ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 24th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #1
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

About to head to the dealer this weekend...

Hey guys

I've been searching all over since May and finally found a White 2011 250r at a dealer near me.
I called and the salesman briefly quoted me for the MSRP($4199) + $299 freight + $249handling. With sales tax it comes to a total of $4998.94.
Are there any tips you guys have on how to talk down the price a little bit?

Can't wait to get it
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #2
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by C L View Post
Hey guys

I've been searching all over since May and finally found a White 2011 250r at a dealer near me.
I called and the salesman briefly quoted me for the MSRP($4199) + $299 freight + $249handling. With sales tax it comes to a total of $4998.94.

Can't wait to get it
#1) buy used. cut the price in half.
#2) where in michigan are you? im in the novi area
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #3
C L
ninjette.org member

I was thinking about buying used but I would really like to have the peace of mind with my bike being brand new.
I already saved the past year for gear and just need a bike.
I'm in south western border of MI

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #4
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

eh up to you. i'd definitely buy used though.

south western michigan is kinda far from me =P im about 40 minutes out of detroit

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

I completely understand buying new dude. I was the same way. I have a tendancy to get so excited about getting a new car or bike or whatever that i'll overlook a flaw b/c i just want to have it so bad. Then i later kick myself b/c deep down i knew that little flaw was going to be a pain in the ass to fix or deal with.

And i'm an engineer... So knowing myself i know i may pay more for something new but at least i get that peace of mind knowing what i'm getting.
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #6
C L
ninjette.org member

same here,
I'm on my 2nd year of automotive engineering and I'm sure I can do all the maintenance required to keep the bike new. I just don't want to deal with the bullshit from things like "female rider never raced, never dropped" basically means its had 0 maintenance

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #7
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
same here,
I'm on my 2nd year of automotive engineering and I'm sure I can do all the maintenance required to keep the bike new. I just don't want to deal with the bullshit from things like "female rider never raced, never dropped" basically means its had 0 maintenance
im on my 2nd year of mechanical engineering as well. and if its a 2011, who cares if its had no maintenance if all its been doing is sitting in a garage since the beginning of this year? ok maybe sitting there for like 2 years then you have a problem...but since the beginning of this year it would be fine. significant $$ savings for them not changing their oil as much as you'd like is obviously worth it

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

as far as tips on getting the price down, my technique was that i walked in during my lunch break and started looking. then this ungodly hot sales girl walks over and starts chatting with me. I told her i wasnt buying this very second but i'm shopping around. Of course she offers to get me a price, which of course was top dollar. I told her that was steep but i had to get back to work b/c i was on my lunch. She, like all salesmen didn't wanna let me walk out the door but i honestly did have to. So to keep her working on it and i knew deep down i was gonna get it i let her run my credit to see what kind of numbers she could get (yes i financed. Whatever you only live once).

So she calls me within an hour with an OTD price of about what you're saying. Very close to 5000. I just told her that i understand they're not high profit bikes, but #1 she had to give me some insentive to go with them and #2 it being a 250 i'd probably be back within a few months ready for a 600. She kept going back to the finance guy and working numbers. This was in march of this year and she finally called back and ask if i was deadset on the black '11 model. I told her if she had incentive for me to feel otherwise then no. She offered me a red or blue '10 for what came out to just under 4300 OTD.

So with the '12's just being released i'd work that angle a little. And just be honest and tell them to give you some incentive. They give you a little break, you'll be a loyal customer (repeat customer, all your service there, etc.) and they'll work with you unless they're just huge pricks.

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #9
C L
ninjette.org member

i've been searching craigslist and ebay every day for literally the past 3 months and havent seen a single white one

i've got my heart set on the white one

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #10
C L
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Assassin View Post
So with the '12's just being released i'd work that angle a little. And just be honest and tell them to give you some incentive. They give you a little break, you'll be a loyal customer (repeat customer, all your service there, etc.) and they'll work with you unless they're just huge pricks.
\

Thanks for the tips, I think i'll try to use the "get all my service done there" and try to cut it a little bit.
I hadn't even thought about that

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Oh, and another thing, they're gonna show you what the cost of the bike to the dealership is and be like "see, we're not making anything on this bike. We're hooking u up honestly." Well technically yeah that was the cost of the bike which is i wanna say like honestly almost at 4 grand. But the thing is the dealership gets kickbacks for moving "x" amount of that brand bike per month. So if you go in on the last day of the month and know what you're doing you really can get a bike OTD for less than MSRP b/c that slight lose is way made up by the Manufacturers incentives to move a certain number of bikes.

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #12
C L
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Assassin View Post
Oh, and another thing, they're gonna show you what the cost of the bike to the dealership is and be like "see, we're not making anything on this bike. We're hooking u up honestly." Well technically yeah that was the cost of the bike which is i wanna say like honestly almost at 4 grand. But the thing is the dealership gets kickbacks for moving "x" amount of that brand bike per month. So if you go in on the last day of the month and know what you're doing you really can get a bike OTD for less than MSRP b/c that slight lose is way made up by the Manufacturers incentives to move a certain number of bikes.
Should I bring up their end of month "quota"?
I feel liek that would be rude lol

Old August 24th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #13
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I wouldn't really just blurt it out b/c it would probably just piss them off and it doesnt always come in to play. If they're having a slow month, which most bike dealerships always are, it does come into play but still. Don't bring it up. You just use it for your timing and stuff.

But like you say, you're going in this weekend, right? If its near your house maybe you can stop in today or tomorrow just to plant your potentialness into a salesmans head? Then when you go in this weekend, work the other angles like service and potentially buying a bigger bike etc. And if after all of that they aren't budging much, you could give him a little "come on dude, it's the end of the month and i know you wanna get this thing sold, jsut work with me a little..." Ya know? But just be sly about it.

The best route honestly is to just go up there and hang around some and befriend some of them. A lot of the guys there are cool guys that share the same hobby as you're about to. Get to know them and they'll treat you better. I still ride over to where i bought mine and say whats up now and then. Its partly to check out the hottie that sold me the bike (my wife even had a crush on this chick) but still. She always greets me as i walk in and ask if i'm ready to upgrade yet, blah blah blah. But when i do get ready i know she'll hook me up again ya know?

The funny part though is that i have done 100% of the service myself.

Old August 24th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #14
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Oh, what i meant about going in today or tomorrow is to plant the seed that you're a serious potential buyer, but you're also showing your willingness to walk away. They don't know you're coming in this weekend to buy and you're not really willing to walk away.

Old August 24th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Idk. They say those are the only fee's but they rack up quick. They will try talking you into a maintenance plan (oil changes, chain tightening, the basic thing that needs to be done ever so thousand miles) which is pretty costly. Im doing it though when I pick up my bike in 2 weeks. I am mechanically stupid. Lol. Another thing they'll try is the warrantee, and possibly a GPS alarm system (My dealership did). The GPS, you can get it online (if you're truly interested) for cheaper. As for the extended warrantee, consider it. If they try selling you the 5 year one and you want it, but not for the price or 5 years, ask about their 1, or 3 year one.

Just keep your eye open for the things they try stacking on. I got mine on lay away now, almost paid off fully. Costed slightly above 6000 out the door. x-( Yes, I know. Lol.

I also know of other people who have shopped around, got different quotes, and pitted the dealerships someone against the other. "I can get it here for this, any chance you can drop it here?" kind of thing. What I did, and shouldn't have, but just had to have the white SE, is went for the first dealership I found. It's pretty uncommon in florida for the white SE's.

Congrats on getting a bike though. Especially for considering team white. x-)
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #16
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
Congrats on getting a bike though. Especially for considering team white. x-)

Can't go wrong with WHITE, Everyone knows it's the fastest! LOL
MotoED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #17
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoED View Post

Can't go wrong with WHITE, Everyone knows it's the fastest! LOL
White shows the most damage/dirt.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #18
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
I believe ANY bike will show damage, IF it is damaged. As for the dirt, that's why I take 20 minutes of my time and clean my baby!
MotoED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #19
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

You should for sure be able to get that bike OTD for MSRP + tax. That freight/prep/handling stuff is BS.

Go in there and tell them that's what you'll pay and I bet you they take it.

Old August 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #20
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

mine was almost 5k OTD.. 2011 white ninja, price sounds about right.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #21
Zola
40 on the road

Name: Vod

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2012 Ninja 650, 2006 Bonneville, 1990 Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Ninja250R View Post
You should for sure be able to get that bike OTD for MSRP + tax. That freight/prep/handling stuff is BS.

Go in there and tell them that's what you'll pay and I bet you they take it.
I second that motion. I'm really surprised at the prices some are paying. I bought my 2nd 250 new in March - a 2011, black. Paid $3,750 plus New York state sales tax - OTD, and asked for and received a $100 credit for future store purchases. Most dealers will quote freight and back off. "Handling" or "setup" charges are indeed BS.

That being said, you need to set a limit on what you're willing to spend and stay within that limit. And that being said, paying close to 5K for a 250 is nuts.
Zola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #22
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

All depends on your location.. dealers around me would of laughed at you trying to walk out with a new 250 under 4k.. I had to drive 40 miles just to find a store that had 250's in stock , called 3 dealers prior and non of them had any 250s in stock and said they were usually sold same week they came in! This was 4 mos ago.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #23
Heed

How much is tax? is it a percentage of the MSRP or?

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #24
C L
ninjette.org member

Tax is based on your state. It's 6% in MI and 7% in IN. thats all i nkow

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #25
Heed

I looked up on wikipedia, it says the base in illinois is 6.25%, but it also says

"Local governments may impose additional tax resulting in a combined rate that ranges from the State minimum of 6.25% to a current high of 11.50% in certain business districts in Cook County."

i live in cook county lol

Old August 25th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #26
Ranor
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Pearl White EFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
Actually I believe black shows dirt and dust WAY more... I've have a darker colored car and you can see the dirt on it almost exactly after it's been washed! Lighter colors such as white *hint hint* keep a clean look for way longer...
Ranor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #27
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Buy used!

There are plenty of used bikes out there that were barely ridden because someone bought one, and was scared to ride it or decided that motorcycling was not for them
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #28
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Yeah, like someone else said, set a total price you are willing to pay and do not budge from it. Don't ask them to knock off a little on the Set up or any of those fees b/c they'll just move numbers around to make you think they did. Set a reasonable price and stick to it.

Some people say they got theirs for under MSRP and all that. But being a business man myself, i have no problem with them making a little money off my purchase. If they werent making money, they wouldn't be in business. Its just the way of the world. With that being said, i don't wanna be raped. $4300 OTD is more than reasonable in my opinion. The sales guy makes a little money, the dealership makes a litte, and you go home without having a sore butthole. Everybody wins. When you sit down with them have that attitude and it'll get you a lot further than just walking in and offering 3750 OTD or you'r walking. They'll just laugh and tell you to not let the door hit you on the way out.

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #29
C L
ninjette.org member

Are you guys including the Sales Tax into your OTD prices? because 4199 x 1.06 is a 4450.95. If the dealer agree's to a lower price than that, do they just lower the MSRP and waive other fee's?

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #30
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Dude, it's easy as pie... They want to make as much money off you as they can right now, and they know a sucker when they see one. Talking "loyal customer" stuff is like pleading for mercy, and it's not the way to get a good deal.

You have close to a trump card, right in your hands... The riding season is almost over, especially in Michigan. If they don't move the bike now, they will have much harder time selling it in Sept-Oct... and no one will buy it in the winter.

As long as you show that you're not desperate to get that very bike, right then, you have tons of leverage... just say you'll shop around elsewhere and / or come back in a month or so. Even if the bike gets sold, I'm pretty sure it's not the only white Ninja in the state of Michigan. In fact, do your homework and search for other white Ninjas in an area.

Bottom line is: time is on your side, not theirs... use it to your advantage. They need to sell the bike *now*, but you absolutely don't have to buy it now, unless you get a good deal. Good luck!
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #31
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Dealer setup and handling fees are a normal thing here.
Try and walk out the door without them and you're not going to get a call back because they'll sell it to somebody else.

Use bikes cost just as much as new after you are done fixing all the crap the previous owner did to it and modifying it to your liking anyways.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #32
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

"As long as you show that you're not desperate to get that very bike, right then, you have tons of leverage... just say you'll shop around elsewhere and / or come back in a month or so. Even if the bike gets sold, I'm pretty sure it's not the only white Ninja in the state of Michigan. In fact, do your homework and search for other white Ninjas in an area.

Bottom line is: time is on your side, not theirs... use it to your advantage. They need to sell the bike *now*, but you absolutely don't have to buy it now, unless you get a good deal. Good luck!"

Time is on his side, but they'd rather hold on to the bike over the winter and sell it to a dummy for $5000 OTD next spring rather than let it go for $3700 or something ridiculous right now. Being the end of riding season they will be willing to work with him a little, but the loyal customer thing, and just acknowledging they have to make something off it will get him out the door much better than just being the dumb ass that walks in thinking he knows everything and trying to push them around b/c "its almost winter".

He just needs to go in and use a combination of all of this stuff to work it down as low as possible but the biggest factor is setting a price in your head that is reasonable to everyone and not budging. If they won't work with you then make the drive to another dealership that wants to do reasonable business.

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #33
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Having bought 2 new cars in the state of NY, and we have one of the highest tax rates, I usually figure add 10% to the selling price to cover taxes and DMV fees (title and registration). If the dealer is one of the larger dealers in your area, ask them about a "volume discount". That's usually the customer-end term for the factory rebate, or kickback, that the dealer gets for selling so many units. Its a term that is usually much better received by the salesman or finance person you're dealing with. And even if you are planning on financing the bike, don't tell them that. Always tell them you're paying cash. That way they don't start playing the shell game with the APR. And you avoid talking monthly payments altogether, which is how they hide the costs they pile on. Pitting two dealers against one another is great too, as I worked down the price of my last car by going to dealership A, talking them down a bit, then going into dealership B, and telling them you want this car for this price, and that's what dealer A quoted me at. Of course, that was a lower figure than dealer a could give me, but they counter-offered and I went back to A, and got it for less than what they originally quoted me. Generally, I'd imagine buying a new bike is the same as a car, as far as the business model goes, so check out websites on how to buy a new car, and look into the tactics they recommend. A lot of good info that helped me negotiate when it came time to buy.
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #34
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Oh, and someone said something about they got like $100 dollars on In-Store cash or something to that effect. Around here that angle never works. The parts/accessories department is just that, a different department of that business. They are accountable for their own bottom line so they arent going to let their numbers look bad so a salesman can get his commision.

My wife worked at a bike dealership for about 2 years and i made friends with almost everyone there. The dealership closed down a little before i got my bike but the GM of the place that closed down is the one that gave me tips and told me what was reasonable and not reasonable to do and say when i went in to get mine at the next place.

Old August 25th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #35
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

$5K for a ninjette, and post gen.

Quote:
Hey guys

Can't wait to get it
Leftover ninja 500's can be had for that. A piece of kawasaki history now.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #36
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Depends

New owner of a 2012 Ninja here, 1 week old.
I've looked all around Austin area for a 250. 3 dealerships we have here had none, and they fly out of the showroom. Supply and demand is really not in your favor here. At least in Texas. Used 250s on CL (when you can find some) cost nearly as much as new.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #37
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
New owner of a 2012 Ninja here, 1 week old.
I've looked all around Austin area for a 250. 3 dealerships we have here had none, and they fly out of the showroom. Supply and demand is really not in your favor here. At least in Texas. Used 250s on CL (when you can find some) cost nearly as much as new.
are you going to take the vinyls off? they look uglay

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #38
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer11 View Post
are you going to take the vinyls off? they look uglay
Strangely enough I got candy green bike with no decals, except for Kawa and Ninja ones.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #39
C L
ninjette.org member

Just got back from dealer. Paid $4450 out the door. Feels GREAT!

Old August 26th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #40
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

This doesn't really have anything to do with the thread, but I went to the dealer to check out some bikes a couple days ago after just getting my endorsement and the salesman tried to get me to trade in my bike for a gixxer even after I told him I'm a new rider who just got my endorsement... lol just thought I'd post that here. OTD price for an '11 250 SE here is a few bucks over 5k, I didn't even bother to look at the price for bigger bikes
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote