Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Farkles

Old October 26th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Replacing the headlight bulbs?

Hey there -- it's been a long time!

A little story: I was driving in my car along a horribly lit road. Driving along with my halogen headlights cruising at about 55 when out of no where a HUGE dead dog, or perhaps a small horse, comes out of no where and I hit it. No damage to the car, but it opened my eyes at just how horrible stock halogen lights are. So I decided to upgrade the lights on the bike.

After searching around, I see that PIAA is pretty good. They have bulbs that, which they claim, use 55 watts but have 100 watt performance. I'm looking to order a set of those, but I want to gauge how difficult it will be to replace the bulb. Has anyone replaced the 300's headlight bulb yet? What fairings will I need to take off? Are the fairings pretty easy to put back on afterwards?

I've only ever worked on a 2003 CBR600RR that was wrecked and had aftermarket fairings, and that was a PITA to work on. The fairings simply didn't fit. Hopefully OEM fairings fit perfectly.

So yes, if one could shed some light on how I'd go about replacing the headlight bulb. I see the assembly from looking through the handle bar area, but I don't have enough room to work with my hands.

Thanks,

PS. Here's the bulb I'm looking at buying.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

it's fairly easy to do blind, pull the wire out, pull the rubber bung off, unclip the assembly, take assembly out, pull bulb from assembly and put new one in.

Tricky parts: the metal retention clip is hard to locate, the rubber bung doesn't feel like it's on properly, locating the bulb assembly by using the flat bit on the round bit.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
it's fairly easy to do blind, pull the wire out, pull the rubber bung off, unclip the assembly, take assembly out, pull bulb from assembly and put new one in.

Tricky parts: the metal retention clip is hard to locate, the rubber bung doesn't feel like it's on properly, locating the bulb assembly by using the flat bit on the round bit.
Just tried to go in blind. Couldn't even pull the wire out. I pulled off the rubber covering and saw the assembly with a plug. Tried to take the plug off but couldn't. Also, found a fairing removal guide on another forum, and it looks like I pretty much have to remove most of the fairings to get an easy look at the assembly.

I do need to take it in for the ECU recall. Debating on if I should just have the dealer install the lights for me while they have the bike open. Wonder how much they'll charge.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote