ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #81
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Im gonna try it before I go for a ride this afternoon, I don't plan on changing tires until the ones I have are worn out, which should not be long for the back, but the front tire still looks almost brand new.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #82
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I adjusted the preload to 2 before I went on a 200 mile ride today, the bike handled better for sure, also when I had set on 1 bumps would bounce me out of the seat if I did not stand on the pegs, I expected this to be worse after I bumped up the preload, but I was presently surprised when I found out just the opposite. I might try 3 on my next ride.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #83
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Heres my Pic after i set the pre-load of the Rear shock too #2, From #1 (factory). Where my finger points is the Black (Tab) that clicks your shock into its setting, once youve turned it enuff. Each higher setting will come from your LEFT (bikes leftside) as to know.

I had my bike only on its kickstand, no one sitting on it. It was easy as hell turning it, nor did i get a knucklebuster so i dunno why you guys are having a hard time and using WD-40 on it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0026.jpg (72.2 KB, 76 views)
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #84
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
I had my bike only on its kickstand, no one sitting on it. It was easy as hell turning it, nor did i get a knucklebuster so i dunno why you guys are having a hard time and using WD-40 on it!
...that's because yours is broken.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #85
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I just bumped mine up a notch for the first time to setting #2 tonight and it was smooth and easy. I had the bike up on my paddock stand at the time.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #86
bluetaco
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Does anybody know how I can get this tool? Apparently my '09 Ninja didn't come with this. Kind sucks because the rear end is mushy and it takes almost no weight on the back to drop it down. Thanks!
bluetaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #87
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetaco View Post
Does anybody know how I can get this tool? Apparently my '09 Ninja didn't come with this. Kind sucks because the rear end is mushy and it takes almost no weight on the back to drop it down. Thanks!
Did you buy your bike new from a dealer? If so it should be in your tool kit under the passenger seat. If not, talk to your dealer about one.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #88
bluetaco
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Yup, brand new from dealer. Wasn't in the tool kit though, even though the kit was sealed.
bluetaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #89
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

then i would suggest you go to your dealer and let them know. otherwise, you could buy it here at bike bandit. it is part number 92110b. for $6.26

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...-2009/o/m17969

hmm... i can't direct link, but it is under "tools and manuals"... then under "owners tools"
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #90
BIGT94z
ninjette.org member

Name: b

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

this is a great diy. im 200lbs and the last ride out the rear just didnt feel stable enough when i went through a tight s turn going 60. ima try to tinker with the preload this weekend
BIGT94z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #91
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Question: if the bike is lowered, does that put more pre-load on the shock/spring? The reason I ask is that my bike is lowered quite a bit (due to my lack of height and desire to get my feet flat while I'm learning) and I could not budge that adjuster to save my life. I also found the rear tire to be quite in the way and there was really no position on the adjuster where I could get a clear hold with the wrench.

Old July 21st, 2010, 03:08 PM   #92
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

i'm so thankful i found this...my bike was waayyyyy too bouncy....although being 105lb and having to bump it up to the third notch, i'm starting to think maybe something is wrong with mine
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #93
Hitman
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Special Edition (Red/Black) / 2008 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Silver/White) / Ducati Diavel Carbon Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousD View Post
Question: if the bike is lowered, does that put more pre-load on the shock/spring? The reason I ask is that my bike is lowered quite a bit (due to my lack of height and desire to get my feet flat while I'm learning) and I could not budge that adjuster to save my life. I also found the rear tire to be quite in the way and there was really no position on the adjuster where I could get a clear hold with the wrench.

I am on the same boat as you and have the same exact problem. Mine wont move either.

Last futzed with by Hitman; August 4th, 2010 at 02:31 PM.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #94
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Try harder. I found it was easier to remove the chain guard, and attack it from the left side. Breaking it loose the first time can be a real pain in the ass. But once it starts moving, then you're good to go.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #95
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I went in from the left side with the chain guard still in place. Then I gripped the right side of the swingarm (If I remember correctly) with my fingers and hooked the wrench with my thumb. This gave me extra power to pull the wrench with since now my fingers can pull as my thumb pushes

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #96
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Push on the bikes left side. bike should be on its kickstand on stable ground ((not sitting in grass,dirt)
then have a friend hold the bike firmly on its right side, while you push on the preload setting.
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #97
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Try harder. I found it was easier to remove the chain guard, and attack it from the left side. Breaking it loose the first time can be a real pain in the ass. But once it starts moving, then you're good to go.
The real problem on mine is the rear tire is in the way. There's no room for the wrench to swing and I tried it from both sides, from every angle possible. My bike is lowered a LOT while I'm learning (I'm one of those vertically challenged folks). I believe the spring is significantly preloaded in this lowered state, though, so adjusting it is probably a crapshoot anyway.

Old August 4th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #98
kkim

the rear shock comes in the softest of the 5 spring settings from the factory. if you haven't touched the preload adjuster, you're most likely in the softest position already. lowering doesn't affect the preload position.

Old August 4th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #99
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
the rear shock comes in the softest of the 5 spring settings from the factory. if you haven't touched the preload adjuster, you're most likely in the softest position already. lowering doesn't affect the preload position.
Ok, now that I look at the suspension again I believe you are right. So the real problem is that the rear tire is in the way. I may shorten the adjuster wrench by the quarter inch it would need to clear the tire. I would like to put the adjuster on position 2.

Old August 4th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #100
Hitman
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Special Edition (Red/Black) / 2008 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Silver/White) / Ducati Diavel Carbon Red

Thanks for tip everyone. Reason I'm adjusting mine to probably setting 2 or 3 is I went over a speed bump at a parking lot and my rear tire scrapped the underside of my bike. Now I have a nice tire scratch underneath.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #101
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Thanks for tip everyone. Reason I'm adjusting mine to probably setting 2 or 3 is I went over a speed bump at a parking lot and my rear tire scrapped the underside of my bike. Now I have a nice tire scratch underneath.
Posted via Mobile Device
do you have your bike lowered?

Old August 5th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #102
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome2thedawn View Post
i'm so thankful i found this...my bike was waayyyyy too bouncy....although being 105lb and having to bump it up to the third notch, i'm starting to think maybe something is wrong with mine
So how did the change workout?
Even at 155lbs. the first setting is too bouncy for me - looks like an easy fix.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #103
Hitman
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
do you have your bike lowered?
Yes, my bike has been lowered already.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #104
kkim

well, it's too low if you're hitting the under fender. exactly how many inches did you drop it?

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #105
chitownrida
ninjette.org newbie

Name: bun b

Motorcycle(s): hers: 250r mine:gsx-r 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

hitman i was having the same problem with the wife's bike. she was slammed on the roaringtoyz lowering links and we couldnt adjust the preload easily. i had to raise the bike up to the highest link hole to adjust preload, then drop it back down. hope this helps.

the preload now is on the stiffest (5) but i think even with a heavy rider and fully lowered you can risk rubbing still

-ben

Old August 6th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #106
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Right - adjusting the preload will certainly help, but with preload adjustments alone it's not doing a whole lot of change on the spring rate itself, so a heavy rider is still at risk of blowing right through the remaining spring travel and bottoming out the bike.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #107
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousD View Post
Ok, now that I look at the suspension again I believe you are right. So the real problem is that the rear tire is in the way. I may shorten the adjuster wrench by the quarter inch it would need to clear the tire. I would like to put the adjuster on position 2.
Could you maybe try removing one of the rear sets to make more room? (Thats if you don't want to shorten your tool)

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #108
chitownrida
ninjette.org newbie

Name: bun b

Motorcycle(s): hers: 250r mine:gsx-r 600

^ tried that also. basically the tab for the chain guard is usually the problem.... the spanner has to be perpendicular otherwise there isnt enough grip to turn it.. unless you are the hulk

Old August 7th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #109
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Have a friend hold the bike vertically from the front or (better) get it up on a front-end paddock stand.

Put a floor jack under the shock knuckle.

Lift the bike.

This will unload the rear suspension completely, which both makes the adjuster easier to move AND gets the tire out of the way.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #110
keeyu
ninjette.org member

Name: kenny

Motorcycle(s): 250r

How do you know what setting you are on now?
keeyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #111
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeyu View Post
How do you know what setting you are on now?
pg. 123 of your owner's manual.

Old February 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #112
Fleshbazbo
ninjette.org member

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ex 250 ninja and 2012 Metallic troll snot green,3)Honda GL1000,XR400R,Suzuki Dr200

Correct suspension set up for extreme riding or How a racer sets up the bike.

The correct way to set up your motorcycle suspension is to sit on the seat and bounce. You want the front and back suspension to drop at the same time. If the front drops first in a corner there is a greater chance of the front tire washing out. Likewise if the rear shock drops first there is a greater chance of the rear wheel breaking loose in a corner (less of an issue than the front breaking loose first). If you want a stiffer ride than the front forks will allow , then you have to stiffen the front shocks by adding a spacer or washers on the inside of the tubes to stiffen the spring. But only if you are not already at your stiffest setting on the rear shock. Remember to get the safest ride you need to set up the bike with the front and rear dropping at the same time when loaded the way you are going to ride and carrying a passenger changes the settings.
Fleshbazbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #113
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

I just did this today. I keep forgetting to do it so I did it right after I rode today. I haven't had a chance to ride with it one the 2 setting. I was wearing my coat and gloves when I did it and it really easy. (I didn't want to hurt my hand or burn myself on the exhaust) I just hooked it in and pulled against the passenger foot peg bracket.

Old July 17th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #114
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

So pretty much every time i hit the slightest bump in the road I end up hanging onto the handle bars for dear life as NASA identifies me as a UFO in orbit.

I'm guessing its on the first setting so I'm going to crank it up to the second one today after work (or before depending on when I wake up). This should help based on what i've read, right??

I'll let you guys know how it goes =)

Old July 18th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #115
LazyMaxy
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

adjusting preload

Thanks for this! I didn't realize how bad my little ninja was handling until I changed the setting. Factory came at 1 and I changed it to 3 (190lb rider).100% improvement!
LazyMaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #116
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

is the pre-load related to the seat height at all? like raising the pre-load raises the seat a bit or vice versa.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #117
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_turbo View Post
is the pre-load related to the seat height at all? like raising the pre-load raises the seat a bit or vice versa.
increasing preload will result in a higher seat height by a bit, but the main reason for adjusting preload is to set the spring weight/tension to the weight of the rider for proper suspension integration. Under ideal conditions, race sag should be set to 1/3 the total rear suspension travel.

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #118
ladyninja08
ninjette.org member

Name: Christine

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black ninja 250r

Adjusted mine will post up after the rain stops and Ican take a ride.
ladyninja08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #119
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

So I bought my bike used, no tools... I order the adjuster a while ago with some other little things and proceeded to forget all about it since it was on back order..

To day it showed up, I didnt think much of it went and moved it from p1 to p4 and took what started as a short ride but it was like a new bike that turned into an hour lap around the block. I LOVE IT, what a difference.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #120
Ninja28
ninjette.org member

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

So Im new to the whole bike scene and I have no idea what the difference is between a good handling bike and a bad one. From what I have read here my suspension preload should be about a 4 since I am 220lbs?

Thanks for the help!
Ninja28 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.