ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 12th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Bike had a hard time starting

My bike had a very hard time starting earlier. It has been sitting for maybe 3 days due to the weather. It was sitting under the carport so it didn't get rained on but it did have almost a full tank--rode 20 miles. Kill switch is off and I proceed to start it. It didn't fire up so I just I just held the starter down hoping it would fire up. No-go. So I tried modulating the choke and throttle. No-go. I wasn't going to give up since I was already packed and geared up to go to work. So I started doing the rolling start while the starter was turning over and then dumped the clutch. It almost fired up. So I build up speed and dump the clutch again and it started up rough but kept running. Any ideas as to why it was hard start?

Old October 12th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #2
jmcblitz
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawi Ninja 250R

Your battery was probably just low on juice because it's been sitting for a couple days. Shouldn't be a problem after you ride around and charged it back up. Unless...

Is your bike still doing that now? If so, it might also mean your battery is showing signs of dying. This happened to me last month. I usually ride everyday, but I let my bike sit for a week about a month ago. When I tried to start it afterwards, it won't. So I bump-started it, thinking, "Oh, maybe it's just coz it was sitting."

Bike was fine that day, until I tried to start it again the next morning. The starter sounded like it had trouble turning the engine, and my lights were noticeably dim when I was firing her up. First try, no go. Second try, starter won't even turn. I only got a rapid "tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk" electric sound. So I bump-started. Again. Every morning.

Until after a week of bumping it every morning, the bike started doing the same thing when I tried to get home from work/school. I ride 20 miles for school and 10 for work, and my charger is running fine. Turns out my battery was dying so it won't hold a charge. I was bump-starting every time I wanted to fire her up for two weeks before I had the time to change the battery.

So if your bike is fine after this, don't worry about it. If it's still struggling to start after you rode it extensively, as in enough to charge up the battery, then you should get a volt meter and see if your battery is draining itself.
jmcblitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Well it started up fine when I left work. I find it odd having a battery die so fast which I hope isn't the case with mine. Hopefully it was just a fluke that it didn't want to start.

Old October 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The batteries on Pre-gen's were known to just kind of... DIE. Randomly, with no explaination. That's what mine did this summer. It wouldn't surprise me the least if this also happened with new bikes.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

I'll keep on monitoring this and update if anything changes.