ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old June 13th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #1
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Stockton to RoadRider in San Jose via Mines Rd or Calaveras Rd 6/14 or 6/15

Sorry for the short notice but I thought I'd toss out an invite.

I'm heading out to RoadRider in San Jose this weekend and wanted to see if anyone wanted to come along. Thinking of taking the long route via either Mines Road or Calaveras Road

I haven't decided if I'm going Saturday around noon or Sunday morning so if anyone want's to join and has a preference let me know.

Via Mines Road

or Via Calaveras Rd

iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #2
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I'll be coming back from laguna seca and heading over Mt. Ham to livermore on sunday. I'll probably be starting up from the san jose side around 3pm but I can give a more exact time if you want to hook up. Rootbeer floats are a must when we hit the junction station as per rules of @Alex so how about it @Jiggles you couldn't make it last time so here's another shot.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That is the rule! Can't make it myself tomorrow though; have fun...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Drunken BBQ tomorrow sorrrryyyy
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #5
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I'll be coming back from laguna seca and heading over Mt. Ham to livermore on sunday. I'll probably be starting up from the san jose side around 3pm
Thanks Jason, but I'm trying to get back home before 6 tonight, not sure I'd be able to keep up with you either. Hope you have a great day at Laguna Seca

Maybe I'll try and put this up earlier next time.

Old June 17th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #6
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

So, how did it go? Will there be a ride report?

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #7
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Please Move to Ride Report

Hey Tim. thanks for the nudge.

Alright so I've been in the market for some boots and I wanted to try some on and didn't want to do the mail order thing. I asked around and heard that Road Rider in San Jose was a pretty well stocked shop, it is, but more on that later.

I should point out first that I have never driven or ridden Mines Rd in a car or on a bike so I didn't really know what to expect. I also don't have much if any real experience on twisty roads. With that being said, man Mines Rd is a super long supper twisty road. I definitely was not expecting over 50 miles of smile inducing vehicular solitude. From the start of Mines Rd in Livermore all the way to the Lick Observatory, 46.5 miles, I think I only saw 15 people in total and at least 12 of them were on 2 wheels.

The ride to Road Rider went great but I did learn a few things.

1. Without GPS on the bike, one should give the directions on the map more than a cursory glance or else you will miss some turns. Actually reading the directions before leaving would be recommended. I made an accidental detour to Del Valle Park where a very nice park ranger told me where the turn I missed was.

2. Reading about a skill and learning a skill are two different things. I know that braking in a turn does not assist in making the turn but that did not stop me from going wide on a couple of turns due to coming in too hot and trying to slow it down. Luckily no accidents or anything, just crossed the yellow line into the other lane.

3. My butt is good for about 200 miles, the trip was 225. The last 25 miles I wanted to do standing on my pegs. Also I didn't realize how out of shape I am. The outsides of my quads were quite sore the next two days.

Road Rider is a pretty well stocked moto shop. They easily had 20 different pair of boots, tons of jackets of all sorts, a whole wall of gloves, parts, fluids and more. I ended up picking up a pair of Cortech Latigo Air boots and rode them home.

I was pretty beat by the time I was ready to head home so I didn't hit Calaveras Rd on the way back. Maybe next time.

TL/DR

Mines Rd is a super blast to ride, I have a crap ton to learn about riding a motorcycle, and I'm out of shape. Oh and Road Rider is a solid store.