ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 12th, 2016, 04:30 AM   #1
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 400 / CBR600

Noisey Ninja!

Hello you lovely Ninja people!

I wonder if someone here would be kind enough to look at a quick video I've uploaded to youtube which shows me riding up my road on my 2009 250R (UK model)... which in itself is far from interesting... but can you have a listen at the sound my bike starts making! Was a little concerned, so pulled over (bike didn't cut out, but sounds like it does do on the vid). Has anyone got any ideas what it might be?

Video can been seen here: https://youtu.be/ZfjC1WquFqY

Link to original page on YouTube.

Took bike back home after this. Took it out a couple of nights later to see if I could hear where the sound was coming from but it didn't repeat itself... so used it for work the following day, where on the way home on a damp evening that noise piped up again for around 50 meters, then went away again.

I've put the bike up on a paddock stand and run it up through the gears, no sound, checked front/back brakes, all clear, engine oil fine. Doesn't always happen so not sure what it is or where it's coming from.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Col

Whitedogpoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2016, 06:25 AM   #2
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Sounds like a dry bearing, maybe a wheel bearing?

Welcome to the board again!

Old November 12th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It seems to be too fast to be a wheel bearing. My vote would be something in the transmission, maybe the output shaft bearing, or maybe a stick got caught in the front sprocket. Only wild guesses though.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys. I've tried spinning the front wheel by hand and seeing if there's any sideways movement in it (I'm guessing if it's a wheel bearing you should be able to feel some movement - albeit very little?), but it all looks/feels ok. If it was transmission wouldn't it be constant? It seems to be an intermittent sound and doesn't always happen. Have checked all around wheels and chain and can't see anything that shouldn't be there. Difficult to hear where the noise is coming from as it only happens when riding it. Noise doesn't stop or get worse if I pull the clutch in or use brakes, just slows down with the speed of bike. Just worried I might be doing damage to something that one day will go 'bang'!

Arrgh!

Old November 12th, 2016, 04:39 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Man, I listened again, and I still have the feeling it's something around the front sprocket/output shaft. Maybe take the sprocket cover off and push on the sprocket in various directions to see if you can detect any shaft play.

Old November 12th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Welcome, Colin !!!

It sounds like a popping noise coming from the exhaust.
Noticed it disappeared when closing the throttle?

I would check the connection of the pipes to the cylinder and to the muffler.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2016, 08:28 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
It sounds suspension-related to me.

If you look at the movement of the cycle and the timing of the sound, it seems to happen as the cycle is hitting a bump.

Done any suspension work or mods recently? Could something that's mounted on the cycle be loose or hitting something as the suspension moves? Is the chain adjusted properly?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
My bike made a funky noise like that when I adjusted my chain wrong, but it did not stop and start

Old November 14th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #9
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
just another random one, is that is could be a speedo wine, as if it is going bad or the cable is installed wrong
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 15th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

Cheers guys - a few possibilities there... been stuck doing DIY at home the past few days, so will have a look at bike this weekend and report back... wish me luck!

Old November 15th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Lucks

Old November 21st, 2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

So... managed to have a quick look over bike. Have ruled out suspension, wheel bearings, exhaust, chain/sprockets all look ok... took it out for a 10 mile trip with no problems whatsoever! So was thinking it was maybe a bit of crap caught somewhere and that it's now cleared itself... until I took it out the following day...

Noise was back Took it back home and disconnected the speedo cable (in case it was a prob with this as it does sound like it's coming from top somewhere). Went to ride it in the morning, and now the bloody thing refuses to start - turns over, but doesn't fire up!

Tried again later and it would only start by opening the throttle whilst pushing the starter button... ran fine while it was warming up on the driveway, but as soon as it got warm it cuts out (unless you constantly blip the throttle).

Haven't got a clue if these are linked or if it's just not my week! Needless to say, haven't been able to ride it again yet - noise or no noise!!

Old November 21st, 2016, 03:50 PM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Having to open the throttle to start points to too much fuel. That could also make it start and run OK when cold, but when it warms up, it gets too rich to idle. Maybe leaking float valve or valves.

Old November 21st, 2016, 04:06 PM   #14
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

Would there be any noise associated with this i.e. from fuel pump, could that be the noise it's making - fuel pump on the way out? The fuel injection light goes out when it should. Think this is beyond my 'basic' mechanical skills... think I need to get it to a mechanic!

Old November 21st, 2016, 04:54 PM   #15
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Oops, fuel injection, I was stuck thinking it had carbs. I suppose there's a whole new can of worms with a computer controlled map and fuel injection, various sensors, etc.. You could start with the easy ones and see, for example, if the throttle position sensor has the specified resistances as it moves through its range. But I'll defer to those who have experience with injected Ninja 250s.

Old November 22nd, 2016, 08:57 AM   #16
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedogpoo View Post
So... managed to have a quick look over bike. Have ruled out suspension, wheel bearings, exhaust, chain/sprockets all look ok... took it out for a 10 mile trip with no problems whatsoever! So was thinking it was maybe a bit of crap caught somewhere and that it's now cleared itself... until I took it out the following day...

Noise was back Took it back home and disconnected the speedo cable (in case it was a prob with this as it does sound like it's coming from top somewhere). Went to ride it in the morning, and now the bloody thing refuses to start - turns over, but doesn't fire up!

Tried again later and it would only start by opening the throttle whilst pushing the starter button... ran fine while it was warming up on the driveway, but as soon as it got warm it cuts out (unless you constantly blip the throttle).

Haven't got a clue if these are linked or if it's just not my week! Needless to say, haven't been able to ride it again yet - noise or no noise!!

Odd problems for sure.

I would check your air filter to see if it, or the intake, is restricted for some reason.

Next i would disconnect the battery, wait a minute, and reconnect it. That may reset the electronics. I would also check the connections and voltage while you are at it. Low battery voltage can cause issues with an F.I. system.

If that doesn't change anything, i would drain the gas tank and refill before ripping things apart.

Old November 22nd, 2016, 03:32 PM   #17
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

OK, so... just thought I'd try starting bike tonight... and it started, first time. Left it running on the drive for a while until it warmed up... didn't cut out... blipped throttle and it stayed idling perfectly... so, in for a penny as they say, took it out for a quick ride round and it ran perfectly, no noises, no misfiring etc, etc...

...which is good, but a little frustrating at the same time!

Wonder what tomorrow will bring!

Old November 22nd, 2016, 03:34 PM   #18
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Yeah, at this point you really want it to act up as much as possible so you can find the problem(s). Intermittent problems are always frustrating.

Old December 7th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #19
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

Quick update... have had no problems with the bike not starting, runs perfect now. Noticed a bit of a tight spot in the chain though, so gave it a good clean and re-grease and re-adjusted chain slack (by pushing wheel completely forward and starting adjusting from scratch) which has partially solved the noise problem (only seems to happen a bit when damp or cold but disappears when it's been ridden for a few miles), so have ordered a new chain and sprocket kit which I'm hoping will cure it.

Fingers crossed!

Old January 26th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #20
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

Well... fitted new chain & sprockets and all's been fine... until tonight on the way home from work when it started whining again... can only think a bearing or something is damaged at the front end... ARRRGH!

Old January 26th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #21
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Check for rubbing spots on the tires. You've mentioned this happens more in the wet and that sounds a lot like rubber rubbing against metal or plastic to me.

Old January 28th, 2017, 08:31 AM   #22
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

Deffo not tyres/wheels. Sent the vid to a Kawasaki dealer and they said could be cam chain problem, but I would've thought I'd hear that at any speed and would hear it 'ticking' when revving engine, which I don't? And that doesn't tie in with the problem seemingly going away, for a while at least, when the chain & sprockets were replaced.

Old February 1st, 2017, 06:36 AM   #23
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Hey @Whitedogpoo

When I got my Ninja 250R (2011) (also UK bike), I was getting intermittent squeaking noises. I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. I took the bike to a local Kawi dealer and they discovered that there was zero lubricant in the front wheel bearing enclosure. They told me it was a manufacturing issue. They packed it full of grease (I think) and the problem instantly went away.

Also: I've had constant issues with the FI system on my bike. If you're not already getting issues, I expect you will at some point. I'm not certain, but I think the issues all stem from the fact that water seems to run down the tank and onto the electrical wires (electrical "spooling"?). One of my mechanics did a resistance test on the wires going to the throttle bodies and discovered the resistance was too high. Another mechanic found that an area of wire was so rusted that the wire broke apart in his hand. The electrical issues haven't resulted in weird noises, but they have resulted on the bike not having smooth throttle response. It also messes up the idle rpm sometimes too. Usually during cold and wet weather. Just thought I'd give you a headsup

Old February 1st, 2017, 07:52 AM   #24
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedogpoo View Post
Deffo not tyres/wheels. Sent the vid to a Kawasaki dealer and they said could be cam chain problem, but I would've thought I'd hear that at any speed and would hear it 'ticking' when revving engine, which I don't? And that doesn't tie in with the problem seemingly going away, for a while at least, when the chain & sprockets were replaced.
The noises don't sound engine-related to me.

There are 2 noises I hear in the video - a clicking/clunking and a whirling noise.

The clicking/clunking seems to happen as you are hitting bumps. The whirling noise changes with your speed and stops when you do - so it's not related to engine speed. It sounds like it's coming from the front to me.

I would look into the front bearings and speedo drive area like akima suggested.

Old February 1st, 2017, 10:55 AM   #25
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
The noises don't sound engine-related to me.

There are 2 noises I hear in the video - a clicking/clunking and a whirling noise.

The clicking/clunking seems to happen as you are hitting bumps. The whirling noise changes with your speed and stops when you do - so it's not related to engine speed. It sounds like it's coming from the front to me.

I would look into the front bearings and speedo drive area like akima suggested.
the click and clunk noise has to be the camera bouncing in the housing my cameras did that tell i put some soft side Velcro in the case to stop it
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2017, 12:01 PM   #26
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

Yeah - the clicking noise is prob the camera as the fixing is a bit loose! I've check speedo cable and that all looks good. Maybe I need to double-check the front wheel... problem is... it's stopped making the noise again!

Old February 1st, 2017, 12:04 PM   #27
Whitedogpoo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Hey @Whitedogpoo

When I got my Ninja 250R (2011) (also UK bike), I was getting intermittent squeaking noises. I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. I took the bike to a local Kawi dealer and they discovered that there was zero lubricant in the front wheel bearing enclosure. They told me it was a manufacturing issue. They packed it full of grease (I think) and the problem instantly went away.

Also: I've had constant issues with the FI system on my bike. If you're not already getting issues, I expect you will at some point. I'm not certain, but I think the issues all stem from the fact that water seems to run down the tank and onto the electrical wires (electrical "spooling"?). One of my mechanics did a resistance test on the wires going to the throttle bodies and discovered the resistance was too high. Another mechanic found that an area of wire was so rusted that the wire broke apart in his hand. The electrical issues haven't resulted in weird noises, but they have resulted on the bike not having smooth throttle response. It also messes up the idle rpm sometimes too. Usually during cold and wet weather. Just thought I'd give you a headsup

Cheers - Only had the FI issue once when it chucked it down... and I mean monsoon stylie!! Luckily had just made it to destination and it was fine again in the morning - been fine ever since... but have taken note of your warning!

Old February 1st, 2017, 12:27 PM   #28
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
the click and clunk noise has to be the camera bouncing in the housing my cameras did that tell i put some soft side Velcro in the case to stop it
Ahhh...that would make sense...

I thought that was the noise we were looking to find at first.

My money is on the bearings and/or speedo drive.