ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #1
tommyher
TOMS

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Candy Thunder Blue)

Smile ?Products to LOWER your bike?

Should I use Vortex Clip-ons or Woodcraft Clip-ons for the front Forks?
And for the rear, are "Street Bikes Unlimited Lowering Links" good?

I'm looking for a rough 2in or 2.5in drop for both front and rear; with both equivalently lowered of coarse.

I am from the Central Valley in California and I would sure love to make some friends who rides as well because I don't have any buddies who ride bikes. So yeah.

So if you guys aren't busy, please do fill me with some inputs. Thanks Guys & Gals.

-TOMS
tommyher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #2
kkim

why is it that you want to lower the bike?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Lowering

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #4
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Mine came with the roaring toyz adjustable set for the front and rear and it dropped it enough so when I sit on the bike I'm not on the balls of my feet but the entire sole of my shoe touches the floor. I can lower it more but it's perfect as it is now.
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #5
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

The roaring toyz rear links can lower the rear below what you could even safely ride..unless you ride on perfectly smooth roads and weigh like 100lbs LOL mine is set on the 4th notch and that's like 2.5 I believe.. front is 1" blocks. It's low once your weight is on it.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #6
tommyher
TOMS

I am a short rider as you guys will probably suspect from my questions being asked.
Unfortunately, I'm only 5'4 and 120lbs.

Yeah, I've looked into the "Lowering" section in ninjette.org already.
I just want to be able to be flat footed on the asphalt because I'm short.

I don't like the roaringtoyz front adjusters because it only drops 1"; I would like at least 2" or 2.5", you guys know what I mean?

So yeah, I just wanted to know what kind of clip-ons are good, if any of you have tried it before? And also for the rear as well; what kind of links are good enough?
"Street Bikes Unlimited Lowering Links" or "RoaringToyz"?

Yeah, please do let me know guys. Thanks; you guys are soo much cooler than other kawasaki forums; I'm glad that I am now a member/newbie here

Old July 17th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #7
kkim

lowering the front too much will result in the front fender hitting the undercowl area. I don't know exactly what that number is, but 1" is plenty.

as far as the rear, lowering it more than 1.5-2" is not recommended. rear tire can start hitting the under fender liner and eat through it ripping out electrical wires when it does and rendering the bike dead in it's tracks.

Old July 17th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #8
tommyher
TOMS

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
lowering the front too much will result in the front fender hitting the undercowl area. I don't know exactly what that number is, but 1" is plenty.

as far as the rear, lowering it more than 1.5-2" is not recommended. rear tire can start hitting the under fender liner and eat through it ripping out electrical wires when it does and rendering the bike dead in it's tracks.
Hey thanks Kelly.
So 1" should be enough? What If I lowered the rear by 3", don't I have to lower the front at least 3" as well? What do you think Kelly?

For the rear, since I have the fender eliminator, would it still be fine lowering it 3"? I just want the bike to sit low nicely (not just because I am a short rider) but because I like the looks with a low riding drop. I am aware that it'll affect my handling.

I want to know what kind of clip-ons and what kind of lowering links will work best.

Old July 17th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #9
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Lowering the front 3" would probably result in a permanent tank slapper.
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #10
kkim

you are limited in back by the black liner on the underside of the rear seat portion, not the rear fender itself. just keep in mind the warning about the rear tire hitting that liner and eating through it. my recommendation is not to go past 2" in back.

my recommendation is 1" max in front. possibly more if you are willing to figure out fender to undercowl clearance when suspension is at it's max compression.

beyond that, you're on your own. if you do go more than those numbers, please share what you find as the max one can lower their bikes. I'm always willing to learn new things, but what I've stated is from what other members have learned about their bikes... some the hard way.

I'm not much into how the bike "looks", but rather on how it performs and from my experience, having the maximum travel afforded by the suspension design is always best. I'm all for shortening the bike for people needing to touch the ground, but I'm always against doing it for "looks".

Old July 18th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #11
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
IMHO you never want to lower the rear more than you lower the front due to making the bike less nimble on the twisties.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #12
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

1" in the front is about the lowest cause 2-2.5 up front the bottom of the headlight would be smacking the front fender when braking and links in the back on lowest level, is too low and the rear actually sits a touch lower then the front then, at least looking at the fairings underneath to use as a guide on how it sits. i tried just messing around in my driveway when i installed mine.. the bottom of the shock would smack the curb leaving my driveway, and who knows what else you would hit under normal driving, not to mention you would need a new kickstand cause even on the 2.5" setting the kickstand doesnt quite lean the bike over enough, i mean it works but sometimes it looks like the bike could possibly tip over if your not on perfectly flat ground, so new kickstand is needed below 2.5" for sure. heres a pic of mine with 1' blocks and links on 2.5" drop. then when im on it, it goes down another 1-2", even at this setting with me on it i rub the plastic liner underneath, im over 300lbs tho and had to customize that a little bit to make it work.

STOCK FRONT/REAR vv

THIS IS 1" UP FRONT, STOCK REAR vv

THIS IS 1" FRONT, 2.5" REAR vv

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #13
Snake

Great pics Ed. Shows very clearly that even at just 1 inch lower in the front the fender is very close to the fairings and at 2.5 inches lowered in the rear the tire is very close to the plastic liner. Keep in mind that this is without the weight of the rider.

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #14
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

right.. im heavy, so when im on it its low, never had a issue with the front touching but its close.

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #15
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
IMHO you never want to lower the rear more than you lower the front due to making the bike less nimble on the twisties.
For the experts out there. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #16
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

i would think this is true, i know when the bike was lowered in the front and the rear was stock, it turned really good. but the lower you go the less it can lean in turns cause your feet will smack the ground..loL! i dont lean it much obviously . if you put the rear on its lowest setting with roaring toyz, the bike actually sits slighlty lower in the rear then the front and thats without a driver on it.

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #17
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

noob question: if you install woodcraft clip-ons do they lower your bike? if so by how much? would you have to lower your rear to match the front or would you be fine? just wondering because my clip ons are on order from race bike rentals.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #18
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

they change the position your hands are in.. they dont lower the bike, but they allow you to lower the bike if wanted since the stock bars cover the top of the fork tubes, the clipons leave them open allowing movement of the fork tubes up or down.

Old July 18th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #19
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

thanks for the clarification

Old July 18th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #20
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

the DIY has good pics of what im talking about http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12960

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #21
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

At 5'4" you shouldn't lower the bike. There are many riders shorter than you who are riding at stock height. You don't have to flatfoot with BOTH feet when you stop. Just move your body weight a little over to the left when you are stopping and use your left foot to hold yourself up. It's not that big of a deal and it will become natural to you. I know because I am about your height and had similar concerns, but realized very quickly that it is not a problem.
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #22
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

yea i'm 5'4" with no shoes on, and i ride at stock height without too many problems at all. i can get about half my feet on the ground. the only times i have issues is when stopping on inclines or declines. almost fell over at a inclined stop sign, but i muscled it out. i have no plans on lowering my bike as i want to maintain optimal suspension for the twisties. you can always get a custom seat that is narrower and would allow you to reach the ground more.

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #23
tommyher
TOMS

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
you are limited in back by the black liner on the underside of the rear seat portion, not the rear fender itself. just keep in mind the warning about the rear tire hitting that liner and eating through it. my recommendation is not to go past 2" in back.

my recommendation is 1" max in front. possibly more if you are willing to figure out fender to undercowl clearance when suspension is at it's max compression.

beyond that, you're on your own. if you do go more than those numbers, please share what you find as the max one can lower their bikes. I'm always willing to learn new things, but what I've stated is from what other members have learned about their bikes... some the hard way.

I'm not much into how the bike "looks", but rather on how it performs and from my experience, having the maximum travel afforded by the suspension design is always best. I'm all for shortening the bike for people needing to touch the ground, but I'm always against doing it for "looks".
Hey thanks Kelly; I wasn't even aware of that at all. Sorry I'm like a newbie to motorcycles. I'll "definitely" keep that in mind in regards to the rear especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteninja View Post
1" in the front is about the lowest cause 2-2.5 up front the bottom of the headlight would be smacking the front fender when braking and links in the back on lowest level, is too low and the rear actually sits a touch lower then the front then, at least looking at the fairings underneath to use as a guide on how it sits. i tried just messing around in my driveway when i installed mine.. the bottom of the shock would smack the curb leaving my driveway, and who knows what else you would hit under normal driving, not to mention you would need a new kickstand cause even on the 2.5" setting the kickstand doesnt quite lean the bike over enough, i mean it works but sometimes it looks like the bike could possibly tip over if your not on perfectly flat ground, so new kickstand is needed below 2.5" for sure. heres a pic of mine with 1' blocks and links on 2.5" drop. then when im on it, it goes down another 1-2", even at this setting with me on it i rub the plastic liner underneath, im over 300lbs tho and had to customize that a little bit to make it work.

STOCK FRONT/REAR vv

THIS IS 1" UP FRONT, STOCK REAR vv

THIS IS 1" FRONT, 2.5" REAR vv

Hey Ed, thanks a whole bunch. I've been trying to look for these kind of pics for a long time. This really really helps me a lot Ed. I'm sure it'll definitely help others as well (Great visual perspective) However, Ed do you think it's possible to lower the front just at least 1.5"? Or is that pushing it a bit? Possible or slightly 1.3"?
With the 1"front and 2.5" would that be enough for me to flat foot on asphalt as I am only 5'4?
So, what kind of kit did you use to lower your front & rear? - roaringtoyz links? front roaringtoyz spacers? or clipons?
Please do advise me. Thanks
(Also, keep in mind that I'm only 120lbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
At 5'4" you shouldn't lower the bike. There are many riders shorter than you who are riding at stock height. You don't have to flatfoot with BOTH feet when you stop. Just move your body weight a little over to the left when you are stopping and use your left foot to hold yourself up. It's not that big of a deal and it will become natural to you. I know because I am about your height and had similar concerns, but realized very quickly that it is not a problem.
Hey thanks Ichiro

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #24
jezebel
ninjette.org member

Name: Canada

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Tiny person weighing in here, 98lbs, 5'0, on a lowered bike.

I installed roaring toyz links and did a 3 inch drop at the tail, 2.5 inch drop in seat height (so I could have the balls of my feet touch, I couldn't duck walk before), and the handlebar raisers that allowed me to drop the front 1".

I'm going to install the woodcraft clipons, which although not lowering the front, will put me back in a more sport-style riding position.

You can get away with lowering the back as much as I did because you don't weigh a lot - but if you're going to carry passengers, you'll need to reassess. I have my suspension preload at 6, so that my rear tire doesn't hit my rear fender. I also put a little piece of tape in the undertail to monitor if it scratches it at all - so far, it's been fine, but I imagine if I weighed more, or took passengers it would be a problem.

Speedbumps are the only thing I look out for.

If it helps - I made a website about being a short rider, with a ton of resources and the research I did when choosing how to lower my bike - www.ridingjezebel.com

good luck

my mods
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #25
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
that is true. when lowering the the rear and not compensating the front by a similar amount, the steering angle of the forks increase making the bike act more like a "chopper" and destroys the nimble feeling that is one of the 250R's positive traits.

this has all been covered/discussed before and the info is here on ninjette, if one searches for it.

people seem never to want to listen once they get it in their head on how to "improve" their bikes, no matter what the negative consequences.

Old July 18th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #26
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyher View Post
With the 1"front and 2.5" would that be enough for me to flat foot on asphalt as I am only 5'4?
So, what kind of kit did you use to lower your front & rear? - roaringtoyz links? front roaringtoyz spacers? or clipons?
Please do advise me. Thanks
(Also, keep in mind that I'm only 120lbs)

my setup is roaring toyz front and back, with there spacers no you cant go any lower then 1" in the front.. i personally dont think youll want to go lower then that though. as for can you flat foot it im not sure.. im sure you could on the lowest setting but you would have to feel that setup out for a while cause i would think it would be too low for normal everyday driving.