ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old March 13th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
cynicalkit
la pussy gata

Name: kit

Motorcycle(s): big wheel

First Racing Experience.

To all the fellow CVMA'ers. I have to say I had lots of fun hanging out with you guys. It was super fun shooting the **** and honestly the great group of heads we have going on is beyond awesome. Overall you guys made my freakin weekend.

On the flip side I really feel like we are getting the ****** end of the stick with CVMA. This is beyond the techical problems of round 1. I don't know how it was run last year but it's almost like we are a novelty that they just take our money for. I am fresh out of NRS. They give us first practice on a cold track in the morning, and them make us race last in the dark! I am happy however, that they made up for the race in the dark.

Also I feel like they cater to the pro's in regards to the fact that the broke out amatuer/expert for all the spec classes exept ours. I really do feel it is for the sole purpose of contingency money. If the amatuers were not considered part of the grid they dont get their money. It's really a freebie for them. So my first race I get to run against people the own superbike training schools? Really? It's not like I am dicing it up with you guys. I can spend that money on a track day. Im not learning anything, I wasn't pushed I don't feel this is a way for me to progress.

Your guys probably dont care or mind since you are all experts and run very closely with each other, but for me the wind has blown out of my sails. I'm conflicted. As of this moment I don't know if I will continue racing the 250 for the "fun" of it.

Yes, I am just whining...
cynicalkit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe switch to open class?

Old March 13th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #3
intortus

Name: Logan

Motorcycle(s): feellikeapro.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalkit View Post
On the flip side I really feel like we are getting the ****** end of the stick with CVMA. This is beyond the techical problems of round 1. I don't know how it was run last year but it's almost like we are a novelty that they just take our money for. I am fresh out of NRS. They give us first practice on a cold track in the morning, and them make us race last in the dark! I am happy however, that they made up for the race in the dark.
Your username is very apt. :P

All the racing clubs seem to **** on the lightweight bikes when it comes to practice ordering. But it makes a sort of sense to me to run the groups in order from slowest to fastest. As for being the last race in the day, that's probably just chance.

As for the split-up races, that's just a matter of number of entries. Those middleweight classes had three times as many riders as the 250 class. Bring in a couple dozen more 250s and you can get your own amateur race, too. It's not just a CVMA thing, other race organizations do this as well.

But do you really want to be separated from the experts? I'd rather have as many bikes as possible out on track to learn from. Having your own amateur race just makes the things you're complaining about worse.

I say stick with it. 250 racing is the most fun thing I have ever done. You just need to match up with the right competitors so you can push each other and learn. It's not CVMA's fault.
intortus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

I would have to say that this weekend is not representative of a normal race weekend. The huge delays can be blamed for only 4 lap races and us racing in the dark, but remember every round they re-order the race schedule so everyone gets a turn at last race of the day. We just happened to be that class. If you thought the delays were annoying, imagine having to try to fix them while 150 angry racers wait around on you?

Don't forget that they also don't separate amateur from expert in any of the other "specialty" classes. Formula 40, femmewalla, Formula GP, Vintage classes, etc. It doesn't seem that we're getting any kind of special treatment, we just don't have the grid size to demand a split. If it really is an issue in your mind, recruit a few more 250 people to come race, because if the grid is big enough (~20 bikes) they do listen and will split into two groups.

Also, if you want to get faster and want someone to tail or coach some, just ask! 250 racing to me isn't about winning and beating everyone (it doesnt hurt though :P) but its the self improvement. I really enjoyed having brian come out and school me this weekend because I learned a ton. And getting off track seeing everyone acting stupid doo doo dumb because they're all amped from adrenaline is the best part of the day. If you want pointers and have someone play with ya on track, I'm more than willing to help out, because I want you to have as much fun as I'm having.

Also, it would be really fun to have a more organized 250 row, show those "pros" that we're having more fun!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Feel Like A Pro
Head of the Flappers

Name: Fly'n Brian

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki 250 Ninjas and lots of them

Hang in there. I understand the frustration. I was there too. I think they did what they could with all the things that went wrong. Remeber they had over 100 riders that showed from what they thought would show up. Im sure they learned from it. If you would like some one on one coaching give me a call. Or ask some of your local guys. Im in northern Cali. But if you want some training check out our website. Www.feellikeapro.com

Old March 15th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Kit, I feel ya. Damn those experts...had they separated us Amateurs from the Experts I would have had my very own trophy by now. And contingency to boot!

In all seriousness, I sense the competition in your blood from reading your post. And that's good! You want to be recognized for your efforts in your class and I can't fault you for that cuz I was the same way. But I'll tell you one thing...the experts aren't racing for contingency nor are they using the amateurs to elevate themselves. They're racing for joy, thrills, experience, personal goal, etc. The moment you race for trophies and wins it just takes the fun away and creates more stress for yourself. And I'm speaking from personal experience. Set little personal goals for yourself Kit and I promise you'll find yourself pacing the same times as the guys in front. I'm serious...you will. Xtian was the same way: He was all about wins/trophies until he got spanked by faster guy(s) who came into the class a bit late. So the fun & excitement wasn't there until he redirected his goals from winning every race to personal goals (i.e. drop 1 second every race, corner faster here & there, work on trail braking at said corner, & so on). And lo'behold...he realized he can pace just as fast as the 14 yrs olds.

But I really do feel for Kit cuz 2:07-2:10 is pretty damn hard for an Amateur to achieve unless you're fast like me.

Let me ask you this Kit...what if we did split the group and some new amateurs enlisted and immediately were doing 2:12s and kept you from reaching the podium every round...how would you feel? I just want to make sure this isn't about trophies cuz if it is you're going to be in a world of hurt. I'll be honest, I was just a tiny bit disappointed I didn't podium but the fact that I was struggling all weekend (crashing then putting out lousy times) put a damper but the fact that I went 3 seconds faster over my personal best with minimal effort in the race is mind blowing to me.

And I think once you set different goals you'll start to truly enjoy racing, and will quickly see your laptimes drop. And like Steve and Brian said, you have so many fast guys who's willing to help you get there. Don't come asking help from me cuz no way I want you to beat me. Just kidding.

All in all, I hope you give it another try with a different perspective/goal/etc. but if you still want the grid separated I'll be the first to sign it under two conditions:

1) You do your due diligence to promote the class & recruit like Rex & I have

and

2) You don't protest me out of the Amateur class

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #7
cynicalkit
la pussy gata

Name: kit

Motorcycle(s): big wheel

If a true amatuer won, they deserve it. Dean is quicker than me by a lot, but he is a true amatuer and deserves to win. So would other people if they came in and probably will be faster than me. I just thought it would be classed fairly, but it is what it is, so be it.

Besides, Shane already told me to quit bitching and just learn to get faster.
cynicalkit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

I am a true "Amateur", gaddangit!!

And I blame Rex for that had he not taken me out for going so slow. LOL! I would have been an expert by now. hahaha

Seriously Kit I really think you can be up there. You have the form, fundamentals of cornering, the mentality, experience and know how...you just need to give it more throttle (sooner).

Just relax and let it loose!

Old March 16th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #9
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

also, pirellis are the **** and you should all be using them.

And, I'm pretty sure the best advice all weekend came from Brian: "if you're coming up to a section that scares you, take a deep breath before going in." No joke it made everything easier

Old March 16th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #10
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Dean's doing what? 2:16s or 2:18s...that's pretty impressive for someone who's "not all that into it".

It kinda sucked his bike shut off like that (cough*wrong jet size*cough)...I would like to have seen what he was capable of doing from the getgo without issues.

FYI - Last year, during practice I was doing 2:17-2:19s so you're right on pace.

Next month guys...next month.

Old March 16th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #11
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Stick in there Kit! I'm jealous that you, Tiff, and Tony were all close together at the finish.The three of you can push each other into faster times. I was all alone and almost had nothing to push me. After my engine troubles, I was content to take it easy... until the three of you passed me I should have tried to take the inside pass on that last turn!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
It kinda sucked his bike shut off like that (cough*wrong jet size*cough)...I would like to have seen what he was capable of doing from the getgo without issues.
Nah, it wasn't the jet size. I was a clean kill, so I'm thinking maybe the kick stand switch.

Speaking of Qual. I was for gridding by points but now I don't want to lose qual. Its the only time where you are being pushed without needing another rider. I ran 2:17 Qual but 2:21 race.

Quote:
for someone who's "not all that into it"
Yeah, I don't view track/racing as a passion, but more like a puzzle to be solved.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #12
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
Yeah, I don't view track/racing as a passion, but more like a puzzle to be solved.
the first step to recovery is...

Old March 16th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #13
dino74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
the first step to recovery is...
My first step to recovery is to install the 415gp chain conversion...
CVMA #55

Old March 16th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

When they gridded us by our 1st race results for Sunday I was like WTF? That was an error and should not happen again. You'll be gridded by your qualifying times for both Saturday and Sunday races.

But the fact that you ran slower in the race than qualifying shows me you got small balls for a big guy. But it's all good...I'd cup them.

Last futzed with by Nemesis; March 16th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #15
dino74

Quote:
... shows me you got small balls for a big guy. But it's all good...I'd cup them.
Was that you cupping my balls? Cause I was like WW, this guy must have lots of experience holding balls cause he's soooo good at it.
CVMA #55