ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old August 4th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I screwed up

Well.. it finally happened. Almost exactly 2 months into riding, I have crashed (and most likely totaled) my baby.

It was just like any other normal morning, except I decided to go on a canyon ride with some other riders.
We went up State Highway 243 (Idyllwild). We were coming back down the mountain, and as I approached a pretty wide turn, I came down too fast, and knew it right away.
I subsequently attempted to upright myself and brake, and during that whole process I was target fixating on the shoulder/guard rail that I really did not want to run into.
I ended up running onto the shoulder, hitting the guard rail on my right side, bouncing off and landing on my left side, and I slid a solid twenty feet, and my bike went about 10 feet into the middle of the road.

I was ATGATT, of course, and thank god.
I was wearing some Kevlar and knee padded riding jeans, my AGV Sport Sniper jacket, Bell RS-1, and A* SMX-2 gloves, and A* Fastlane boots.
My gear actually did it purpose, surprise . I have slight rash on both my knees, and my left big toe is pretty bruised (I think I kicked the ground while tumbling).
Other than that, I am actually okay, and pretty happy about that.

As for my bike..
The right fairing is scraped and slightly cracked (from hitting the guard rail), both rear sets are completely broken off, my left turn signal broke off, and of course, my front fairing is scraped up, the side fairing is completely rashed/cracked, and my rear seat fairing is cracked and scraped.
But it gets better, my front tire got gashed, my front rim is bent inward at one point, and both of my forks are bent inwards, to where the tire is hitting the fairing.

The insurance adjuster should be coming in the next few days, so we'll see if he totals it or not.
I'm hoping he doesn't, because I love that bike, and there are a lot of good aftermarket parts I'd hate to see get totaled out.

On another note, a guy I was riding with went down about 40 feet in front of me at the same time when he hit a patch of gravel, panicked, and grabbed a hand full of front brake and high sided.
His front fairing is in complete shambles, and it looked more like a street fighter after than a zx-6r.
His bike was in the middle of the road, so if I had actually been making the turn, it could have been a lot worse, so in some sort I'm happy that if I was going to go down, I went down when I did.

Pictures will follow soon. I've got to get over the emotional part to go out and take pictures.
I cried. I'll admit it. I love that bike.

Unfortunately, I leave for school in two weeks, and I can't take my bike (before the crash.. and after), so I won't be able to ride until thanksgiving time at the earliest (if they don't total it).
But.. hopefully I'll be back on the saddle soon.
I know what I did wrong, and I've learned first hand what target fixation can do. Hopefully I can improve and do better next time.

Oh, and @fishdip, my gloves held up in a crash higher than 30 mph.. so I think you owe me a pair of gloves

Old August 4th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #2
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

So sorry to hear! But I'm glad you're ok.

With the damage you described, its totaled.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Sorry, David; ......not even two months of riding and enjoying your bike yet
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #4
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dino

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki EX250(Bright Yellow)

Sorry to hear about your accident... glad you're up & walking!

Old August 4th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #5
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driddle View Post
Well.. it finally happened. Almost exactly 2 months into riding, I have crashed (and most likely totaled) my baby.

It was just like any other normal morning, except I decided to go on a canyon ride with some other riders.
We went up State Highway 243 (Idyllwild). We were coming back down the mountain, and as I approached a pretty wide turn, I came down too fast, and knew it right away.
I subsequently attempted to upright myself and brake, and during that whole process I was target fixating on the shoulder/guard rail that I really did not want to run into.
I ended up running onto the shoulder, hitting the guard rail on my right side, bouncing off and landing on my left side, and I slid a solid twenty feet, and my bike went about 10 feet into the middle of the road.

I was ATGATT, of course, and thank god.
I was wearing some Kevlar and knee padded riding jeans, my AGV Sport Sniper jacket, Bell RS-1, and A* SMX-2 gloves, and A* Fastlane boots.
My gear actually did it purpose, surprise . I have slight rash on both my knees, and my left big toe is pretty bruised (I think I kicked the ground while tumbling).
Other than that, I am actually okay, and pretty happy about that.

As for my bike..
The right fairing is scraped and slightly cracked (from hitting the guard rail), both rear sets are completely broken off, my left turn signal broke off, and of course, my front fairing is scraped up, the side fairing is completely rashed/cracked, and my rear seat fairing is cracked and scraped.
But it gets better, my front tire got gashed, my front rim is bent inward at one point, and both of my forks are bent inwards, to where the tire is hitting the fairing.

The insurance adjuster should be coming in the next few days, so we'll see if he totals it or not.
I'm hoping he doesn't, because I love that bike, and there are a lot of good aftermarket parts I'd hate to see get totaled out.

On another note, a guy I was riding with went down about 40 feet in front of me at the same time when he hit a patch of gravel, panicked, and grabbed a hand full of front brake and high sided.
His front fairing is in complete shambles, and it looked more like a street fighter after than a zx-6r.
His bike was in the middle of the road, so if I had actually been making the turn, it could have been a lot worse, so in some sort I'm happy that if I was going to go down, I went down when I did.

Pictures will follow soon. I've got to get over the emotional part to go out and take pictures.
I cried. I'll admit it. I love that bike.

Unfortunately, I leave for school in two weeks, and I can't take my bike (before the crash.. and after), so I won't be able to ride until thanksgiving time at the earliest (if they don't total it).
But.. hopefully I'll be back on the saddle soon.
I know what I did wrong, and I've learned first hand what target fixation can do. Hopefully I can improve and do better next time.

Oh, and @fishdip, my gloves held up in a crash higher than 30 mph.. so I think you owe me a pair of gloves
It sounds like they did not even touch the ground.

Old August 4th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #6
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

That sucks. I'm in the bikes totaled camp for sure. Good thing you're alright. I'm telling you right now injuries are not the business. It's a challenge for me to go to the bathroom one handed...
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #7
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

glad your ok! at least you learned some things.

Old August 4th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Glad you're OK. More data for this thread, unfortunately.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

100% absolutely totaled. On the bright side since you wont be in the market for a bike until thanksgiving the prices for used bikes should be lower then than they are now as it's not exactly riding season. Glad you're okay dude.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #10
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
When I read this, I went oooooh sh*t

Glad you're okay, major bummer
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #11
BIGREDIOWAN
ninjette.org member

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I'd agree that bike is totalled.............glad you're okay, sounds like it was a heck of a ride.
BIGREDIOWAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #12
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Thanks guys.
I really hope it's not totaled, although I'm sure it is.
I don't want to get rid of the yoshi system that bike has on it.

Old August 4th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #13
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
sorry about the crash but glad your ok for the most part

I'm kind thinking you entered that corner to fast for your skill and not simply to fast. This is a general assumption based on two months of riding and well 99% of videos I see I'm thinking they could have easily made it through that turn if they had just turned instead of panicking. I say this because it's important to learn from a crash but also important to learn the correct reason for the crash. Overconfidence with speed and can kill, lack of confidence with speed can also kill. Find your correct balance of speed and confidence for your current skill level and slowly work on developing them all together.

In the future don't put yourself in that position but if you find yourself in that position again don't panic, trust in your bikes ability to be capable of more then you are and turn the bike. You always here people say after hitting the guard rail that they didn't think the tire would stick and they thought they would lowside if they tried to make the turn. Well that could be true but you wouldn't know until to tried and beside the alternative is a 100% chance of crashing by panicking. This will go against all your natural instincts but just keep in mind its possible to overwrite those instincts and make better logical decisions with experience.

best of luck with the insurance.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
.........the alternative is a 100% chance of crashing by panicking. This will go against all your natural instincts but just keep in mind its possible to overwrite those instincts and make better logical decisions with experience.....
Excellent post, Jason !!!

Copied from:
http://www.asktog.com/columns/066Panic!.html

"Today, we know panic as “ a discrete period of intense fear or discomfort that is accompanied by at least 4 of 13 somatic or cognitive symptoms... often accompanied by a sense of imminent danger or impending doom and an urge to escape...or desire to flee from wherever the attack is occurring.”
The natural role of the anxiety leading to panic appears to be to guide us toward immediate evasive action, be it flight or fight. Panic ensues when we are unable to formulate an effective evasive action, we choose the wrong evasive action, the evasive action is ineffective, or the evasive action goes terribly wrong in ways we do not understand.
A common element runs through all the cases mentioned at the head of this article—technology. We were “designed” by evolution to work effectively within our natural environment.
When we create technologies that are extremely complex and do not provide comprehensive feedback for each and every possible error, such as a seat belt left unbuckled, people have a tendency to drive their aircraft into garden parties.
Trainers attempt to build competence in the individual, so that panic never ensues.
Flying students go through similarly endless rounds of “engine out,” “engine on fire,” and other sorts of emergency procedures, ensuring that, later in life, should a true emergency arise, they will know exactly what to do."

This may help some new riders:

How to: Riding Downhill

Last futzed with by Motofool; August 5th, 2013 at 07:34 AM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #15
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Glad to hear you are okay. Heal up quick!!

If you are mechanically inclined and feel like taking on a project, there may be the possibility of buying back your bike if the insurance totals her and repairing what needs fixed. Depends on the extent of the damage but I've heard it's an option.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #16
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
sorry to hear, hopefully you can learn from this incident and move forward. Speaking of moving forward, what's the new ride gonna be?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #17
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
sorry to hear, hopefully you can learn from this incident and move forward. Speaking of moving forward, what's the new ride gonna be?
Honestly.. I'll probably get another newgen 250, or maybe a 300 if the prices come down a little.
I don't think I've learned enough or am ready to move up to a super sport.

Old August 6th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #18
Dustinh1989
ninjette.org member

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 11' SE 250R

yea id stick with a 250 or 300 for a few more months before upgrading.
Dustinh1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #19
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

So.. to start.. I absolutely hate insurance, and everything that goes along with a claim.
First, the motorsports place I took it to has to report EVERY piece that had even the smallest scratch on it.
For example, the left hand mirror.. nothing wrong with it, just some cosmetic scratches. Oh that'll be $69.99 to replace. What?!
It doesn't need to be replaced you f***ing retards.
And they want to replace the entire Yoshi full system I have, when the only thing wrong with it is a small dent on the mid-pipe cover, nothing wrong with the headers, no scratches on the big tail pipe (whatever it's called), yet that needs to be replaced. $599.99.

So.. after adding up all the parts that "need" to be replaced, plus tax and labor, it came out to $5429.54. Blew my f***ing mind.
Needless to say, AAA will be totaling my bike, and paying me out what they value you it at (which won't be what it's actually worth), minus $500 for my deductible.
I'm getting shafted. Part of me wishes I had never gone to insurance and had just paid to fix it all myself. The only real problems were the front rim, the forks, and the rear sets. Those could all have been replaced for $1500 max.

Like I promised, I will post pics in this thread. It's just hard to look at for me.
There's also a video of it, but I can't even bear to watch that.

I shall update everyone when I know what they will pay me out with.
I honestly may try and buy the bike back from them and fix it myself. I love that thing. We'll see.

Old August 7th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #20
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Yep, that's what they do. They have to report what it would take to put it back on the showroom floor and sell it, which means every tiny little thing gets recorded.

If whatever they pay you is over the cost of replacing the vital parts that absolutely need fixing, totally go the buy back route if available. You get money out of it and your baby stays with you.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #21
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
So.. to start.. I absolutely hate insurance, and everything that goes along with a claim.
First, the motorsports place I took it to has to report EVERY piece that had even the smallest scratch on it.
For example, the left hand mirror.. nothing wrong with it, just some cosmetic scratches. Oh that'll be $69.99 to replace. What?!
It doesn't need to be replaced you f***ing retards.
And they want to replace the entire Yoshi full system I have, when the only thing wrong with it is a small dent on the mid-pipe cover, nothing wrong with the headers, no scratches on the big tail pipe (whatever it's called), yet that needs to be replaced. $599.99.

So.. after adding up all the parts that "need" to be replaced, plus tax and labor, it came out to $5429.54. Blew my f***ing mind.
Needless to say, AAA will be totaling my bike, and paying me out what they value you it at (which won't be what it's actually worth), minus $500 for my deductible.
I'm getting shafted. Part of me wishes I had never gone to insurance and had just paid to fix it all myself. The only real problems were the front rim, the forks, and the rear sets. Those could all have been replaced for $1500 max.

Like I promised, I will post pics in this thread. It's just hard to look at for me.
There's also a video of it, but I can't even bear to watch that.

I shall update everyone when I know what they will pay me out with.
I honestly may try and buy the bike back from them and fix it myself. I love that thing. We'll see.
Fight with them ever single bike I have crashed I have been paid more then I spent on it go to the dealers around you and get a quote of what you have to pay to by your bike from them then make the insurance pay it.

Old August 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #22
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

That sucks. That's the big catch with these ninjettes. Especially the over inflated California prices. These bikes aren't worth anything so unless you want to go finance crazy replacing it with insurance money is going to be a lot.

I want to see the video though.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote