ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old November 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

How much riding experience did you have before your first track day?

So, as the title reads, how much experience did you guys generally have before you took it to the track for the first time? Like how long had you been riding or around how many miles were under your belt? Also, in hindsight, do you think you were really ready for it with the skills you had?

After putting a good 600 miles on my bike over the last month (probably not a lot to most people, but for me, that's a lot more than I've ever done in that amount of time since I started riding in April) and finding myself getting a bit addicted to canyon riding, I really want to try out the track. I always hear that it's an amazing experience and it can help you really grow as a rider, but I just don't know how intense tracks are. I'm generally pretty good about riding at a pace I can handle and not going way over my head, and I have confidence in my street riding, but I don't know how extreme they expect or require a first timer to be.

So I guess what I really want to know is how beginner friendly is your average track, and/or how much experience do you think your average rider should have before even considering the track?
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #2
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
So, as the title reads, how much experience did you guys generally have before you took it to the track for the first time? Like how long had you been riding or around how many miles were under your belt? Also, in hindsight, do you think you were really ready for it with the skills you had?

After putting a good 600 miles on my bike over the last month (probably not a lot to most people, but for me, that's a lot more than I've ever done in that amount of time since I started riding in April) and finding myself getting a bit addicted to canyon riding, I really want to try out the track. I always hear that it's an amazing experience and it can help you really grow as a rider, but I just don't know how intense tracks are. I'm generally pretty good about riding at a pace I can handle and not going way over my head, and I have confidence in my street riding, but I don't know how extreme they expect or require a first timer to be.

So I guess what I really want to know is how beginner friendly is your average track, and/or how much experience do you think your average rider should have before even considering the track?
There are beginner classes at many track day events... just perfect for you so go ahead and do it! There are "control" riders on the track with you to watch and coach.. there's no "racing" allowed and some don't allow passing or there needs to be a wide berth. As you skills develop (a few track days), you'll jump up into the intermediate class and go faster, allowed some passing (you'll be a little bit more free to pick up the pace and do some safe passing) and after you've mastered that class you'll move up into the advanced class and really get busy
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

The Kieth Code schools just switched to the new BMW bikes, might be worth renting one of his to give it a try.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I had about 5 years experience and 60k miles under my belt before my first trackday. You can certainly go much earlier than that, but if a rider hasn't been on group rides with some fast groups already, the speed on the track might be quite surprising the first time out, even in the C group. The track is not a great place for those brand new to motorcycling, but once someone is confident with their skills and wants to branch out a bit more than is feasible on public roads, it's certainly the place to do it. Whether the appropriate experience is 3k miles, 20k miles, or 100k miles, depends completely on the individual and what they are looking to get out of it.

Heading up to Thunderhill this Saturday for probably my last track event of the year. Looks like great weather for late November (mid 60's and sunny by the afternoon!).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #5
NorCal_250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 650R, 08 Ninja 250R, 00 Aprilia SR50 (dead)

Your skills will soar when you do a trackday...but please start with a beginner school version...almost all trackday providers offer them.

Also you won't need a TON of updates to do a trackday, but the first one to REALLY do is upgrade the tires...if you do that and maybe have one of the suspension guys in your area do the front forks (oil and increased preload spacers or better springs)...you will have a fantastic base for your bike.

Of course if you are planning on keeping the Ninja...please consider sticking a Dynojet or Factory Pro jet kit in there...it will TRANSFORM the bike...

add to that the airfilter that Sportisi sells for $45 and you won't even recognize your bike...
NorCal_250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #6
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Ive been on and off 2 wheels since 1990. As others have stated, you will learn alot at the track. There is no set time or mileage which qualifies you for the track. If you feel you have good control of your machine under hard acceleration and braking then you are ready for the beginner group. Dont worry too much about tires until the speeds build. Get the right gear and go have fun.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

So they usually have some sort of instructional, class type things at Track Days? I'll look into signing up for one then, as the main reason I want to start doing track days, aside from the obvious fun factor, is I want to become a more skilled rider.

But, while I can handle navigating LA traffic everyday and relatively spirited canyon rides on my weekends, I don't really know too much about body positioning (like hanging off the bike a bit), or knee dragging, or those sorts of more advanced skills. Are those the kinds of things I need to know how to do going in, or is that the sort of stuff they teach you in the beginner levels?

Sorry, last question, but would you also recommend using my own bike, or would it be better to use a rental? I don't have anyway to transport my bike there other than riding it (The only car I own's a Celica, so a trailer's not really an option). Is it generally a pretty bad idea to ride your bike there and on the track?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but thanks a lot for the info ^_^ I'll start looking for a nice one piece suit, some racing boots, and perhaps see if I can find someone who I can trust to do some of those more simple mods. Hopefully, I won't have to wait too terribly long before I can schedule my first day.

Old November 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

I started with track days when I was a kid. Something like 7 or 8. 125CC dirt bikes, but still, it counts.

No, you don't need to know how to get your knee down to have fun at the track, in fact, my stepfather's friend and I are the only ones I've seen do it.

There's no reason you shouldn't ride your bike there that I can think of. I always do, but if you've got the money for a second, track-only bike, I say go for it.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2009, 06:59 PM   #9
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
16 years and hundreds (of thousands) of miles. I started riding at a very young age (thanks dad).

Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Dmitriy
voda?

Name: Dmitriy

Motorcycle(s): .... & a Ninja 250 duh

First bike I got had 600 miles when I bought it in August (SV650) by November of that year I had 6k miles on it. Its all history from there but its safe to say I had under 10k when I did my first trackday. I was hooked from then on. Here are my suggestions:

1. Find someone close by to you to take you to your first trackday. They can help you with getting you bike there (very important in case you bin it) and take care of little things like show you how to go through tech, replace the antifreeze with water wetter, suggest tire pressures etc... (If I ever decide to down a trackday in LA area I'll let you know)

2. Work with an instructor(s) all day long. listen and write down everything they say.

3. Get some more group riding miles in you it will help a lot for not having to think about operating the bike.

4. Have fun.

P.S. here is your admin enjoying himself:
http://4theriders.com/viewpics.php?l...Y/KAWI_ORANGE/
Dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
P.S. here is your admin enjoying himself:
http://4theriders.com/viewpics.php?l...Y/KAWI_ORANGE/
A friend had a videocamera trained on me for a session or two, here's a link. I'm on that yellow 10R starting from about 10 minutes in. Humor me for the first two warmup laps, the track was quite cold that day and it took almost two full laps for the tires to start to feel trustworthy each session...

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old December 6th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #12
Beast
Pure Imagination

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 08' 250r, '07 Vespa LX150 (it counts right?)

First off, ditto Alex on your first post. Well said

Your first track day (and more importantly, your first lap out there) will be an eye opener. It's almost disorientating when you're so used to constantly watching out for debris, crazy drivers, blind spots, etc. Suddenly it's just you and the track asphalt. Instead of hazards you'll be searching for the best "line" to take for each turn.

It's great fun and like everyone else said, it's good to take a class provided by one of the track day organizations out here such as Trackdaz, Take It To The Track aka Ti2TT, Veloce, etc (if you feel overly intimidated). Another thing that eases the nerves is going with a group or friend that have been to a few track days.

Quote:
But, while I can handle navigating LA traffic everyday and relatively spirited canyon rides on my weekends, I don't really know too much about body positioning (like hanging off the bike a bit), or knee dragging, or those sorts of more advanced skills. Are those the kinds of things I need to know how to do going in, or is that the sort of stuff they teach you in the beginner levels?
I know your pain with the traffic here. Body positioning is something you already practice (in some form or another) during your spirited canyon runs. Knee dragging is not something that you're REQUIRED to know Some riders never even find the need to drag a knee.

Where do you ride? More specifically what canyons do you frequent? I'd be up for a ride after the rain clears next week.

Old December 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #13
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
A friend had a videocamera trained on me for a session or two, here's a link. I'm on that yellow 10R starting from about 10 minutes in. Humor me for the first two warmup laps, the track was quite cold that day and it took almost two full laps for the tires to start to feel trustworthy each session...
Heh, that looks like a blast ^_^ Do you ever take your 250 to the track? Or is that your designated track bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast
Where do you ride? More specifically what canyons do you frequent? I'd be up for a ride after the rain clears next week.
I've ridden Topanga, Kanan, and Malibu a couple of times now (although Kanan probably hardly qualifies as a canyon, but it has little traffic, clean pavement, and its more open sweeping turns are fun at twice the suggested speed). I like riding the same canyon a couple times before moving on to a new one, as I can take it a bit faster and have more fun with it when I know what to expect. I haven't taken on The Snake yet though, but it's at the top of my to do list.

I ride somewhere every weekend, so if you guys have a group ride of some sort in the near future, I'm game ^_^

Old December 6th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Heh, that looks like a blast ^_^ Do you ever take your 250 to the track? Or is that your designated track bike?
I haven't taken the 250 to the track yet. I think that it could be fun at a track like Infineon, where you're on the edge of the tire for 90% of the lap, the speeds are generally lower, and hp isn't as much of a factor. At Thunderhill I think it would be a challenge on the 250, at least when grouped with bikes of all types and sizes (compared to racing in a 250 class, for example). The videos make it hard to judge speed, but on the front straight on the 10R I'm nudging 160 mph, and on the back straight a bit over 130 mph (both indicated, so actual speeds are a bit less). And I'm a slowpoke in that crowd. There were 2 250's in the same group this past day, and the closing speeds are sometimes 40+ mph or more, which can be unnerving for both the passer and the passee. I think the 250 would be fun at the Streets of Willow, but probably not the Big Track there, and it might be fun at Laguna as well.

Old December 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #15
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

The 250 is fun at ALL tracks. Dont let the closing speed thing fool ya. If you keep your line, its the other guys job to get around. You shouldnt have to worry about getting passed in most novice groups. (its not allowed) Once you get some skill, you will find that most of the guys on the big bikes are slo-pokes in the twisties.
Yeah, they will blow by you on the straights, but you will be able to close the gap without a hitch in the twisty part of the track and maybe even pass them back. Its not about top speed, its about lap times.
Go, have fun, and learn. I know most people will frown at the idea of a 250 at the track, but most of them are the very same people you will pass in the twistys after they blow by you in the straight.
Ive done it repeatedly at my trackdays.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

FWIW - Gary Jaehne has stated a number of times in the past year or two about how the 250 may not be a great choice for all tracks in all conditions. Check out his thoughts in this post which I cross-posted right here on ninjette.org. He's within a second or two of the lap record on 250's on any track in California, so this isn't someone that anyone on this board is lapping. Or keeping up with. He in fact was taken out last year at Infineon on his new-gen ninjette by a less-skilled rider on an R1, whose corner entry and exit speeds are completely different on such a different type of bike.

It is the responsibility of the passer to make a safe pass, but when closing speeds are so markedly different, and skill levels at an open trackday can be so markedly different, folks should just understand that there are limits to taking a 100 mph bike to a 150 mph track. Much of the day (at least in the A & B groups, perhaps not C as much) becomes a whole bunch of concentration on clean lines and leaving a bunch of room on the inside and the outside so the group can stream by, placing ultimate faith in somebody else for your own safety (Many, many somebody else's at a well-attended trackday). Our ninjette's are incredibly capable bikes, and I'd be very comfortable on one of Richard's racebikes with a pile of other 250's to dice with, and I'd likely also feel comfortable in the novice group at just about any track. But as speeds do ramp up, especially at a longer and faster track (THill is 3 miles, with a motorcycle lap record at 1:46, for an average speed of 102 mph. A mid-range A rider is around 2:00, for an average speed of 90 mph), a 250 can only do so much with < 30 hp on tap. YMMV.

Old December 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #17
esi7esi7

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 09 ZX6R

I started riding in Jan 09 and did my first track day July 09. I'm not sure how many miles I rode, but as long as your track day organization has a beginner class, you should be alright.

Old December 11th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #18
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

I have only been riding for a year but I can not wait to do a track day I will be in c group at Inde Motorsports Ranch on march 21 cant wait

Old August 13th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #19
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

When did you start track days?

I'm very new but even before I got my licence/motorcycle I hoped (still hope) to ride on track, eventually. I really want to do this the proper way though. I wanna get training from pro's if possible. It's pretty much gonna be a nice weekend hobby/passion.

Did you feel like you were at the limit of what you could learn by yourself? or did you just sign up for a class one day just to experience it and grow from there?
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

/merged with perfect thread that was on the same topic.

Old August 13th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #21
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

RideSmart, who does trackdays here in Texas, wants 6 months / 5000 miles before you sign up for your first track day.

I'll be able to do my first ones in October... just need to buy a leather suit before then.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #22
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
/merged with perfect thread that was on the same topic.
I'm both a noob on my bike AND on forums hahah. Thanks Alex!

Old August 13th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #23
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Hahaha, wow. Blast from the past. For what it's worth, I ended up on a racetrack 5 months after asking this with about 1 year and maybe 4000 miles of riding experience. I'm now a shameless trackwhore working on getting my racing license in the immediate future. Best thing I've done for myself since getting a motorcycle (Follow up thread for an idea of what it was like)

As a TrackDaz rep was saying when I was inquiring about it way back when, if you know how to shift and are comfortable turning your bike, you can ride on the track. I took a school my first time out, and they do an AMAZING job of just breaking down the concepts, walking everyone through procedures, and just taking the intimidation factor out of a big bad racetrack. Most orgs have classes for first timers which help make the whole ordeal much more accessible, and I'd highly recommend taking advantage of. You'll learn more in a single day doing that then you will in months on the street.

You don't have to be riding on your limits through the canyons to earn admission. I'd say once you feel you're completely comfortable controlling your vehicle, get a good set of tires and set aside some money and you should be good. Since you're in SoCal, I know TrackDaz, Ti2tT, TrackXperience, Fastrack Riders, and Motoyard all offer instruction for first timers. It's not even half as crazy or scary as it sounds

Old August 13th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #24
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Hahaha, wow. Blast from the past. For what it's worth, I ended up on a racetrack 5 months after asking this with about 1 year and maybe 4000 miles of riding experience. I'm now a shameless trackwhore working on getting my racing license in the immediate future. Best thing I've done for myself since getting a motorcycle (Follow up thread for an idea of what it was like)

As a TrackDaz rep was saying when I was inquiring about it way back when, if you know how to shift and are comfortable turning your bike, you can ride on the track. I took a school my first time out, and they do an AMAZING job of just breaking down the concepts, walking everyone through procedures, and just taking the intimidation factor out of a big bad racetrack. Most orgs have classes for first timers which help make the whole ordeal much more accessible, and I'd highly recommend taking advantage of. You'll learn more in a single day doing that then you will in months on the street.

You don't have to be riding on your limits through the canyons to earn admission. I'd say once you feel you're completely comfortable controlling your vehicle, get a good set of tires and set aside some money and you should be good. Since you're in SoCal, I know TrackDaz, Ti2tT, TrackXperience, Fastrack Riders, and Motoyard all offer instruction for first timers. It's not even half as crazy or scary as it sounds
Thanks so much for following up my post man that answered everything I had in my mind. Yeah I think I'm riding quite a lot and continue to do so but it's mostly commute. I'm guessing I'll have around 15k miles at this pace next year. I might sign up for that then. My plan is to be as conscious about technique as I can as I'm riding everyday and commuting to build up as much skill as I can till then

Old August 14th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #25
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
get a good set of tires and set aside ALL YOUR money and you should be good.
Fixed for ya.

Gurk- I live in Hermosa and track a buttload & race at chuckwalla, so if you want some help/transportation/instruction/tips I've got extra space in the truck and we've got a good SoCal crew of 250 riders/racers who have everything pretty everything you'd need in the pits. Get yourself some gear and come out!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #26
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
Fixed for ya.

Gurk- I live in Hermosa and track a buttload & race at chuckwalla, so if you want some help/transportation/instruction/tips I've got extra space in the truck and we've got a good SoCal crew of 250 riders/racers who have everything pretty everything you'd need in the pits. Get yourself some gear and come out!
This is awesome! I probably need a bit more experience but I'd love to come check it out soon just as a spectator at least. I'll really look into getting more miles under the belt and get ready cause I 100% wanna do track days regularly Looking forward to meet u guys!

Old August 14th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #27
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
Fixed for ya.
I was trying to sugar coat it a bit

Old August 15th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #28
ae86
AE86

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Track or the street? How fast can you take a straight corner with 60km max speed on the street, all the way through the turn?
ae86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #29
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
Track or the street? How fast can you take a straight corner with 60km max speed on the street, all the way through the turn?

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #30
ae86
AE86

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

You can ride on the street where you can get hit by cages, or take it to track where you can't have signals?
ae86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
or take it to track where you can't have signals?

Old September 4th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #32
Bueller999
Oldie but a goodie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 650r, 06 SV 650 race, 08 250r race, 03 Buell XB9s, 01 KTM 300 EXC

I have been teaching my wife to ride (we are in our 50's) for the last year, she is very timid on the streets so I have been taking her to a local kart track that allows bikes. This has taught her how to handle a bike so much faster than street riding. She has been able to get used to the whole track experience on a smaller scale and she really loves it. Even when I buzz her
Tomorrow (Labor day) she will be doing her first organized day with Chicane Days at High Plains Raceway. She is in the "Never Ever" group that is part of the beginner group. She will get class room and rider instruction for the first half of the day (longer if she wants).
When I race, our organization, the MRA has a lunchtime Parade lap offering. $5 buys you 3 laps around the track at a controlled pace, so we have been doing that every race to get her an idea of the track in a rather slow environment.
In these parts we kind of encourage the newer canyon junkies to take the knee draggin' to track rather than the mountains.

ABRacing
Bueller999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #33
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Quote:

Ditto both. Strange.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote