ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old March 1st, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
The last year of my life made NBC

Sorry, completely off topic, but for the last year I've been working on rewriting my company's product from the ground up to be cross platform. Today we launched our open beta for Mac OS X and it hit the news.
I know there's a few gamers here so it may be of interest

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/in-game/51009505/#51009505

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3178669

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by Yakaru; March 1st, 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added the video inline, cause it's hilarious.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2
mlj2093
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawi 250 SE

so... hold the phone..

You run Riot Games?! Am I understanding this correctly?
mlj2093 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I'm Lead Gameplay Engineer

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:06 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
wow, no ****! that's pretty awesome. i'm an engineer at playdek games. we used to be THQ a long time ago, but... well... hah.

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
wow, no ****! that's pretty awesome. i'm an engineer at playdek games. we used to be THQ a long time ago, but... well... hah.
Oh wow, you guys have computerized some of my favorite board games Nice!

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:12 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if you like boardgames, our upcoming lineup should be worth looking out for. i couldn't tell you how much time i've spent on LoL. i had to intervene on myself after a certain level of addiction. glad to hear about your restructure. having fun with obj-c yet?

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
if you like boardgames, our upcoming lineup should be worth looking out for. i couldn't tell you how much time i've spent on LoL. i had to intervene on myself after a certain level of addiction. glad to hear about your restructure. having fun with obj-c yet?
Yep, but obviously most of the game is still in C++, obj-c is mostly just our interface layer.

Looking forward to it

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:22 PM   #8
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Holly $hit we have super gaming nerds on ninjette's I bow to thee
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:24 PM   #9
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Interesting motorcycle-related League trivia: Originally Ziggs was supposed to be a Yordle-on-a-bike with a side car full of explosives.

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I'm playing LoL right now...... hook it up with riot points! :P
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
I'm playing LoL right now...... hook it up with riot points! :P
I have a limited # of RP to give to friends and such; but if @Alex is cool with it we can have a contest and I'll 'pick someone from a hat'.

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:48 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
So now that your source tree is platform agnostic does that mean I get to play LoL on my android? Java's not so bad I promise!

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:54 PM   #13
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
So now that your source tree is platform agnostic does that mean I get to play LoL on my android? Java's not so bad I promise!
hahaha, well it is still 'native' compiles, not Java VMs
Basically the structure is such that to support a new platform we'd just have to make a compatibility layer -- not trivial, but it's nicely segmented. I don't think your android is a contendor, but there's definitely a vocal Linux segment. If they'll get a port or not and how fast I can't say -- my role in that is done and such a port would fall to our engine-side guys.

Old March 1st, 2013, 07:00 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Well, android ndk lets you compile native libraries to be called from java using jni but now you can actually just inherit from a helper class Google provides so you don't even really have to touch java... It's surprisingly easy. But it's probably for the better without. Having such easy access would probably not be good for my productivity.

Old March 1st, 2013, 07:25 PM   #15
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Very cool.

I took a computer programming course in high school and attempted to make a game of checkers for my project. Could never get the red checker to jump over the black checker. Meanwhile, the super nerds beside me were programming some crazy wheel of fortune game. Safe to say, that was the last programming course I took. The closest I get to claiming nerd status is my comic book collection from younger that I still keep in protective plastic sleeves.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 07:50 PM   #16
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

For some reason this thought crossed my mind earlier this afternoon. If LoL is free and I see...no advertising; then where does its revenue come from? Selling RP?
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:01 PM   #17
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
For some reason this thought crossed my mind earlier this afternoon. If LoL is free and I see...no advertising; then where does its revenue come from? Selling RP?
Effectively, yes. We have two currencies in the game -- "IP" and "RP". IP you get for playing, RP you have to pay real money for. IP is how you buy things that give you 'power' (e.g. "runes", which let you customize some stats to your playstyle). RP is how you buy things that are convenience features (more 'rune pages' so you can quickly switch between said stat combinations), or cosmetic features (skins, which change how your character looks).

Our focus on not selling power has been a great decision: it buys a lot of good will in the community that you can't pay to win, and actually causes a lot of people to buy stuff just as a 'thank you'.

Old March 1st, 2013, 09:04 PM   #18
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

friend just gifted me a copy of dota 2 but i suck so bad at all those tower defense games. LoL included. such a hard learning curve
ADoMinGu3z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 09:35 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
I have a limited # of RP to give to friends and such; but if @Alex is cool with it we can have a contest and I'll 'pick someone from a hat'.
Bring it on.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 11:06 PM   #20
NewbieNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Yue Pheng

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r, 2009 Suzuki GSX-R750

Wow, sounds like the dream job.
NewbieNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:20 AM   #21
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieNinja View Post
Wow, sounds like the dream job.
It can be. It can also be hellish -- 80 hour work weeks aren't uncommon in the games industry. The saying I give to students who've talked to me about getting in is that it is a work-hard, play-hard situation. You have a lot of fun but you also have a lot of miserable moments. Still, there's nothing quite like shipping a game and reading happy player's responses I don't think I'd get the same joy out of writing a database backend as I do out of watching kids smile... Does that sound as cheesy as I'm scared it might?

Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:40 AM   #22
mlj2093
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawi 250 SE

Quote:
Our focus on not selling power has been a great decision.
This is one of favorite aspects of LoL. There are to many free to play, pay to win games out there. I heard that there is a LoL TD game out for iPhone?! Any chance that can makes its way to android? TD games are my jam. Also when I was deciding my major It was a toss up between Computer Science (for to become teh gaming engineer) or Mech Engineering. In the end Mech won out. But it would be awesome to do what you do 80 hour work weeks be damned. You let me know if you ever need a tester.
mlj2093 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:25 AM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
It can be. It can also be hellish -- 80 hour work weeks aren't uncommon in the games industry. The saying I give to students who've talked to me about getting in is that it is a work-hard, play-hard situation. You have a lot of fun but you also have a lot of miserable moments. Still, there's nothing quite like shipping a game and reading happy player's responses I don't think I'd get the same joy out of writing a database backend as I do out of watching kids smile... Does that sound as cheesy as I'm scared it might?
ugh. so true. why can't kids enjoy databases more!

Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:18 PM   #24
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

When you said that one of the games you played was "my game, league of legends" in that other thread a few days ago I just though you meant that it was like, your favorite game, not that it was YOUR GAME.

That's awesome. The reason why I got a computer science degree originally was because I wanted to make games. Then I found out that game programming is like less than a percent of what most CS degree holders do and didn't even bother trying to pursue a career in it since I heard it was so competitive.

Ended up selling out to the man, now I program web applications in coldfusion and monitor servers for a power utility lol

Congratulations on your game though, that's a huge achievement. If you ever need to take on another programmer who's lacking experience in the game design field but would totally make up for it with enthusiasm and his warped sense of humor, you know who to call

As proof of ability, I mayyy be able to send some screen shots of my capstone project in game programming called "Ultra Quest"
YamiLionheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:11 PM   #25
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
You're the guy who always gets bribed in crime movies! to put a virus in the power grid or else they'll shoot your mom in florida!

Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:05 PM   #26
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
ugh. so true. why can't kids enjoy databases more!
Hey! I write financial software and deal with our databases, I do it for the joy it brings me, the joy of money

I've always wondered what the typical Ninjetter does for a job, seems like we've got a lot of software guys.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:41 PM   #27
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Wow that is a cool job. So many of my friends are addicted to that game too.
Great job bringing the game cross platform!
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:09 PM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
I've always wondered what the typical Ninjetter does for a job, seems like we've got a lot of software guys.
What Do You All Do to Support Your Habit?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:17 PM   #29
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiLionheart View Post
When you said that one of the games you played was "my game, league of legends" in that other thread a few days ago I just though you meant that it was like, your favorite game, not that it was YOUR GAME.

That's awesome. The reason why I got a computer science degree originally was because I wanted to make games. Then I found out that game programming is like less than a percent of what most CS degree holders do and didn't even bother trying to pursue a career in it since I heard it was so competitive.

Ended up selling out to the man, now I program web applications in coldfusion and monitor servers for a power utility lol

Congratulations on your game though, that's a huge achievement. If you ever need to take on another programmer who's lacking experience in the game design field but would totally make up for it with enthusiasm and his warped sense of humor, you know who to call

As proof of ability, I mayyy be able to send some screen shots of my capstone project in game programming called "Ultra Quest"
Heh, thanks for the compliments; I'll keep it in mind but we're full up on associate level engineers.

If you play please feel free to sign up for some free Riot Points, I'll be giving a gift next month to a random poster in this thread: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125231

Old March 4th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #30
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Raygan

Motorcycle(s): White 2013 Ninja 300(Storm), Silver 2003 Fjr1300

Hmm I might try LoL now. I thought about playing when Athene started focusing on it but I just stuck to WoW.
S1att3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #31
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

You know, you're responsible for contributing to the [color] deficiency of [our lanfest] minors, right? Not to mention personal hygiene...
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #32
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
You know, you're responsible for contributing to the [color] deficiency of [our lanfest] minors, right? Not to mention personal hygiene...
hahaha, most fans I've met have actually been quite nice and decently sanitary.

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #33
Dozer
ninjette.org member

Name: CarL

Motorcycle(s): 2010 EX250, 2012 ZX-6R

Cheesy? Completee opposite

Quote:
RESPECT

I was once asked what I thought heaven was like...
I saw asphalt, I saw twisties, then I saw me on my bike.
Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #34
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Wow, congratulations! That's super cool.

One of my friends has been trying to get me to play this with her. Maybe I'll give it a go now.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #35
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
hahaha, most fans I've met have actually been quite nice and decently sanitary.
Speaking of which, does Riot do promotional stuff for lanfests? Ours is coming up.

http://www.facebook.com/SACLANFest?ref=ts&fref=ts
https://lanfest.intel.com/events/sac...ring-2013/main

Old March 8th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #36
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
Speaking of which, does Riot do promotional stuff for lanfests? Ours is coming up.

http://www.facebook.com/SACLANFest?ref=ts&fref=ts
https://lanfest.intel.com/events/sac...ring-2013/main
Honestly I don't know

Old March 8th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #37
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Honestly I don't know
Fair enough.

Old April 1st, 2013, 04:28 PM   #38
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
not as cool as NBC, but my company made the local paper... LOL
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...mm-and-others/

Old April 17th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #39
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I want both of you to list every game project you've worked on so I can critique your work and tell you where you failed me.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #40
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
not as cool as NBC, but my company made the local paper... LOL
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...mm-and-others/
You're definitely not cool enough to work for playdek. Must be qualcomm then?