ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

Deal, or no deal?

So I'm pretty new to the forums in terms of being a member finally, but I wanted some second and third opinions on what could be a good deal on my first motorcycle/ninja.

1. A new-old-stock 10' new gen for $3,400

2. An 06' black pre gen with 1k miles, never dropped, pretty darn clean. $2,200

3. 05' silver pre gen, 3k miles, darn clean, never dropped. $2,000

4. Or just a new, 11' SE White new gen

What do you guys think I should do? I'm done with my MSF, did really well, and I've been riding my parents Harleys for a while now, and I really think I'm ready. (Geesh, at 22, I should be ready haha). Any input is greatly appreciated!
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

The 2010 sounds great at that price, especially if it is out-the-door pricing. I paid $4300 for my '09 a year ago OTD.

In the end, it comes down to the one you like the most. If say, you want the SE, then get the SE regardless of price.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
The 2010 sounds great at that price, especially if it is out-the-door pricing. I paid $4300 for my '09 a year ago OTD.

In the end, it comes down to the one you like the most. If say, you want the SE, then get the SE regardless of price.
You think that's a good price for that bike? I thought so too. I don't want to be strapped or have too much invested into my first real bike. Idk, I guess I'm just being uptight.

Old March 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Go for the '11 SE.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #5
kkim

my choices would be these, if this were my first bike.

the likelihood of dropping a bike for a new rider is great w/in the first year of ownership, plus, you need to learn to ride first and the least investment you make initially, the better, IMHO. You'll still need to budget for riding gear, insurance and, of course, the inevitable mods that make the bike more to your liking.

You're very fortunate to have a few good candidates to select from. Buy the better of the two (maintenance records.. valve adjustments, especially, overall condition, sense of who took better care of the bike of the previous owners, mechanic checkout if you lack the knowledge to make an informed choice, etc.) and then, don't look back.

have fun.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #6
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

I would buy the 05' silver pre gen, 3k miles, darn clean, never dropped. $2,000

Less weight than 08-11 version, more engine performance, comes with a centerstand and engine temp. guage, with the money you save, easily get suspension upgrades tuned to your desire.

If you don't mess it up too badly as your first motorcycle, you are likely to sell it for more than your purchase price.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
my choices would be these, if this were my first bike.

the likelihood of dropping a bike for a new rider is great w/in the first year of ownership, plus, you need to learn to ride first and the least investment you make initially, the better, IMHO. You'll still need to budget for riding gear, insurance and, of course, the inevitable mods that make the bike more to your liking.

You're very fortunate to have a few good candidates to select from. Buy the better of the two (maintenance records.. valve adjustments, especially, overall condition, sense of who took better care of the bike of the previous owners, mechanic checkout if you lack the knowledge to make an informed choice, etc.) and then, don't look back.

have fun.
Thanks Kelly, that's really good advice, and I was thinking the same thing. I won't cry like a baby if I drop the pre gens like I would with the 11' SE haha. I have all of my gear (thanks Bikebandit.com! haha), and I have the cash to buy the ones under $2500, so I figure I should probably go that route anyhow.

I'll be on this tomorrow morning, so I'll let you guys know my spoils if any.

Old March 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #8
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
I would buy the 05' silver pre gen, 3k miles, darn clean, never dropped. $2,000

Less weight than 08-11 version, more engine performance, comes with a centerstand and engine temp. guage, with the money you save, easily get suspension upgrades tuned to your desire.

If you don't mess it up too badly as your first motorcycle, you are likely to sell it for more than your purchase price.
Wow, points that I really didn't know about ^ (temp gauge ftw)

Also, I take it the suspension is a common mod? I'm not too familiar with the pre gen mods, although I've always loved the bike itself.

Old March 20th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

What Kelly said is a good path as well. And A has a good point about being able to upgrade the suspension on the pre-gen to get the handling up to par.

