ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1
bbjminardo
ninjette.org member

Name: Minardo

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Black Ninja 250r

Question Flush Mount Turn Signal Options - Need Advice

I just bought my 250 and I'm wanting to do some little inexpensive mods to it.
I was thinking at first the turn signals and led lights and stuff were just a waste but I actually accidentally saw a pair of these flush mount led turn signals on a bike and fell in love and I figured if I ever dropped the bike they wouldn't just snap of like the stock ones so I started looking some up and found this site called http://modmy250.com/LP.html and they have everything that I'm looking for but the flush mounts were $56.99 a little pricey but no big deal but I looked them up and ebay and the exact same pair is $22 including shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUSH-MOUNT-...1b367f&vxp=mtr

So I'm leaning towards the ebay ones but the $56 dollar ones say:
These are Plug and play LED Flushmount turn signals for the Ninja 250R. I make these as full plug and play kits to make install as easy and smooth as possible. Each kit includes an extension already installed as well as a new washer and nut. Each kit is also crafted using the correct soldering techniques, heatshrink, and uses OEM turn signal connectors to make them truly plug and play. An electronic relay is necessary to keep them functioning properly. Electronic Flasher Relays are sold separately.
Note:If you are installing integrated tail lights or rear LED turn signals, you will also want to install diodes to keep them from blinking all 4 lights at the same time. Please see below for my No-Cut Diode Kit!

***Note: An electronic flasher relay is required when replacing stock turn signals with LED turn signals. Please see below to add a Plug & Play Electronic Flasher to your order***

So everything is done to those that needs to be done to just plug in and start working except for the relay which I'm not too sure how everything works but what would I have to do to the cheap ebay ones to get them working? Is the cheaper price worth doing the extra work?
Well I'm thinking for me the extra work is fine just how much work and what exactly would I have to do is my main question.

Thank you and hopefully some people have some experience with these and can point me in the right direction and instructions to install the ebay ones.

I feel like I should just be able to use the same wiring like this guy in the beginning but because the new turn signals are LED does that make me have to rewire everything? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmLQw52Vrvg
bbjminardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

The lights on modmy250 also require the relay install which is as simple as grab the other relay, unplug it, and plug a new one in. It's very easy and even my "I can't wrench anything to save my life" butt could do it. That having been said - I would get the lights from Tri, the owner of modmy250. He's a decently active member on this forum and is impressively helpful and easy to deal with. He will make your install as easy as possible and can provide instructions and how to do it. I have his rear signals so I can confirm that he uses quality parts and they're worth the extra coin.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #3
bbjminardo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
The lights on modmy250 also require the relay install which is as simple as grab the other relay, unplug it, and plug a new one in. It's very easy and even my "I can't wrench anything to save my life" butt could do it. That having been said - I would get the lights from Tri, the owner of modmy250. He's a decently active member on this forum and is impressively helpful and easy to deal with. He will make your install as easy as possible and can provide instructions and how to do it. I have his rear signals so I can confirm that he uses quality parts and they're worth the extra coin.
Yea it seems like he does make everything super easy and will defiantly be buying that Rear Integrated LED Tail Light and relay but the turn signals it seems like I could get for a much better price just a little extra work.

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
A lot of eBay blinker are cheap and price and cheaply made but more importantly some just are not bright enough to be worth a damn. I've seen a lot out there where the rider should have saved their $25 and go e without them because you just can't see them during the day. I would have gone with Tri's flush mounts but I'm not a fan of the triangle shape so I bought used protons instead.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #6
sousuke86
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

If you're trying to be cheap you can always mod your stock ones for free

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...s-fo-free.html
sousuke86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #7
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Here's the difference between mine and the ebay:

Mine:
Plug and play- What's that mean? It means I get a set of those same ebay signals. They come with bullet connectors and about 9" of wire. The threaded hollow plastic rod that the wires come from are too short to mount directly to the fairing. I take 2 plastic/vinyl spacers and tap them on both ends to match the threads on the blinkers. Install the spacer and the piece I cut off earlier. Once that's done, I add another 13"-14" of wiring and using heat shrink along the way. Finally, I install brand new OEM style connectors. Repeat again for the other turn signal.

What you can do is make your own extension, provided you have the correct thread tapper, then cut off your turn signal harnesses and solder the old wire to the new.

Now, assuming you don't have the correct thread tap, or a tapping tool at all, you could always try to find a correctly tapped extension that's made from steel. Those generally run $6-$7. You'll need two of those. Good luck finding them too. I've never seen them at lowe's or home depot. You'll also need a dremel with a cutting disc to cut off the section of the threaded rod.

I'm not trying to deter you from making your own. Heck, I just gave you instructions on how to do it. If you have the time and tools, go for it. It probably will take you a couple hours to do it if you are handy with tools and know what you're doing.

As far as the relay goes, if you click on the DIY link on my website, there should like a video that shows you where the relay is and how to replace it. Alternatively, you can go here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76116

You can pick up the tridon relay at autozone, but you'll need to fashion a ground wire for it. I've since began selling a plug and play relay, so that tutorial is only good to show you the location of the oem relay. My new relays don't require any extra work. Just unplug the oem one and plug in the new one.

In the end, I guess it all depends on how much your time is worth Spend a few extra bucks for a job that will take less time than it does to pull off your fairings or spend a couple hours to save those few bucks.

Good luck!

Old February 19th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #8
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Hey @CThunder-blue

How about a group buy for the flush mounts and CustomLED tail lights?
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #9
bbjminardo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Here's the difference between mine and the ebay:

Mine:
Plug and play- What's that mean? It means I get a set of those same ebay signals. They come with bullet connectors and about 9" of wire. The threaded hollow plastic rod that the wires come from are too short to mount directly to the fairing. I take 2 plastic/vinyl spacers and tap them on both ends to match the threads on the blinkers. Install the spacer and the piece I cut off earlier. Once that's done, I add another 13"-14" of wiring and using heat shrink along the way. Finally, I install brand new OEM style connectors. Repeat again for the other turn signal.

What you can do is make your own extension, provided you have the correct thread tapper, then cut off your turn signal harnesses and solder the old wire to the new.

Now, assuming you don't have the correct thread tap, or a tapping tool at all, you could always try to find a correctly tapped extension that's made from steel. Those generally run $6-$7. You'll need two of those. Good luck finding them too. I've never seen them at lowe's or home depot. You'll also need a dremel with a cutting disc to cut off the section of the threaded rod.

I'm not trying to deter you from making your own. Heck, I just gave you instructions on how to do it. If you have the time and tools, go for it. It probably will take you a couple hours to do it if you are handy with tools and know what you're doing.

As far as the relay goes, if you click on the DIY link on my website, there should like a video that shows you where the relay is and how to replace it. Alternatively, you can go here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76116

You can pick up the tridon relay at autozone, but you'll need to fashion a ground wire for it. I've since began selling a plug and play relay, so that tutorial is only good to show you the location of the oem relay. My new relays don't require any extra work. Just unplug the oem one and plug in the new one.

In the end, I guess it all depends on how much your time is worth Spend a few extra bucks for a job that will take less time than it does to pull off your fairings or spend a couple hours to save those few bucks.

Good luck!
Gotcha man thanks!

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfresh View Post
Hey @CThunder-blue

How about a group buy for the flush mounts and CustomLED tail lights?
I could do a combo group buy. I'm limited by my dealer contract on the discounts I can give for the customled integrated light, but I can hook you up on the other stuff.

Just off the top of my head, the sale would be:

Package deal:
CustomLed integrated tail light -$106
Front flushmounts - $45
Diode kit- $10
Relay- $12
Ninjettes.org decals- free

Total cost- $173 free priority shipping

How's that sound?

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #11
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Sounds pretty dang awesome. I would hop on that immediately.

How many you need to get a group buy going?

Quote:
I could do a combo group buy. I'm limited by my dealer contract on the discounts I can give for the customled integrated light, but I can hook you up on the other stuff.

Just off the top of my head, the sale would be:

Package deal:
CustomLed integrated tail light -$106
Front flushmounts - $45
Diode kit- $10
Relay- $12
Ninjettes.org decals- free

Total cost- $173 free priority shipping

How's that sound?

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #12
KillerTofu
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I ordered the ZX-2R decals from Tri...not related but...they're awesome...just throwing that out there lol

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #13
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfresh View Post

Sounds pretty dang awesome. I would hop on that immediately.

How many you need to get a group buy going?
Minimum of 5. I'll post up in the classifieds.

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #14
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Quote:
Minimum of 5. I'll post up in the classifieds.
Sounds good!

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #15
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...460#post639460