ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 25th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Treyzian
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Buying a New Bike, Possible Issues

Hey guys, please move this thread if it's in the wrong section.

I just sold my 250 and I'm looking to move to a 600.

There's this 07 CBR600RR with 9500 miles that's for sale, and I went to test ride it today. I'm mechanically inclined, but more towards cars than bikes.

The only thing that threw a warning sign in my head was, whenever the bike is at a complete stand still, it jerks hard when shifting from neutral to 1st (even though the clutch is completely disengaged). Is that an issue?

Also, about how much do you guys think I should pay for this bike (reasonably)? It's been dropped at a low speed (parking lot), but there seems to only be a little cosmetic damage.

Also, are there any major maintenance issues I would need to address with it being at almost 10k miles?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Treyzian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyzian View Post
.............The only thing that threw a warning sign in my head was, whenever the bike is at a complete stand still, it jerks hard when shifting from neutral to 1st (even though the clutch is completely disengaged). Is that an issue?......
That could be simple (poor adjustment of the cable that commands the clutch / too much slack in chain) or moderately complicated (warped discs that need replacement).
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

You mean when you're shifting from Neutral to 1st - the bike drops into 1st with a thunk? It seems pretty normal between the 3 600RRs I've tried - definitely more pronounced than the ninjette. Also a lot harder on the 600 to hit the neutral on the way up to 2nd

Pre-purchase inspection from a reputable shop?
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #4
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

You check with the guys on http://www.600rr.net/

I rode a friends 2008 CBR 600 and I remember the N to 1st being a bit harsh as well.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
A 600 is way too much bike for someone with only 10 posts.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 25th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

4 - 4.5 k for a 07 if it's been dropped and has cosmetic damage.

You'll want to check the brake pads, hoses, chain, tires, fork seals, the usual suspects. If the brake hoses haven't been changed you'll probably want to replace those. The maintenance interval is 16K so you'll have to get the valves checked then.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #7
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

in los angeles an 07 with minor scratches at that low mileage will go for for at least $5k...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #8
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

You might get it for 4.5k in the winter... but an 07 in decent condition is probably going to go for north of 5k. First gear is a little rough on my F4i too, not as bad as 1st to 2nd though lol. If it doesn't feel unnaturally harsh I wouldn't worry about it. 15k mile maintenance intervals are a nice thing about buying a CBR with less mileage than that. Other than that just check the basic stuff that's been listed above.. I want to say an 07 isn't that old but it's actually like 7 years old lol.

As far as brake lines go, they're probably fine unless it really hasn't been taken care of. Sure you might not have absolutely superb feedback from the brakes but that's not going to make the bike unrideable. It's still going to blow away the 250s brakes by far. I have old lines, cheeeeaaaaaap brake pads AND warped rotors on my F4i and it stops fine, shoot I've even done a track day with it.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Teh_K
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2008 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600

If the bike/oil was not warmed up to normal temperature, then the thickness of the oil will transmit some force thru the final drive, even with the clutch pulled in, and even with a properly-adjusted clutch. When the oil is hot, this still happens - just to a lot lesser extent.

The condition of the chain will also affect the clunk of going from N->1. If it's loose and floppy (i.e. not adjusted), or if it is worn/elongated, then it might make a louder clacking sound, and/or surge, as the final drive loads the rear wheel.

I think most 600's/1000's do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
A 600 is way too much bike for someone with only 10 posts.
Post count does not always correlate to riding experience.
Teh_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #10
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

i know cc...son you don't know cc...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.