For me it was not wanting to hassle with anything on a new bike. Before I decided on my Ninja, I was actually looking at KLR650s. It was recommended by many people due to my height and weight. I wanted a sportbike, but I thought that a dual-sport would be cool too, and I could find reasons to take it off-road, or on any of the many fire roads I have access to around here. The one thing that put me off this bike was a mechanical oddity referred to as the "doohicky" (it's a cam chain tensioner IIRC). I didn't want any hassle so I quickly went back to looking. After finding out that the new-gen 250s had adjustable preload (necessary for my weight), I put it back on my list and the rest is history.

Keep in mind, though, that if you get the pre-gen and fix the suspension, you still have an engine that is too peaky and won't serve you as well in the twisties. You really need to have some general idea of what type of riding you want to do before you can really choose between the two. If you don't know exactly what type of riding you think you are going to enjoy, then Kelly gives the best path to your first bike. Ride the heck out of the better of the two pre-gens and develop your skills; then in a year or two, you will know what you are looking for in a bike, as you get ready to make that next purchase.

Old March 20th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #10
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
What Kelly said is a good path as well. And A has a good point about being able to upgrade the suspension on the pre-gen to get the handling up to par.

For me it was not wanting to hassle with anything on a new bike. Before I decided on my Ninja, I was actually looking at KLR650s. It was recommended by many people due to my height and weight. I wanted a sportbike, but I thought that a dual-sport would be cool too, and I could find reasons to take it off-road, or on any of the many fire roads I have access to around here. The one thing that put me off this bike was a mechanical oddity referred to as the "doohicky" (it's a cam chain tensioner IIRC). I didn't want any hassle so I quickly went back to looking. After finding out that the new-gen 250s had adjustable preload (necessary for my weight), I put it back on my list and the rest is history.

Keep in mind, though, that if you get the pre-gen and fix the suspension, you still have an engine that is too peaky and won't serve you as well in the twisties. You really need to have some general idea of what type of riding you want to do before you can really choose between the two. If you don't know exactly what type of riding you think you are going to enjoy, then Kelly gives the best path to your first bike. Ride the heck out of the better of the two pre-gens and develop your skills; then in a year or two, you will know what you are looking for in a bike, as you get ready to make that next purchase.
Oh... I didn't know all that about the pre gens tbh.

The main types of riding I'll be doing is commuting, and pleasure riding, which I *do* want to do twisties..

So.. the pre gens are no good with the suspension/peaky engine? I had no idea..

Old March 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #11
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekkakat View Post
Oh... I didn't know all that about the pre gens tbh.

The main types of riding I'll be doing is commuting, and pleasure riding, which I *do* want to do twisties..

So.. the pre gens are no good with the suspension/peaky engine? I had no idea..
Well, since you have no experience with pre-gen Ninjas, maybe you don't even need suspension and won't have problem with the power band of the engine output.

Don't let others tell you what you need to do to your ride until you actually get to ride it and find out for yourself what you might need.

If this is your first motorcycle ever, I would not waste your money on a brand new machine. Keep it under $2000 and you will likely make most if not all of your money back when you're ready to upgrade to something else.

Old March 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #12
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. The pre-gen is a phenomenal motorcycle. The fact that Kawasaki didn't update it for years and still sold them like hotcakes is testament to that.

The pre-gen is going to be a bit faster in a straight line, and it can be made to handle like the new-gen, but it will cost money and either labor from you or more money for someone else to install the new suspension. As far as the power-band is concerned, the newer gen will have more pull out of corners and will generally yield better results with less effort on curvy roads out of the box, no mods. If you plan to keep the bike a while then maybe a new-gen is what you want. If you just want to learn how to ride a motorcycle well, before worrying about things like performance riding, then go with the pre-gen. You can't go wrong with either bike. Check out this thread for more information between the two bikes.

Old March 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #13
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

The new gen is a better looking bike, and being newer, it will sell for more $$, when you're moving up. Besides, you have full warranty on a new bike, and possibly less costs for maintenance items. If money is tight, buy a pre-gen, otherwise buy new.

BTW, you don't have to drop your first bike, it's highly optional.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
BTW, you don't have to drop your first bike, it's highly optional.
yet over 50% do within the first year.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25913&
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #15
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yep. My bike has been down once. My dad decided to move it because I parked in the garage in a spot he needed and then went to work. He didn't realize it weighs 300+ lbs and dropped it in the garage. Way to go dad.

And peaky engine that can't perform in the twisties?! pssh
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 01:45 AM   #16
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

@ Mekkakat:

It seems you have a decent foundation laid down. I am assuming you learned the basic skills of riding with a 250 at the BRC (MSF) and have since been riding on what ever size your parent's HDs are. Now, I can't tell you which one you should choose out of the four options you have to select from, but I can tell you that you should look at all of them and then determine which one fits into your budget and desires the most.

I too was struggling to decide on my first 250. However, my situation was a little different. I knew exactly what I wanted, but I was just having problems finding what I wanted for the price and condition that I wanted it to be. After about 2.5 to 3 months of searching and dealing with both dealers and private sellers, I ended up finding and purchasing the 250 I wanted (SLIME-R). Now, I did end up having to pay a couple hundred more than what I initially wanted to pay for her, but I wasn't going to get a better deal any where else, especially with the rising gas prices and improving weather. I can tell you right now, that I haven't thought about the extra money I ended up spending one bit! I am as happy as can be and enjoying every second of owning exactly what I wanted.

It's true that none of us can predict if we are going to be misfortunate and end up dropping or having an accident on our motorcycles. However, I believe that if you use your head and keep improving your riding skills, then there shouldn't be a reason why you yourself are the cause of such an incident. Of course, this is why it is important to be able to afford great insurance and great protective gear, that way you, your gear, and your motorcycle are covered.

I wish you all the best and remember to just choose what you know is best for you both personally and financially.

Old March 21st, 2011, 05:07 AM   #17
Error_mage
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold), 2001 Suzuki SV 650S

Guess most people face similar choices when looking for their first 250 =)

I think the pre gen’s are probably the best ‘bang for the buck’, especially since you won’t lose a lot on the resale and won’t face the soul tearing anguish of getting the first little scratch on your bike; also I wouldn’t worry about dropping the bike too much, either you get lucky or you don’t, it seems to be a 50/50 chance so just cross your fingers and be cautious.

Personally I love the looks of the new gen too much to go with pre gen, but that’s just me. With a new bike you can also make sure that break-in is done right, on the other hand that can be a bit of a pain as well. All of the deals you mention seem to be good choices, so I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Old March 21st, 2011, 05:18 AM   #18
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

well thank you guys, you're all very helpful!

Old March 21st, 2011, 05:41 AM   #19
"A"
vampire

Cool

No relations, but here looks like a good deal:

2007 Kawasaki EX 250 - $1500

2007 Kawasaki EX 250 - $1500 (West Chester)
Date: 2011-03-18, 12:00PM EDT
Reply to: sale-r4wnb-2272324666@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

This motorcycle was purchase new in 2008. It has 6300 miles.I installed a Shad trunk. This trunk is large enough to store your helmet and more. Gets 70 miles to the gallon or better. If interested call Steve at 4846783871.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2272324666

Old March 21st, 2011, 05:44 AM   #20
"A"
vampire

Cool

For $1000 more than above:

2008 Ninja 250R - $2500 (Ardmore, Pa)

Date: 2011-03-20, 5:40PM EDT
Reply to: sale-pxz6f-2276421072@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

2008 Ninja 250R in Black. The bike is Garage kept and has never been dropped. This bike is in brand new condition with only 1,006 miles and asking $2,500 (bank check only). Local pick up only. Free black XL helmet and bike cover too

PostingID: 2276421072

Old March 21st, 2011, 05:46 AM   #21
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
No relations, but here looks like a good deal:

2007 Kawasaki EX 250 - $1500

2007 Kawasaki EX 250 - $1500 (West Chester)
Date: 2011-03-18, 12:00PM EDT
Reply to: sale-r4wnb-2272324666@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

This motorcycle was purchase new in 2008. It has 6300 miles.I installed a Shad trunk. This trunk is large enough to store your helmet and more. Gets 70 miles to the gallon or better. If interested call Steve at 4846783871.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2272324666
I wish I lived closer :/

Old March 21st, 2011, 05:48 AM   #22
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
For $1000 more than above:

2008 Ninja 250R - $2500 (Ardmore, Pa)

Date: 2011-03-20, 5:40PM EDT
Reply to: sale-pxz6f-2276421072@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

2008 Ninja 250R in Black. The bike is Garage kept and has never been dropped. This bike is in brand new condition with only 1,006 miles and asking $2,500 (bank check only). Local pick up only. Free black XL helmet and bike cover too

PostingID: 2276421072
These are both great finds A, but I'm almost 6 hours away and have no way to get a bike that far without spending money I don't have :/

Thank you so much for the look out though

Old March 21st, 2011, 06:18 AM   #23
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

'05 or '06 definitely. These are fine bikes, should be no problems. You keep it for a year or two, learn on it, then sell it for what you paid, when you move up to something else as everyone does. Your first bike will not be your last, and you undoubtedly will get another one, "just because". The older ones will initially cost much less, cost less to insure, will not be so much mental trauma when they get dropped/scratched (as all newbies do during the learning curve). They are just as reliable, maybe even more so than the 2010-11 models, and unless you look closely and know the minor differences in bodywork (just to set the newer ones off as a selling point), there is really very little difference in these. Don't waste your money on a new bike for $1500-2000 more than used. You will lose that in a year selling the 2011. Spend the money on gear - armored winter and summer jackets, gloves, boots, hot and cold weather riding pants, full-faced helmet. And don't go crazy modding your first bike, it really runs perfectly fine the way it is. You never get your money out of "performance" mods, nobody really wants a bike that's been messed with and may never be "right". You want more powerful or faster or whatever? That's why you move up to a bigger bike when you're done with this one in a year or so. Go for the used ones. Try and weasel and bargain the prices down a few hundred bucks, they are a little high. I bought a pristine 2006 Ninja a little over a year ago on eBay for $1600, had to travel a little for it, but it was worth it.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM   #24
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
'05 or '06 definitely. These are fine bikes, should be no problems. You keep it for a year or two, learn on it, then sell it for what you paid, when you move up to something else as everyone does. Your first bike will not be your last, and you undoubtedly will get another one, "just because". The older ones will initially cost much less, cost less to insure, will not be so much mental trauma when they get dropped/scratched (as all newbies do during the learning curve). They are just as reliable, maybe even more so than the 2010-11 models, and unless you look closely and know the minor differences in bodywork (just to set the newer ones off as a selling point), there is really very little difference in these. Don't waste your money on a new bike for $1500-2000 more than used. You will lose that in a year selling the 2011. Spend the money on gear - armored winter and summer jackets, gloves, boots, hot and cold weather riding pants, full-faced helmet. And don't go crazy modding your first bike, it really runs perfectly fine the way it is. You never get your money out of "performance" mods, nobody really wants a bike that's been messed with and may never be "right". You want more powerful or faster or whatever? That's why you move up to a bigger bike when you're done with this one in a year or so. Go for the used ones.

Very well said, and all points that bobble in my mind over and over again.

I had my heart set on the new gen's styling, but I'm getting more and more sold on just starting out as affordably as possible. I have 2 helmets, a jacket, gloves, and now all I need is pants and boots, so I need to watch my cashola.

Thanks again guys.

Old March 21st, 2011, 06:30 AM   #25
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Only one more thing to mention - other than inquiring about and seeing the documentation for the maintenance, like oil changes, valve checks, routine things - be aware that the tires on those used bikes are 5-6 years old (check the date stamp on the sidewall for the week and year of manufacture), and use that to bargain down the price. You should probably get new tires on at least the '05 as with age tires get brittle and slippery and lose their grip, despite how much tread appears on them.

Another thing - those older bikes have a centerstand, which is really a nice thing to have.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 06:33 AM   #26
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Awesome, will do. I was definitely going to try and haggle a bit with them, that's for sure.

Old March 21st, 2011, 06:54 AM   #27
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

One thing to remember is this: Your first bike will by no means be your only bike to own, ever. Most people either sell their first bike when they decide riding isn't for them, or sell their first bike to buy their second bike, etc, etc. With this in mind, my inclination is to get the cheapest bike that's in good mechanical shape so you can focus on learning how to ride in the real world without worrying about breaking down or losing $1,000 in plastics because of a mistake.

Personally I recommend the pregen for the simple reason that they're easy to wrench on (highly recommend learning to do your own maintenance unless you've got deep pockets) and still fairly common. Don't worry about peak power, torque curves, ability to go 2/10ths faster at the race track. You're riding on the street, not the track.

I've been riding for 24 months now and still rarely ever use full throttle on my stock '06. I ride in daily traffic including more than half interstate freeway, and I rode it to Georgia last fall, 824 miles in one day, no problems, doing 80+ most of the way.

The Ninja is a good bike to start on. With low power at low RPMs but enough power at higher RPMs to get arrested in all 50 states plus the District of Columbia it is plenty fast enough, without all the twitchy handling and power characteristics of the newer larger bikes. Forgiving, that's the word. The new 600s are not forgiving and will kill you for the slightest mistake.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 07:02 AM   #28
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
One thing to remember is this: Your first bike will by no means be your only bike to own, ever. Most people either sell their first bike when they decide riding isn't for them, or sell their first bike to buy their second bike, etc, etc. With this in mind, my inclination is to get the cheapest bike that's in good mechanical shape so you can focus on learning how to ride in the real world without worrying about breaking down or losing $1,000 in plastics because of a mistake.

Personally I recommend the pregen for the simple reason that they're easy to wrench on (highly recommend learning to do your own maintenance unless you've got deep pockets) and still fairly common. Don't worry about peak power, torque curves, ability to go 2/10ths faster at the race track. You're riding on the street, not the track.

I've been riding for 24 months now and still rarely ever use full throttle on my stock '06. I ride in daily traffic including more than half interstate freeway, and I rode it to Georgia last fall, 824 miles in one day, no problems, doing 80+ most of the way.

The Ninja is a good bike to start on. With low power at low RPMs but enough power at higher RPMs to get arrested in all 50 states plus the District of Columbia it is plenty fast enough, without all the twitchy handling and power characteristics of the newer larger bikes. Forgiving, that's the word. The new 600s are not forgiving and will kill you for the slightest mistake.
Very helpful advice dealing with the power/drive of the bike, thank you.

Honestly folks, I'm not looking to go fast, just fast *enough*

I really just enjoy riding in curvy places and getting to practice right now. Maybe speed will be my thing later, but I just like the hobby in it's most pure form right now.

I can't thank all of you enough for helping me make a more confident choice though.

A lot of you have really helped me in trusting the bike I've always liked (I've always been a fan of the original Ninja), and those that like the new gen... well.. I like that too! (mean looking bike >)

I think my first bike will almost 100% be one of the pre gens. Thanks again everyone.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:29 PM   #29
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekkakat View Post
So I'm pretty new to the forums in terms of being a member finally, but I wanted some second and third opinions on what could be a good deal on my first motorcycle/ninja.

1. A new-old-stock 10' new gen for $3,400

4. Or just a new, 11' SE White new gen

What do you guys think I should do? I'm done with my MSF, did really well, and I've been riding my parents Harleys for a while now, and I really think I'm ready. (Geesh, at 22, I should be ready haha). Any input is greatly appreciated!
So you chose the model, now choose your color, silver or black, 05 or 06. You'll love this bike with NO "upgrades" as your first ride. Guaranteed. Welcome!
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote