techniques. Lots of my friends and family have ridden motorcycles before, and none of them have bought motorcycle specific jackets, pants, boots, or gloves. Most wore 3/4 helmets, leather working gloves, jeans, and work boots. To say they were stupid for their "decisions" would be incorrect. They were but ignorant, as there is NO advertisement for proper gear or training here in Memphis. I've been lucky to never have lost anyone.

My dad rode a '79 KZ1000 for 15 years, logging nearly 100,000 miles all around the Mid South region. Not once did he lay his bike down.. Similarly, not once did he wear more than a full faced helmet, jeans, and some leather working gloves. When I showed him my REV'IT jacket, he nearly laughed at himself for not knowing about various safety gear.

There are riders like you and me that wear our gear, as we are well educated and immersed in the riding culture. Others aren't and maybe never will be. My dad is a clear example of that.

I don't blame Blake for not wearing proper gear; I blame the system and society that doesn't advertise it enough.

Old February 13th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #19
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

In this day and age, there is no excuse for not knowing about gear.

And if you choose not to protect yourself, you have to accept the consequences.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 13th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #20
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.............. a lot of riders simply aren't exposed to proper gear usage and riding techniques. Lots of my friends and family have ridden motorcycles before, and none of them have bought motorcycle specific jackets, pants, boots, or gloves. Most wore 3/4 helmets, leather working gloves, jeans, and work boots. To say they were stupid for their "decisions" would be incorrect. They were but ignorant, as there is NO advertisement for proper gear or training here in Memphis. I've been lucky to never have lost anyone.

My dad rode a '79 KZ1000 for 15 years, logging nearly 100,000 miles all around the Mid South region. Not once did he lay his bike down.. Similarly, not once did he wear more than a full faced helmet, jeans, and some leather working gloves. When I showed him my REV'IT jacket, he nearly laughed at himself for not knowing about various safety gear.
I find these statements very correct.
Not only that, when I started riding by the half of the last century, some street riders and all racers could only wear helmets like this:

Heavy fiberglass top, soft leather over the neck and ears, some internal cushion.
Leather suits, boots and gloves were used only by professional racers, and still I saw plenty of amateur races in which minimum protection was used.

As years went by, machines became more powerful, fast and deadly and roads became faster and traffic more complex, still yet, there always were ignorant and wise riders.

Your father could do what he did without getting hurt or killed because he was one of the wise riders: he never put himself in a position in which he had to test any protecting gear.
In other words, he rode in a way that he never needed the protective potential of his full faced helmet and working gloves.

Motorcycling safety is much more complicate than wearing protecting gear.
I consider that gear is the last line of defense, which will do its best when we have jumped several layers of prevention or when that extraordinary dangerous situation arrives.

I believe that it is important to talk about the limitations of gear regarding protection in falls and collisions, in order to eliminate any false sense of protection that inexperienced riders may get.

The accident of your friend is far from typical because the level of tissue and bones damage without important damage to his brain.
Most motorcycle accidents happen at much lower speed (around 30 mph), being the brain the more vulnerable vital organ.
The damage that the body of your friend suffered was caused by sudden deceleration from high rate of speed.

That deceleration is translated into huge instantaneous forces able to break bones and liquify brains.
There is only so much deceleration (or g-forces) that the normal human body can tolerate (around 25 times gravity):

Please read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

The only sure way to reduce damage is reducing the speed.
As our bikes gain speed, tremendous energy is being accumulated at a square rate.
In this way, a bike with a speed of 80 mph has accumulated exactly twice the potentially destructive energy that it would have traveling at 57 mph.

While riding the streets, we cannot count on the good judgement, attention and capability to see of the drivers among which we are moving relatively fast.
We cannot afford a collision, even at moderate speed.
All we have are our vision, judgement and skills.

Those three important tools are very closely related to accelerations, speeds and decelerations; hence, to the main potential killer: accumulated energy.
Your father was able to wisely handle those three tools for thousands of miles.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #21
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

MOTOFOOL,
Extremely well said. I agree that "More Laws" are not the answer but More Education very well may be the answer. There is little use for a $500 A* jacket and a $600 Shoei helmet if you do not crash! The sport of riding Motorcycles is all about decisions, what bike, what gear........ There is just as much bad information out there as good information so if you are totally green to riding your opinion of what is best, right and even safe is dependant on who you look to for advice/information. when I started riding The people who mentored me told me not to buy smaller than 600cc because I would get bored with it quickly. They had raced dirt bikes (including 500cc 2strokes) and ridden on the street for years. They also told me just to get a helmet and gloves and dont worry about a jacket till fall (this was spring). I have learned this is crazy now and wont even get on the bike without all my gear. Some people dont consider it dangerous enough to wear a jacket or even a helmet when they are riding locally. We all have to decide what level of risk we are willing to take every time you thumb the starter on your bike. There is a lot more to bike safety than simply wearing gear. You must be like a deer in the woods always ready to jump at the slightest sound and see what is about to happen not what is happening. The best safety gear is your ability to see the danger before its too late! Everything else is just to simply limit the amount of damage not keep you safe. Sorry this ran so long I wanted to get my point across but there is too much info. Hope this makes sense
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #22
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
MOTOFOOL,
Extremely well said. I agree that "More Laws" are not the answer but More Education very well may be the answer. There is little use for a $500 A* jacket and a $600 Shoei helmet if you do not crash! The sport of riding Motorcycles is all about decisions, what bike, what gear........ There is just as much bad information out there as good information so if you are totally green to riding your opinion of what is best, right and even safe is dependant on who you look to for advice/information. when I started riding The people who mentored me told me not to buy smaller than 600cc because I would get bored with it quickly. They had raced dirt bikes (including 500cc 2strokes) and ridden on the street for years. They also told me just to get a helmet and gloves and dont worry about a jacket till fall (this was spring). I have learned this is crazy now and wont even get on the bike without all my gear. Some people dont consider it dangerous enough to wear a jacket or even a helmet when they are riding locally. We all have to decide what level of risk we are willing to take every time you thumb the starter on your bike. There is a lot more to bike safety than simply wearing gear. You must be like a deer in the woods always ready to jump at the slightest sound and see what is about to happen not what is happening. The best safety gear is your ability to see the danger before its too late! Everything else is just to simply limit the amount of damage not keep you safe. Sorry this ran so long I wanted to get my point across but there is too much info. Hope this makes sense
I think you made you point just fine.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2015, 07:42 AM   #23
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
"His first night at the hospital, he was in surgery for 7 hours for his injuries. He had a compound fracture to the right femur that tore the artery, punctured lung, bruised kidney, compound fracture to his right elbow where the muscle and nerves were torn from the bone, dislocated hip, broken pelvic, fractured two vertebras, dislocated both knees, broke his right ankle. Not to mention all the road rash from the accident as well."
Horrendous. His life right now and for many months ahead isn't a life I'd wish on my worst enemy. I hope he has support and I hope he finds strength within to get through this.

Quote:
It's when something like THIS happens so close to home that people really start to wonder what they're doing and how they're doing it. I really hope prospective riders in his family will learn this lesson..
I think it's likely those prospective riders will come to the conclusion "motorcycles are dangerous; you shouldn't ride one" instead of coming to the conclusion "motorcycles are dangerous; you should exercise a high level of care, self-responsibility and caution if you choose to ride one".

I regard the former conclusion as illogical, but none-the-less, deciding that "motorcycles are dangerous" may well save a lot of people from a disastrous outcome.

I think if someone achieves the wisdom to arrive at the latter conclusion, they will get to experience the very unique, enjoyable and engaging experience of riding with a vastly decreased risk of suffering a terrible crash.

Old March 7th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #24
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Motorcycles are no more dangerous than crossing the street in heavy traffic or driving a cage. The danger comes from incompetence, inattention, ignorance, and stupidity, several of which apply in this case.

Old March 7th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #25
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Motorcycles are no more dangerous than crossing the street in heavy traffic or driving a cage. The danger comes from incompetence, inattention, ignorance, and stupidity, several of which apply in this case.
I see your greater point, but I do think that someone exercising "incompetence, inattention, ignorance, and stupidity" is much more likely to get hurt on a bike than they are in cage (on the road).

I just recently started driving again and I've been pretty blown away by all the safety features my pretty basic car has that are just non existent on my bike. Air bags, specially designed protective frame, windshield that holds together when smashed (rather than getting shards of glass in my face), seatbelt, ABS (still not on every bike) and a loud horn (not the pathetic thing they normally put on motorcycles). This doesn't even take in account the wide, highly visible profile of the car and the fact that I can take corners hard and brake hard in my car without the high level of skill and practise required to brake and corner hard on my bike.

Like I said though. I see your point: the bike isn't the problem, it's the mindset of the rider.

Old March 7th, 2015, 09:12 AM   #26
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Yeah, at least in my area, the only people that ride sport bikes are total squids. Well, really the only people fully geared are the touring guys and the occasional nut (like me or @Jono)

It's debilitating as a fellow motorcyclist to see this stuff happening all the time, but it just gets pushed aside in the brain like everything else. It's when something like THIS happens so close to home that people really start to wonder what they're doing and how they're doing it. I really hope prospective riders in his family will learn this lesson..
Same down here in Texas. In two and a half years living down here and riding I have seen maybe 2 or 3 other riders (Both Sportbike and Cruiser) wearing full gear. Some will at least wear a helmet, but be in jeans and T-shirt with tennis shoes, especially in the hot months. People look at me like I am crazy when sitting at stop lights and I am wearing all black gear in 100 degree weather. It does get hot at the lights, but not too bad one riding, if anything the sweat that builds ups at stoplights helps cool me off better once I get up to speed. I say that I am ATTGATT, but probably to some on the site I am not since my gear is not a full leather suit. To me wearing any kind of armored overpants, armored jacket (Mesh, Kevlar and Dycron), Boots, Gloves and helmet is ATTGATT. I always get questioned at banks, stores, etc., "Don't you get hot in that?", Well what the **** do you think? but it sure beats a skin graft and at least a year of recovering or possibly just dying all together. Even have heard the menatlity from other riders that; "At highway speeds I would probably die with or without gear anyways". Wow, really man? or the classic, "I don't wear a helmet because they can cause more damage in a crash and actually create injuries or death that wouldn't have happened without the helmet". ??????? Lady at my work uses this excuse when she rides with her husband. I just have to bite my tongue and just smile. She claims that when she went down a few years ago she would have died had she been wearing a helmet.

Sorry I know this is not what this thread is about, I will stop now.
Prayers that he keeps recovering and doesn't let the mental and emotional parts of his healing keep him from recovering or leading a full normal as normal can be life.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2015, 09:13 AM   #27
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I see your point: the bike isn't the problem, it's the mindset of the rider.
Exactly. There are drivers who shouldn't be driving but do, and get in an inordinate number of accidents. Ditto for some bike riders. In contrast, there are riders who go their entire lives without a serious accident. Why is one in a number of accidents and the other accident free? It boils down to ability and attention.

Car accidents tend to be more survivable due to their built-in safety features. Motorcycles don't have comparable features that protect the rider, so they have more serious injuries and fatalities when they wreck.

Old March 8th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #28
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Horrendous. His life right now and for many months ahead isn't a life I'd wish on my worst enemy. I hope he has support and I hope he finds strength within to get through this.

I think it's likely those prospective riders will come to the conclusion "motorcycles are dangerous; you shouldn't ride one" instead of coming to the conclusion "motorcycles are dangerous; you should exercise a high level of care, self-responsibility and caution if you choose to ride one".

I regard the former conclusion as illogical, but none-the-less, deciding that "motorcycles are dangerous" may well save a lot of people from a disastrous outcome.

I think if someone achieves the wisdom to arrive at the latter conclusion, they will get to experience the very unique, enjoyable and engaging experience of riding with a vastly decreased risk of suffering a terrible crash.
This is exactly how my parents always felt, they tend to see it the other way some now after having to follow me home from the airport when they visited. Still scares the hell out of them that I ride though, but I think it was witnessing first hand the gear that I ride in and how attentive I am while riding that has eases their minds a bit.

Old March 8th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #29
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
when I started riding The people who mentored me told me not to buy smaller than 600cc because I would get bored with it quickly:
I have had a lot of people tell me this when I was first first looking at the 250, as well as after I had bought it. Really the main reason for the 250 when I first bought it was that the insurance wasn't going to be $160 a month like the 600 would have been. I admit now that I am glad I started with the 250, having been a new rider. About a year ago I was picking up my bike at a Kawai dealer after the had installed a new tire for me and one of the dealers walked by and said, "she's a little cutie". At first I was kind of thinking, F*%k you man! But I told him that I really didn't see the need to have a bike that can do 150 mph. He stopped and said, "You know you are probably the first guy I have ever heard in here say something smart for once. We are always getting first time riders in here that will not go for anything smaller than a 600 because they think they will be seen as a girl". Told him that I know the size of my manhood and don't need an engine to back it up. Having been said, there are sometimes now after riding for the last 2 years, and becoming a decent rider, that I would like to see what a 600 is like. I really don't have any interest in ever going bigger than that. Maybe one day when wife is out of school and making decent money as well, I will be able to afford a 600, but even then I will never get rid of my little 250 "Niro".

Old March 31st, 2015, 08:26 PM   #30
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
how's he doing?