Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Name: Malinda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

New with sore butt

Ok, I thought the title would get some attention

My bike is 5 days old, for the first 3 days, the bones on my bottom were sore - kinda like breaking in a bicycle again. Is this normal? Am I riding wrong?
Yesterday was the first day it was feeling better and we were able to get a few nice rides in, then we had to make a detour down a bumpy road and then - I got a sore butt again. Before I got my 250R, I rode my husbands Honda for a few days and did not have any problems and all I rode on were bumpy roads, I don't understand. I read thru the suspension section on wiki and I don't think I want to make it any harder, but I could be wrong. Any ideas?
userjh160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
New seat, the stock one is made of wood
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Hurts so good! You'll get used to it.

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #4
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Great title!! I did a double take on it

As for your cheeks, try standing up periodically to help blood flow, and standing up over bumps nd stuff as well. Might seem dumb riding a ninja like a klx, but it works for my posterior comfort level when I'm riding all day
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #5
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Haha the new-gen seat is terrible! So is the pre-gen one, especially for someone my height. I think my ass is finally getting used to it. I just did 320+ miles today and was in a lot less pain/sore than normal.

The Corbin seats look nice.

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kn250r8f.shtml
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #6
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

OMG!!! Made of wood????? Well that explains it. My husband said I should look into a new seat, but it was getting better till the dreaded. . . . bumpy road.

I thought with a cleaver subject I could catch some takers -- and it worked
I can be sneaky, so watch out. But I do appreciate the advice or shall I say my bottom thanks you.

I guess with just starting out I didn't think of stopping and standing a bit, I am having too much fun and I just didn't want to stop.

320+ miles???? Dirty Nasty -- it is gonna be a while, oh it just hurts thinking of that many miles right now.

Old July 25th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

I find that there is "growing pains" with anything that has two wheels. For BMX bikes it was my wrists. For motocross it was my whole body haha. For the street bike it has been my really long legs, bad knees and love for motorcycles that are designed for jockeys, not lanky goofballs like myself. Lately the pains in my knees have been getting a lot lighter. I think I'm merely adjusting. Although my left knee does feel blasted to all hell sometimes.

Old July 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #8
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

For real long rides you might also want to look into padded bicycle underwear, helps throw some padding on the bones without changing the bike. I use them when ever I take my bike on a long haul. Also use your legs a little more creating a couple inch gap between your arse and seat when on rough sections of the road, side benefit it will stop the bike from trying to buck you.
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #9
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

I went out for a short ride today and did use my legs to raise me and it helped. I just don't know how hot it would be with shorts under jeans right now, but if I get desperate, I may give it a shot, thank you for the advice I really appreciate all the help.

Dirty Nasty I can relate to your knee problems, I have had 4 knee surgeries myself and they do act up when I abuse them.

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions, I really do appreciate all the help and I will try them to see what works for me. But something good has come out of this, I have officially named my bike: . . . . . . . HARDASS!

Old July 26th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #10
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

I frequently stand on the footpegs. And sometimes, I use the passenger footpegs when my knees start hurting.
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i put a little bit of weight on my pegs. also move my butt around a lot. helps with the monkey butt

Old July 26th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #12
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirubhaiambani View Post
I frequently stand on the footpegs. And sometimes, I use the passenger footpegs when my knees start hurting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Great title!! I did a double take on it

As for your cheeks, try standing up periodically to help blood flow, and standing up over bumps nd stuff as well. Might seem dumb riding a ninja like a klx, but it works for my posterior comfort level when I'm riding all day
Posted via Mobile Device
I recently was "told off" by the campus pigs (sorry I just effin' hate ours) for standing up on my pegs while I went over about 4 speed bumps. popo pulls me over and starts chastising me for "stunting"...I tell him I wasn't stunting, but looking out for my ass (not stated as so )...anyway, I still do it and it's also good for when my balls get into a tight knot when wearing jeans.

Old July 26th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #13
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Well I don't know if I am ready for standing yet. We went out for a ride this evening and I almost lost it big time. This huge gust of wind came out from the side, next thing I know I am blown off the road going towards the ditch and somehow (I don't know what happened) I ended back on the road again. I felt bad b/c we just got out chatterbox in our helmets and were trying them out and everyone heard me scream. I didn't know I what I was supposed to do, until we pulled over and my husband was telling me I should have corrected. Guess I need more experience. I thought I was getting the hang of things and feeling good about riding, now my confidence is out the window .

Old July 26th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #14
xSean13

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
Well I don't know if I am ready for standing yet. We went out for a ride this evening and I almost lost it big time. This huge gust of wind came out from the side, next thing I know I am blown off the road going towards the ditch and somehow (I don't know what happened) I ended back on the road again. I felt bad b/c we just got out chatterbox in our helmets and were trying them out and everyone heard me scream. I didn't know I what I was supposed to do, until we pulled over and my husband was telling me I should have corrected. Guess I need more experience. I thought I was getting the hang of things and feeling good about riding, now my confidence is out the window .
Countersteer into the wind! Glad you kept the shiny side up, so it's still a success.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #15
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
... it's also good for when my balls get into a tight knot when wearing jeans.
disregard that...only just realized it's not applicable to you, me lady

Old July 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #16
xSean13

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
I recently was "told off" by the campus pigs (sorry I just effin' hate ours) for standing up on my pegs while I went over about 4 speed bumps. popo pulls me over and starts chastising me for "stunting"...I tell him I wasn't stunting, but looking out for my ass (not stated as so )...anyway, I still do it and it's also good for when my balls get into a tight knot when wearing jeans.
Doing superman seat-grabs over the speed bumps? Lol, those campus POs (or at least that one) sounds pretty silly.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #17
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Trust me EthioKnight, I am going to have to grow some big balls to get on the bike today, it is a little windy. I am going to practice countersteering at a slower speed around our house. My husband is going to create a course for me tonight so I can learn to zig-zag and swerve around objects better. He is a good man, I am a big chicken

Old July 27th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #18
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Relax your arms and shoulders in the wind, or else the wind will have a direct input to the bars through your stiff upper body.

Ethio, dude that's ridiculous! They know you're supposed to stand up to cushion and goose it to lighten the front over bumps right? That's dumb. Just explain that's what you do on a bike or else you get bounced around. But be respectful. Police can be jerks, but they also can be great allies. They're just doing their job and are accustomed to people treating them like crap.
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #19
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

Name: dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Honda Shadow, 2008 ninja 250

on the long hauls i usually end up sitting on the passenger seat, it really helps out my knees and my bottom due to no one ever sitting back there alot more of the padding is left than up front
93etgocart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #20
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Well got on the bike today and started to learn how to countersteer and guess what????? Yep, looked in the rear view mirror and there is the local Sheriff and he was so kind to follow me into my driveway He looked at my bike and said, "I bet you don't have an endorsement for that thing do you?", I said "I sure do," and showed him my license and explained my ordeal yesterday and what I was doing to correct it. He seemed ok with it and told me to be careful. That gets me, earlier today I saw a car with no back lights turning - granted they were using their hands to signal WITH a sheriff BEHIND them and they did not get followed -- me swerving from side to side on the road and BAM I get asked to see my license. Oh well, I am feeling better about countersteering now

Old July 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #21
seanshawnS
ninjette.org member

Name: SHAWN

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250r(2012PR)

Quote:
Trust me EthioKnight, I am going to have to grow some big balls to get on the bike today, it is a little windy. I am going to practice countersteering at a slower speed around our house. My husband is going to create a course for me tonight so I can learn to zig-zag and swerve around objects better. He is a good man, I am a big chicken
If he's a really "good" man, you should get him to signal which way to swerve. Of course he has to stand in your path for it to work properly, hence the "good" part
seanshawnS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #22
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

LOL, I think he is still worried about me increasing his life insurance -- don't think I have a chance getting him to stand in front of me

Old July 27th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #23
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

most guys don't get scared unless the policy is increased to 10mil
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #24
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Well mine is just a poor ol' country guy and I just keep looking for more and more life insur. policies, can't blame a woman for trying

Old July 28th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #25
lostdaemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Mar

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

+1 to all good advice above.

Standing on pegs over bumps saves my butt a lot. They even taught it in my MSF course.
I feel there is a toughening stage for your butt to get used to the saddle - same as with a bicycle, same sit-bones too! It gets easier

A new seat might be in the works, but also check your suspension. You can adjust it for your weight, so the rear suspension will actually *work* like it's supposed to (unless you're a featherweight like me lol, and out of the stock suspension range. I compensate by running a little less in my tires and standing up off the seat *a lot* until I can install a new spring and sort it out.)
If your suspension isn't set up for you, it isn't absorbing any of those bumps, so they go straight to your butt. It's not very confidence inspiring in a new rider to be bounced all over the road, practically off the bike!
lostdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #26
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

One thing I have been working on is using the gas tank and lifting myself off the seat a bit and that has helped alot. I think also just riding and getting my rear end used to the seat has helped. Right now the bike is the perfect height for me so I am not wanting to raise it anymore so I fear raising the suspension any, but if I continue having problems, that may be another option. I have been checking into another seat, but the reviews don't look as promising as I hoped. Anyone change their seat and happy with the "comfort" level? Just curious.

Old July 28th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #27
lostdaemon
ninjette.org member

I don't think changing the suspension changes the seat height. I certainly wouldn't want my seat any higher either!

Old July 28th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #28
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Well that is good to know -- then I will give it a try for sure, thanks

Old July 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #29
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdaemon View Post
I don't think changing the suspension changes the seat height. I certainly wouldn't want my seat any higher either!
Modifying the suspension can indeed change the seat height. I wish I could jack my Ninja up a good 3" on the seat height. I also want rear-sets and along with that I'd love a higher seat so that my knees wouldn't be as cramped. I'm 6'1", a lil' too tall for sports bikes I feel sometimes.

Old July 29th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #30
lostdaemon
ninjette.org member

It does? So does it change seat height if you're just changing the collar adjustment on the rear shock, if you replace the spring, or if you swap out the whole rear suspension setup?

From what I've read rearsets can help really tall riders, I hope your knees aren't killing you! Ergonomics aside, I see plenty of tall people on low bikes, and short people on really big bikes. My sister is the same height as me and rides an R1, much taller seat!

Old July 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #31
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Adjusting the stock suspension does not change the seat height at rest. It will play with the sag. If you swap springs but maintain the stock uncompressed spring length, the seat height will be the same. If you replace the stock shock with another shock of unequal eye to eye length, you will change the seat height.

EDIT: One thing to keep the butt nice and comfy on long rides are biking shorts. I discovered that using my racing bibs not only makes it 10x easier to get in and out of sweaty leathers, but makes my butt hurt a lot less! I never realized how much they helped until I rode without them for more than 2 hours.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #32
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

You get used to it. It's like riding a bicycle for the first time in a long time. After a few weeks, you don't notice it. I took a 600 mile trip to Florida back in June and soreness didn't creep in until about 350 miles or so on the stock seat. Shifting your weight once in a while, standing on the pegs for a bit, or stretching your legs out on frame sliders helps. I can see how bicycle shorts would help, but I haven't tried yet. It's a little too warm here right now.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #33
MXSteve89
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): YZ250F (dirtbike) 2008 Ninja 250

Being as I'm going to a 800+ mile trip here soon, this inspires me to do something.. I'm gonna go see what kinda foam/gel I can get, and add another more comfortable top layer to the seat.

Hopefully tackle it this week and see... will post up some more info once I start on this project.
MXSteve89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #34
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Quote:
I have officially named my bike: . . . . . . . HARDASS!
Love it, you should get it painted on or a custom sticker. If nothing else it will be a great conversation piece when your stopped on the road side ...
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #35
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

I don't know why some company hasn't created a gel type seat already -- I would buy it for sure. I do have biking shorts and wear them when we ride our bicycles, but now i have upgraded to my 250, lol.

I do think I need to get something with my bike name on it -- it fits her well - great idea R1Chronicles

Rode my bike today with a little bit of wind gusts and I only freaked out a little bit, BUT I was able to counter steer - still a little shaky from the other day, but I am only human (I think).

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #36
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Quote:
I do think I need to get something with my bike name on it -- it fits her well - great idea R1Chronicles
I like playing with graphics ....
Attached Images
File Type: png Hardass.png (22.8 KB, 0 views)

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #37
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Gelseats for a bicycle are a hoax! There are custom seat upholsters that put gel on top of the foam underneath the seat covering, some people swear by it, others don't.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #38
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

This is the best $20 bucks I ever spent! Fits and conforms to the seat like it was made for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat.jpg (73.8 KB, 7 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #39
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

R1Chroncles - That was priceless, I love it. I can't wait to show my husband when he gets home tonight.

Old July 30th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #40
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

DaBlue1 where did you get that seat? Does it slide? How do you attach it to the bike? Do tell, it looks so comfy . . . . .