ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM   #1
kkim

Lifting The 250R Onto Service Stands

Just thought some of you might be interested on how to lift the bike on to stands to make it easier to service or wash.

Bike ready to lifted...

-016.jpg

I put a block of 2x4 under the sidestand to bring the bike closer to vertical...

-017.jpg

I have spools (10mm) already on the bike and use a combination stand which allows me to either raise the rear using spools or the flat underside of the swingarm. Here I position the spool into the "fork" of the stand.

-018.jpg

After positioning the spools on both sides of the swinggarm in line with the forks, use one smooth motion to lift the back end of the bike up onto the stand.

-019.jpg -020.jpg

For the front, I have this contraption.

-021.jpg

You need to insert a pin into the steering head stem. Stand comes with a variety of pins so you can select the one that fits your bike.

-022.jpg

Pin inserted and front ready to be lifted. The back should be on a stand before the front is lifted to prevent the bike from rolling backwards.

-023.jpg

Push down on the front stand handle and the front end raises up and locks.

-024.jpg

Front and rear of bike up on stands ready to be worked on. Makes life a lot easier for anything from lubing the chain to changing tires to even something as simple as washing the bike.

-025.jpg
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nice post Kelly! I love the look of a bike up on stands, especially with its wheels off. Looks like one of those forest speeders from the 3rd star wars flick.

One safety tip if you have more than one bike using the stands is to make sure that you've properly adjusted the width of the rear stand, and tightened it down enough so it doesn't adjust on its own. Had issues getting my bike up onto the stand once and I couldn't figure out why until I realized that I had forgotten to readjust it.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM   #3
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Alex - I love the assortment of motorcycle equipment in the background, right next to the car seat!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Thx! Now if I could only find a motorcycle baby seat...

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
One safety tip if you have more than one bike using the stands is to make sure that you've properly adjusted the width of the rear stand, and tightened it down enough so it doesn't adjust on its own. Had issues getting my bike up onto the stand once and I couldn't figure out why until I realized that I had forgotten to readjust it.
Agreed. I also use my rear stand for different bikes and I have marked, with different colored paint, the adjustment widths for each of them on the rear stand adjustable arm. No guess work when switching the stand from one bike to another.

Old November 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #6
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I have to admit that putting the bike on it's rear stand single-handedly caused a few terrifying moments at first. If you don't keep it perfectly upright when the weight gets transferred to the stand it wants to fall over and can cause outright panic until you get the hang of it. The 2x4 under the kickstand is a must!
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I've never used a 2x4, and haven't had too much of an issue. I leave the bike leaned all the way over on its kickstand, and position the rear stand underneath the left spool. I start to push the bike toward vertical, and as I do I'm looking over the rear of the bike to make sure that the right spool is coming down into the rear stand holder. I'm pushing it slowly, so if it's not perfectly aligned, I can always lower the bike right back down on its kickstand. But once I see the spool on the right sitting in its carrier, I can let go of the bike and push the rear stand down and the bike's safely on the stand.

Old November 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
I've never used a 2x4, and haven't had too much of an issue. I leave the bike leaned all the way over on its kickstand, and position the rear stand underneath the left spool. I start to push the bike toward vertical, and as I do I'm looking over the rear of the bike to make sure that the right spool is coming down into the rear stand holder. I'm pushing it slowly, so if it's not perfectly aligned, I can always lower the bike right back down on its kickstand. But once I see the spool on the right sitting in its carrier, I can let go of the bike and push the rear stand down and the bike's safely on the stand.
yep... and that takes a bit of practice, but once you get it down, it is doable w/o the 2x4.

I'm such a noob that I always use the 2x4.

Old November 24th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #9
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

You gotta admit though, when you do it alone with nobody steadying the bike there's one moment there when the stand hasn't quite taken all the weight just yet and any lean could lead to catastrophe. I've learned to push the stand down under the back wheel with my left foot while steadying the bike with both hands. Looks pretty stupid, but less chance of a sudden gust of wind blowing the bike over!

Old November 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #10
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Got myself a rear stand a couple weeks ago. Still need to get some spools so I can use it!

Want to get myself a front triple tree stand as well soon...
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #11
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
You gotta admit though, when you do it alone with nobody steadying the bike there's one moment there when the stand hasn't quite taken all the weight just yet and any lean could lead to catastrophe. I've learned to push the stand down under the back wheel with my left foot while steadying the bike with both hands. Looks pretty stupid, but less chance of a sudden gust of wind blowing the bike over!
I find having the rear seat on there with the strap to grab onto with my left hand is a lot more reassuring than lifting with the cowl on.

Old November 24th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #12
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Excellent suggestion. I think I still have the passenger seat lying around here somewhere...

Old November 30th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #13
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Hi guys, hope this is not off topic. but if you have lowered your bike you might want to check for clearance with the pipe and spools. I have a slip on Yoshi. it could hit ( even with the stock hanger) if you go over a good sized bump. I just pull my spools off when done to be safe.

Just stuff you might not think about until you say "oh crap, what was the noise?"

Old December 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM   #14
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

Total noob here but:

Do these bikes come with spools or so we have to purchase them?

Are there stands that just fit on the swingarm?

What brand stands do you guys use?

HELPPPPPPPPPP
talldrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM   #15
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink View Post
Total noob here but:

Do these bikes come with spools or so we have to purchase them?

Are there stands that just fit on the swingarm?

What brand stands do you guys use?

HELPPPPPPPPPP
Deb,

You need to purchase the spools. they are 10mm, when you go looking for them. I recommend you purchase a rear stand that lifts by using spools as I find it a bit more secure than those that lift by the underside of the swingarm. I have a rear stand that will lift by either method, but I always lift by spools.

Pitbull stands are the standard by which all other stands are measured. They are pricey, but very sturdy. There are other brands out there and I'm sure others will recommend a few to you.

Old December 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

EDIT:

The 2008+ ninjette doesn't come with spools, but the good news is it comes with spool bosses. Those are just open screwholes in the swingarm that make it easy to just screw spools into them. The prior generation ninjette didn't have those.

You can buy spools just about anywhere, the ninjette uses standard 10 mm spools, which is one of the most common sizes. To install them you just put a dab of loctite on them and screw them right in. Pricing is probably $10 on the low end and $30 at the highest end.

There are plenty of different bike stands out there, but the market leader is probably the pit bull folks:

http://www.pit-bull.com/

Not the cheapest, but they are built well and will last for decades. Most folks buy the stand that can be used with or without spools just by flipping the mount on the stand. Using spools is a much more secure way to hold the bike though, so if that's an option it's probably the way to go.

Old December 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM   #17
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Thanks Alex and Kelly.

I would like to put on some rim tape this winter. It would be much easier with the bike on stands.

Old December 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM   #18
kkim

Are you looking to purchase a front stand, too?

Old December 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM   #19
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

hmmmmmmmm..........I think I would just like a rear stand for now (unless I find a good package deal).

I guess it makes sense to have both. Maybe I'll put them on my Christmas list and see what Santa brings me. I've been a a very good girl this year.

Old December 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM   #20
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink View Post
I've been a a very good girl this year.
lol... prove it!

Old December 1st, 2008, 02:48 PM   #21
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
lol... prove it!

What a shameless dirty old man you are Kelly.

Hurry up with the pictures Deb

Old December 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM   #22
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Wow you guys are shameless!!!

Old December 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM   #23
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
What a shameless dirty old man you are Kelly.

Hurry up with the pictures Deb
damn... go away, son... you bother me.

.. find your own sweet young thing.

Old December 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM   #24
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Old December 1st, 2008, 03:07 PM   #25
kkim

Quote:

guy at the computer makes a lot of sense to me.

Old December 1st, 2008, 08:36 PM   #26
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

I dropped my bike the other day putting it on the rear stand... Luckily there's boxes and crap that it fell on. No scratches...

Still sucks though. First time for everything I guess?

Old December 1st, 2008, 09:01 PM   #27
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
I dropped my bike the other day putting it on the rear stand... Luckily there's boxes and crap that it fell on. No scratches...

Still sucks though. First time for everything I guess?
yikes, how did that happen?

Old December 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM   #28
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Just got home from a ride. Wasn't paying attention. Right spool wasn't lined up.

Old November 12th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Even with a red brick under my kickstand (almost vertical), it's very difficult to get both forks of my crappy Harbor Freight "Haul Master" low-profile stand lined up with the spools. I usually end up holding the bike vertical with one hand (dangerous) or I kinda have to tilt my stand and then wedge it under with one side first to ensure that it falls onto the other side properly. That means all the weight of the bike on ONE side of a *cheap* stand for a few critical moments. My coworker commented to say that it was a "nice, sturdy, stand," so I showed him the malformed screw that had metal in the head so you couldn't insert a screwdriver.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #30
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I kinda have to tilt my stand and then wedge it under with one side first to ensure that it falls onto the other side properly. That means all the weight of the bike on ONE side of a *cheap* stand for a few critical moments.

There's no need to tilt the stand... just make sure the right-side cradle is lined up so that it catches the spool as the bike goes vertical, and go slow until both sides are in the cradles.

I put my left hand on the bike while I move the stand into position and start to push the handle down. This is so that if something starts to go wrong I can pull the bike back to the left and it'll drop back onto the kickstand.

The right hand, meanwhile, maneuvers the stand to make sure the right side spool drops into the cradle properly. Once both spools are in there I let go with the left hand, shove the handle down and up she goes.

T-Rex stands, BTW.
Not expensive ($109 for both front and rear stands), good quality, made in the US, no worries about cheap-a$$ tools.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=11

Note how much bigger the cradles are than the HF ones...makes lining it up easy.

adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #31
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
There's no need to tilt the stand... just make sure the right-side cradle is lined up so that it catches the spool as the bike goes vertical, and go slow until both sides are in the cradles.

I put my left hand on the bike while I move the stand into position and start to push the handle down. This is so that if something starts to go wrong I can pull the bike back to the left and it'll drop back onto the kickstand.

The right hand, meanwhile, maneuvers the stand to make sure the right side spool drops into the cradle properly. Once both spools are in there I let go with the left hand, shove the handle down and up she goes.

T-Rex stands, BTW.
Not expensive ($109 for both front and rear stands), good quality, made in the US, no worries about cheap-a$$ tools.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=11

Note how much bigger the cradles are than the HF ones...makes lining it up easy.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying though... the Harbor Freight ones are so narrow that you DO have to tilt it. You see, when you lign up the left side, either both forks on the right are in front of or behind the spool. The only way to "make sure" it's lined up is to readjust as you lift (difficult) or tilt the stand.

Also, T-Rex *IS* expensive compared to $32x2. That said, they seem to have the cheapest triple-tree head stand on eBay (unless that was Black Widow... I don't recall). Anyone try T-Rex head stand with an EX250J bike? Last time I googled I couldn't get confirmation.

Old November 14th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #32
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:

Also, T-Rex *IS* expensive compared to $32x2.
It's just a matter of priorities. If you're comfortable, that's cool. But you're worried enough about it to post....

Cost of two cheap HF stands: $64
Cost of two good stands: $109
Cost of dropping the bike and cracking the fairing: $275+

Peace of mind: Priceless.....
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #33
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm saying though... the Harbor Freight ones are so narrow that you DO have to tilt it. You see, when you lign up the left side, either both forks on the right are in front of or behind the spool. The only way to "make sure" it's lined up is to readjust as you lift (difficult) or tilt the stand.

Also, T-Rex *IS* expensive compared to $32x2. That said, they seem to have the cheapest triple-tree head stand on eBay (unless that was Black Widow... I don't recall). Anyone try T-Rex head stand with an EX250J bike? Last time I googled I couldn't get confirmation.

You don't have to tilt anything. Hold the bike straight up with your left hand, put the stand to the spools with your right hand and then push it down. Something that may help you get used to balancing the bike with your left hand... [whisper] remove the rear seat first and you can get a more secure grip on the bike by grabbing the metal piece that the seat slides into [/whisper] Go try it
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
You don't have to tilt anything. Hold the bike straight up with your left hand, put the stand to the spools with your right hand and then push it down. Something that may help you get used to balancing the bike with your left hand... [whisper] remove the rear seat first and you can get a more secure grip on the bike by grabbing the metal piece that the seat slides into [/whisper] Go try it
Once you get the forks on the left spool the forks on the right are already either BOTH in front of or both behind the other spool, meaning that there's no way to lower the spool onto the other side unless you lign it up before you evenstart lifting. Perhaps if I didn't put the kickstand up on a brick first...

Old November 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #35
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Alex - I love the assortment of motorcycle equipment in the background, right next to the car seat!
hmmm.. alex, how would you MOD that child car seat onto the back of your 250R?

PICS!!! PICS!!! alex
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #36
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Forward handle versions

Wouldn't this work better for us that are lifting the bikes alone? http://www.pit-bull.com/Merchant2/me...le_rear_stands

But how come everyone is using the conventional styled stands?
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #37
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Just as dangerous as a regular race stand.

The part where he has to hold the bike for a second before the stand is under the spools properly is the "scary part"

I just grab the rear seat strap and stick my stand under the spools and lift. Nothing to it if one arm is attached to the bike. If it does start to fall, yank it back onto the kickstand.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #38
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

To add to this..

My front fork stand as shown above hits the front fairing on the bottom some. (just under/behind the headlights)
I think if I put a few washers on the fork pin that lifts the bottom fork clamp up that it might clear the fairing better or not hit at all.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #39
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Any suggestions lowering the bike back down from the stands? If anything, lowering the bike back down is more dangerous than lifting since you start of with an upright bike and no support (at least raising it, you have the bike supported where it is leaned - kickstand as it is leaned in that direction).
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #40
kkim

just prior to lowering the bike after you're down with your work, turn the handlebars fully to the left and be sure the kickstand is down. When you lower the bike from the stand, it will drop to the left onto the kickstand.

I keep my left hand on the tail section as insurance as it drops and use my right to lower the stand.