Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old February 20th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[American Motorcyclist Association] - Kaley Johnson: AMA Ice Racer of the Year

By Heather Wilson

Kaley Johnson of Twin Lake, Mich., secured three grand championships at the AMA Ice Race Grand Championship and took home the award for Ice Racer of the Year.

This was her seventh year competing in the event, but the 17-year-old has been riding on ice since she was nine years old. She also competes in dirt track.

“I got into ice racing because my dad is part of the Muskegon Motorcycle Club [an AMA chartered club],” Johnson says. “He was always into the racing thing, and my brother started racing on ice, so that’s how I got into it.”

She loves ice racing because of the speed.

“It’s faster than what dirt is,” Johnson says. “It’s a lot more hooked up than most people think. With studs in the tires, it’s way faster than anybody would imagine it to be. Plus, racing on the ice is good practice for the dirt. My brother and I go out on the weekends and put in a bunch of laps on the lakes around us.”

However, she says dealing with the cold can be difficult.

“This past weekend I got a bunch of frostbite on my face with it being so cold,” Johnson said. “I get frostbite really easily. It’s hard to keep going when your freezing. I have a neck warmer I tuck into my helmet, but that doesn’t always help.”

Toughing it out in the frigid temperatures was well worth it for Johnson, though.

“Winning AMA Ice Racer of the Year is something that I’ve been hoping for since my brother, Kyle, got it in 2011 and 2012,” she says. “He’s always wanted me to get it and bring it back to our family.”

Kaley Johnson, 2015 AMA Ice Racer of the Year

Click here for full story...