Old February 7th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Arrow Motorcyclist tries to educate truck driver

"Published on Feb 7, 2013:
Left lane merged due to construction and, as always, I proceeded to pass up the slower moving traffic and go to the front of the line (notice all the space when I get up there). This stupid **** in a big truck decided it was his place to make sure I waited my turn and swerved in front of me. Then pulls up to hassle me some more at 3:50 and again at 4:40. I stayed next to him at 3:50 long enough to make sure I got a good shot of his company info. (If you can read it feel free to make a phone call or two and let me know what they say) I called them and the supervisor didn't seem to care much and apparently, didn't want to see the video. This kind of stupidity is what gets people killed and should not be tolerated. If he was my employee I would fire him on the spot. Thought about waiting for him to get off work and "having a word" with him."

Link to original page on YouTube.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2
MistahT
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 FZ6R, 2006 Ninja 250, 1977 Suzuki GS550

The truck driver was definitely driving like an idiot, but I'm not sure if he did what he did because he was an idiot or trying to teach the biker a lesson. It could also be the camera. I have GoPro footage of people coming with a foot of ending my life, I toss it on youtube, and you can't tell.

Either way, glad to see they're ok
MistahT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
It takes two to tango

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

I don't really see what the truck driver was doing after the initial swerve when he caught up to him. Was he making gesture from behind the wheel to the biker? The swerve thing was pretty douchey though on the truck driver's part especially since there was no reason for him to do it.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #5
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Come over to Houston...

Can't let stuff like this stay in your mind and linger on it.

Do what ever to stay alive then move on that's what I do anyways

Old February 7th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz View Post
Come over to Houston...

Can't let stuff like this stay in your mind and linger on it.

Do what ever to stay alive then move on that's what I do anyways
Exactly, I had a lady the other day that got absolutely furious because I lane changed through a gap that really only a bike could get into but she wasn't accelerating at all so I knew it was no danger to myself as long as I continuously accelerate while lane changing so that I wouldn't make them have to brake. Now if I did the above without braking I can understand why she would get upset. Ended up aggressively tailgating me for half a mile until I went over one lane and back in to the same lane around a car to put space between her and me because I was convinced she wanted to ram me from behind. Eventually she ends up getting back up to me and as she drives by flicks me off and starts cussing me out.

Long story short is people are crazy and you never know what they'll do.

Old February 7th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
It takes two to tango
Exactly. We don't know what happened between them before this video. Usually people don't react for absolutely no reason by swerving to cut you off.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #8
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I don't see much wrong here. Truck driver was in left lane, moving right. Car in right lane hits brakes, he swerves left to avoid rear ending someone. Bike is really far away. Trucker moves right to get out of his way.

Seriously. Trucker didn't try to block him at all, otherwise he'd have stayed in the left lane.

Don't be a douche bag. That trucker is now angry at him for no reason.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Someone needs to give this rider a tampon
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
I don't see much wrong here. Truck driver was in left lane, moving right. Car in right lane hits brakes, he swerves left to avoid rear ending someone. Bike is really far away. Trucker moves right to get out of his way.

Seriously. Trucker didn't try to block him at all, otherwise he'd have stayed in the left lane.

Don't be a douche bag. That trucker is now angry at him for no reason.
I just re watched with my eyeballs up to the screen and saw no sign of braking from the white pickup that he was lane changing behind. The big truck had a good amount of space between him and the pickup anyways even if that pickup was braking.

Old February 7th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Exactly. We don't know what happened between them before this video. Usually people don't react for absolutely no reason by swerving to cut you off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck-bike.jpg (54.5 KB, 21 views)

Old February 7th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
You deal with stupid people every day. Doing anything but getting away from them and focusing on what you are doing is asking for trouble. Don't have an ego. Egos kill. You don't need to inform someone they have wronged you. You don't need to get mad. You don't need to do anything but keep riding your ride. Getting emotional is the quickest way to die on a motorcycle.

It takes two to Tango. Don't Tango with a truck.

Biker should have maintained a +5 or 10 and gotten away from the dangers instead of intentionally staying near it.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #13
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
A big truck at that.

Old February 7th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
You deal with stupid people every day. Doing anything but getting away from them and focusing on what you are doing is asking for trouble. Don't have an ego. Egos kill. You don't need to inform someone they have wronged you. You don't need to get mad. You don't need to do anything but keep riding your ride. Getting emotional is the quickest way to die on a motorcycle.

Biker should have maintained a +5 or 10 and gotten away from the dangers instead of intentionally staying near it.
Excellent post, Alex

I fully agree; hence, the title of the thread: a futile endeavor.

We riders are not road educators, we are just road survivors.

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #15
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
this.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
My nugget left in this thread would be. "Put as much distance between you and stupidity as possible and you will live a longer, happier life".
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Quote:

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
I just re watched with my eyeballs up to the screen and saw no sign of braking from the white pickup that he was lane changing behind. The big truck had a good amount of space between him and the pickup anyways even if that pickup was braking.
It's still clearly not "on purpose." That is a stupid assumption for the video author to make and I see people say it all the time to justify their anger. He was probably worried that someone was merging in his blind spot or heard someone toot a horn. Either way, he had no reason to believe that the lane he didn't finish leaving was occupied by an illegal lane splitter and should have had the option of swerving just to check his mirrors/blind spot. The lane was ending and he was probably forced to merge sooner than he was expecting and, therefore, sooner than he was comfortable with.

I also don't see the truck hassling him. It seems like the truck is just driving along while the bike speeds up and slows down and gestures inappropriately.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #19
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
It's still clearly not "on purpose." That is a stupid assumption for the video author to make and I see people say it all the time to justify their anger. He was probably worried that someone was merging in his blind spot or heard someone toot a horn. Either way, he had no reason to believe that the lane he didn't finish leaving was occupied by an illegal lane splitter and should have had the option of swerving just to check his mirrors/blind spot. The lane was ending and he was probably forced to merge sooner than he was expecting and, therefore, sooner than he was comfortable with.

I also don't see the truck hassling him. It seems like the truck is just driving along while the bike speeds up and slows down and gestures inappropriately.

^This.

I don't see it as dangerous either, the only way this is putting the motorcycle in any danger is if was @Jiggles, and he was trying to pay attention to the pickup, or the planes overhead, or whatever he tends to pay attention to when he should be watching the vehicle ahead of him.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #20
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Quote:

And seriously, you're vulnerable on a bike. I would never want to do anything that could potentially escalate a situation (like flipping the bird) when you're already set up to lose.

Old February 14th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #21
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post

And seriously, you're vulnerable on a bike. I would never want to do anything that could potentially escalate a situation (like flipping the bird) when you're already set up to lose.
I dunno, I do that kind of thing all the time, of course, I have more options to get away if needed.

Old February 14th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #22
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
I dunno, I do that kind of thing all the time, of course, I have more options to get away if needed.
But why risk it? Don't underestimate what people are capable of if rubbed the wrong way.

Old February 14th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #23
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
Such as?

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #24
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I proceeded to pass up the slower moving traffic and go to the front of the line (notice all the space when I get up there). This stupid **** in a big truck decided it was his place to make sure I waited my turn and swerved in front of me.
You don't know why he changed lanes. He might have thought he could bypass some more cars on the left, then realize it wasn't a good idea.

Once, I was in my car on the 405 in the carpool lane. Just cruising along and there was pothole so I swerved to the right to miss it. 15 seconds later a biker passes me on the right via lane splitting. If that bike was 13 seconds earlier I bet he'd think I was swerving to F with him when in reality it was for another reason.

Take a look at the white car you passed in the beginning. He was between lanes when you passed him. What if another car two lanes to his right changed lanes at the the same time. That white car might have to swerve back to the left.

Then you completely turn your head around to look back at the truck

Cars swerve. Cars Stop. Cars have blind spots.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #25
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
You don't know why he changed lanes. He might have thought he could bypass some more cars on the left, then realize it wasn't a good idea.

Once, I was in my car on the 405 in the carpool lane. Just cruising along and there was pothole so I swerved to the right to miss it. 15 seconds later a biker passes me on the right via lane splitting. If that bike was 13 seconds earlier I bet he'd think I was swerving to F with him when in reality it was for another reason.

Take a look at the white car you passed in the beginning. He was between lanes when you passed him. What if another car two lanes to his right changed lanes at the the same time. That white car might have to swerve back to the left.

Then you completely turn your head around to look back at the truck

Cars swerve. Cars Stop. Cars have blind spots.
Motofool copied the description from the video on YouTube, he is NOT the rider in this video. I would never suspect him to do something like this.

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #26
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
........I would never suspect him to do something like this.
That is true!

I know that 80% of the drivers sharing the road with me are mentally troubled and that the 20% has genuine problems much bigger than driving.

Hence, I try to be extremely polite and never, never, never take offense or get distracted by others' mistakes or even evil actions.

I know that I am the more vulnerable piece of meat at there and that I must arrive in one piece (the alternative is not an option to me).

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #27
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Motofool copied the description from the video on YouTube, he is NOT the rider in this video. I would never suspect him to do something like this.
Oh okay! Sorry Motofool! Thought that was you.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #28
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
Oh okay! Sorry Motofool! Thought that was you.
Hahaha,...........it is OK Dino.

I fully agree with your post above.

Most of my scary moments with drivers have been the result of distractions and mistakes rather than from the animosity that the rider in our video did assume coming from the truck driver.

Yes, there are bad people at there that wouldn't hesitate about hurting a rider on purpose; but most are just distracted and worried commuters.

Pointing out mistakes, getting angry, gesturing and confronting cagers and truckers only distracts our attention from more oncoming dangers.

Old February 16th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #29
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Such as?
Well, since motorcycles fit in much smaller spaces, it opens up more escape routes.

Old February 16th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #30
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

I see, Tim; thanks for clarifying.

I wouldn't do it at all, much less all the time, though.

IMHO, there is nothing to win and there is at least some risk of getting into an ugly situation.

Old February 16th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #31
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
At least he didn't rearend the truck...
Reyno2ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #32
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Yea cuz he's a noob
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote