Old October 12th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
me falling over 7 times in the dirt

Link to original page on YouTube.

enjoy... this is Mines and Meadows off-road riding park in Wampum, PA, 1 hr northwest of Pittsburgh

the bikes are drz125 and cr80. I'm in the teal/high vis

Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.

Old October 14th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
ride the berm on that uphill right hander and keep your feet up.

Old October 14th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Still looks like awesome fun!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2017, 12:20 PM   #4
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14

another one!

Old October 23rd, 2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

You have got the important part down. When you fall down, you get back up!

Looks like good times.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 04:46 PM   #6
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Looks like a great time! Unfortunately I'm too chicken-sh*t to try it! Going to try my hand at some flat-tracking this winter though!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:09 PM   #7
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Looks like an awesome place. I wish I had something like that around here, my DRZ needs a workout

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:22 PM   #8
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Looks like a great time! Unfortunately I'm too chicken-sh*t to try it! Going to try my hand at some flat-tracking this winter though!
flat track is hard. I've done a few races. I never knew going in a circle in one direction could be such a challenge and so dangerous. is not my cup of tea but somehow I end up having fun when I go, most of the time where are you racing at?

Old October 24th, 2017, 02:37 AM   #9
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

I'm just thinking of what happens in a crash. Low-siding on flat-track just seems so much safer than the impact of messing up jumps. Coup!e of tracks in Stockton., CA I want to try. Also Kern

Old October 24th, 2017, 07:49 AM   #10
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I'm just thinking of what happens in a crash. Low-siding on flat-track just seems so much safer than the impact of messing up jumps. Coup!e of tracks in Stockton., CA I want to try. Also Kern
Flat track can also result in some really nasty high sides. Ask me how I know..... and there are often pile-ups of people who wreck close to others. It's really gnarly lol. I like the lower levels of short track

Old October 24th, 2017, 03:30 PM   #11
DannoXYZ

yeah, here's a 1/2-mile track @ Kern I'd like to try as well...
miss my velodrome days...

Old November 12th, 2017, 04:51 PM   #12
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
aaaaand another one from yesterday. it was 30 degrees. frozen ground with a layer of slick mud/ice, super challenging terrain but fresh from the 150-mile hammer run last weekend I felt a lot better on this tiny bike

Old November 14th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I have never been out there, might need to check it out next season. That rocky up hill looked fun.

The front brake isn't so bad but you definitely have to go easy on it especially in the fall and spring time here, definitely slick.

Hard to tell on the log hop if you are preloading the suspension but doesn't really look like it. Work on bouncing hard on the bike just before to help get front up a bit to meet the log and the hop with the bike over.

I was always surprised how stiff the rear shock felt on our klx125 especially with me on it but the front was super soft, not sure if the drz is similar or not?

Does your buddy let you ride his Beta? You guys should come out this way for a ride so i can get a test ride

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #14
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
@subxero I'm not but I should be.. I've literally just figured out that you need to/can do that.. and then I figured it out and was jumping off every little bump lol

he lets me ride it but I've only ridden it once. I don't want to crash someone else's bike except my bf's haaa. riding it the one time was enough to be sure that that's the bike I want. I also liked the KTM freeride but the beta has more grunt and sounds better. I don't really like super loud two stroke dirtbikes and the beta has an amazing little growl. I've already started trying to sell my KLX so I can get a beta asap... never thought I'd wanna spend $8k on a dirtbike but its time. in 2019 I want to enter an enduro race. next year I just want to get better at riding.

do let me know if you come up to mines and meadows! it's great. I am not a cold weather champ and I will go there even below freezing to ride.

the drz 125 is really squishy. especially in the front. I haven't ridden many other dirtbikes and I don't have the skills or experience in the dirt to really compare to other models but it's doing its job very well for me and teaching me a lot with low risk. I've also probably put about 500 hours on it with absolutely no work or maintenance other than oil changes, and I've never broken anything in all the times it's hit the ground. I think when I get a job I'll buy it a skid plate as a thank you present!

Old November 14th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #15
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Cool! Yeah once you learn how to preload hop/jump it is a lot of fun to practice on everything you can see on the trail.

The xtrainer seems like a really solid play bike especially for technical riding.

When you say you want to do an enduro race do you mean more like a hare scramble type race or an old school enduro type race? Either way if you want to try a race i really encourage you to check out the Local vintage race series in the general area. They have some races not too far out from Pittsburgh.

It is a great race series for beginners. For most of the races they have a class for modern bikes, but not all the races, but they usually specify if they are not going to have a modern bike class on the . FB page or in the race flyer.

It is a hare scramble type race which is like a trail race, mix of single track, 2 track ect.. the courses are not overly difficult which makes it good for people getting into racing. The competition is good but everyone is super nice and no one is out trying to prove anything which again makes for great race experience beginner and advanced. Lots of middle aged to older riders but don't be fooled some of the older guys are legit fast on those old bikes

The races are typically a little over an hour long which is a good length for keeping it fun. Most normal hare scrambles go 2hr +

The race days typically have 2 races. An earlier race for all vintage bike classes and all novice classes no matter what year your bike is. Then a second race later in the day is for all post vintage bike classes intermediate and advanced, no novice.

So you could do the earlier race on a modern bike in the novice class, you could always enter the later race in intermediate as well, the second race isn't that much more different, just tends to be a little faster pace and sometimes they will include a little harder section into the course.

here is link to the one page, which is kind of a sister site of the main organization.

http://www.ahrma-northatlantic.org/c...e-results.html

here is the main, the races are under the cross country section.

http://pvr.potomacvintageriders.com/...nts/index.html

Super fun relaxed races, one of my favorite series to ride in

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old November 14th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #16
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Here is a vid of one of the races this year. Rider is one of my friends, in the modern class.

Old November 14th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #17
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I've looked into all of the above!

I'm thinking about AMA enduro racing and hare scrambles but for next year I'm doing dualsport rides, no woods racing. I might try the hangover hare scramble on January 7 and I'd either ride women's amateur or Lites C. I'm not even sure I'll ever feel like actually racing. I am less interested in going fast and more interested in going fast relative to difficult terrain, if that makes sense. Wide open throttle in a straight line is whatever, but when I get a good flow and rhythm on the trail and my timing is good for all the obstacles, that's what gets me. Judging by the speed of the quicker riders doing the dualsport ride a couple weeks ago, I am NOWHERE near racing speed.

I've got my eye on the X trainer precisely because it's small, lightweight, detuned, and built for slow and technical riding. People complain about the front end being a little mushy but I weigh 110lb in all of my gear so I don't foresee that being a problem.

I think the AMA dualsport rides are a great place to start because they're not races but you're welcome to ride it like a race if you choose - they also provide easy bypasses for any "inaccessible" sections. the hammer run was a fantastic intro to enduro/dualsport riding (and I'm not talking about dualsport riding as putting down a fire road every now and then).

I'll check out those links and video - thank you! I have found that the enduro/woods/dualsport group of riders tend to be a lot more group-minded and look out for fellow riders, rather than the flat track or road racing community. It could be my perception and individual experience and not really a rule in general, but I have really met some awesome and encouraging people through offroad riding. lap times are irrelevant - can you jump at 3' log? that's more the stuff I'm interested in

Old November 14th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #18
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Hare scrambles races in Southwestern PA can be a very good learning tool and quite the challenge. They have a great mix of tight technical terrain, they mix in some more open faster sections here and there. The terrain in any one of the races of the various hare scramble race series in the area can be fairly challenging in sections. I think the AWRCS series typically has one of the more challenging course layouts of the various series in the area.

Other series in the area are CRA, NECXC, and the vintage one i mentioned.

Any type of off road race is only as much of a race as you make, a lot of guys enter these races and treat it like a trail ride, some are out for a little thrill of racing but not chasing trophies and others are out their to win. It's all good fun.

Those dual sport rides sound quite fun and laid back, for some reason i envision dual sport riders to be very welcoming and supportive. Probably a great riding experience.

That Hangover hare scramble is a typical hare scramble, if it was closer i would be interested, i'm spoiled for riding and don't like traveling too far, extra time spent driving could be time spent on the trail

Check out Mountain Ridge ATV park sometime, they have some great technical trails, lots of rocks, some really great single track as well with a few really tough sections. It's about 1.5hrs East of Pittsburgh give or take. They are closed now though.

Just keep on riding and pushing yourself, everything will fall into place especially for technical riding. Just takes some time and practice like most things. Advice i give people for technical riding is pretty simple, try and keep your feet on the pegs as much as you possibly can, try not to put your feet down unless you are going to fall for sure. That is a super good training exercise. And something that goes along with that, keep your momentum and just go over ****, don't worry about the perfect line through the rocks, if you get bounced off that line and there is a big obstacle in your way, maintain your momentum and just go over it, you'd be surprised what your bike will just go over.

Old November 14th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #19
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Thank you! That's good advice. I'm at the stage right now where trails riding just stopped being terrifying and I now feel that I have some control over the bike... and I see a LOT of improvement from the beginning to end of the ride. You know that stage where you're starting to get a handle on the basics and other things suddenly become a lot easier or challenges you previously would have had no idea how to take on are something you consider and try... it's a good place to be!

The Hammer Run in NJ was awesome because the terrain was easy and I had a lot of chances to practice body positioning without the risk of messing up big time if I got something wrong. Very flat and sandy, the biggest hazard was hitting trees with the handlebars. The Hangover looks gnarly from the youtube videos but those are guys who are really racing and I'd be out there just trying to pace myself and be smooth.

The sweep riders at the Hammer Run were politely and delicately suggesting to my bf and I to take the shorter way on the second day so as to be back before dark My average speed was 10mph on the first day and 11 on the second day. I call that a 10% improvement... It feels really good to have tangible goals that I actually want in life - enter an enduro race, maybe do well in one the following year

Old December 5th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #20
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Have you been getting out riding at all in the nice weather the past 2 weeks?

I got out for an hour or so late Sunday, enough time to stop at the in-laws farm and play/practice on some big logs i have been cutting there. I really want to do the Tenn. KO race in 2019, i already missed registration for this year, no worries though it will give me more time to train.

Old December 5th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #21
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
@subxero that looks awesome. I would love to have a few obstacles like that in my yard. alas, I live in the city...

after the hammer run I did the washington area trail riders fall trail ride in eagle bay, virginia on my drz 125. we ended up doing the "expert" loop twice and a few loops of the beginner trail so about 35 miles total. the trails were more hilly, tight single track with lots and lots of slanted roots across them. it was a good challenge but I was too tired and worn out at the end. I need to figure out how to eat for these things so I have enough energy. the small bike is also starting to really feel like a problem. I'm not that tall (5'5) but the small wheels and low handlebars mean I can't really stand up and everything feels incredibly jarring. I've really got my eye on that X trainer.

I'm graduating college in a week and there's been a life change or two. riding will be a huge priority as I look for jobs and try to get my head sorted out. if you do ever find yourself in this area, I'd welcome a chance to get some in-person tips!

I am thinking about looking for something like a used KTM 300 EXC if I can't swing the beta by april... 2018 I really want to do more AMA dualsport and hare scramble rides. I'm not sure if I will be able to do the hare scramble in Maryland :/

Old December 5th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #22
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
also I'm having trouble finding people to ride with. I have a buddy here who is about my pace and level of braveness but he has a kid and other obligations that I don't have, and I'm not sure he could/would do any full day or two day rides that would require traveling. I'm hesitant to do the long AMA rides by myself, I know there are people who could help but my main worry is getting my bike stuck and/or broken and not being able to drag it back to my trailer alone.

Old December 5th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #23
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Yeah, standing up on that little bike can be tricky, especially for long periods of time.

Don't worry about missing that MD race, i bet it is a sloppy mess just about every time.

I would hold out for an x trainer vs a ktm 300. The ktm's can be made to be mellow and even at aggressive settings they are easy to ride but they are gonna be fairly high even with a cut seat and lowered. Just seems like a lot to do to a bike when the x trainer is gonna be pretty much good to go as is. x trainers start at like $7200 msrp new so you should be able to find a used one at a reasonable price but who knows.

Having people to ride with is always a problem and only gets harder as you get older. I have 3 kids so it is tough balancing family time and fun time for sure. I can typically get out riding when i want to but that typically means staying with in about 1hr drive, after that the travel time is to wasteful for my day, time on the rode vs time i could be spending on the trail if i would just ride closer. Like this past Sunday, i was gonna meet my riding buddies but i didn't get as much work done on Saturday as i needed so instead of driving an hr and meeting up with them i opted to stay home and finish my work but i had just enough time at the end of the day to get out and dick around at the farm which is just down the road. It was good fun and good training

Old December 5th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #24
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
yeah that's a good point about the KTM vs X trainer. I think I'll hold out. have to see how good the IRS is to me and if I can sell my KLX. I wouldn't buy a used one, though. I know how people treat their bikes... I think for my situation it's worth it to buy new, even though I swore up and down I'd never purchase a new bike. I don't feel like spending $5000 on a bike that will need a bunch of parts and labor just to get it trail-worthy after someone's beaten it into sloppy seconds! plus I don't want any shady title business. I know it can be hard to register ambiguously street legal "dirtbikes" if the previous owner never got it registered.

I totally hear you on riding closer instead of driving somewhere to ride. I was thinking about the Pine Barons dualsport ride on the 26th but it was just too far and not worth it - I can ride within an hour from Pittsburgh almost any time I want, for as long as I want (thanks Mines and Meadows)

Do you have any other videos of you riding?

Old December 5th, 2017, 07:49 PM   #25
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
i hear you on used bikes but i bet you could find a very low hour x-trainer that was just babied around. I bet the top end on those bikes lasts well over 100hrs, they are oil injected so as long as the person is used a decent injectable 2t oil you don't have to worry about what they were mixing.

I have some other vids on my channel, nothing that exciting. It strange for me to see some of my videos from just 2/3 yrs ago, i've become a much more solid rider since then for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-O...N0LAu3Q/videos