ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old June 1st, 2020, 12:05 PM   #1
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Kneedraggers! When and where was your first time?!

Alright, we all remember our FIRST TIME. When and where did you drag your knee for the first time?

I'll go first. 2001 during my WMRC (Washington Motorcycle Racing Association) new racer orientation program. It wasn't on an actual track but an airport runway? (a long time ago, lol) set up with cones and a makeshift track and I was railing around with no idea what I was actually doing, but doing it quickly and accidentally dragged my knee! Scared the crap out of me but been doing it consistently since

Feel free to add what you believe are the key components required to successfully drag a knee. Is it body position only or are there skills/techniques that can help.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2020, 03:35 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I resent that remark, I DO NOT drag my knuckles.... wait.. it's about knee-dragging!

First time was afternoon session with NRS in turn-7 @ Sears Point Sonoma. Long sweeper let me gradually increase lean-angle without going too far too fast. Without even realizing it, I rubbed knee-puck on ground!!! Kinda scary and very exhilarating!!!

As I've gotten faster, I hardly stick my knee out at all (immediately lose 5mph on Ninjette!). I use it like whiskers, and stick out tiny bit after corner-entry to gauge my max lean-angle, then put it back in.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2020, 04:54 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I was at the Kart track at VIR on my DT100 converted to mini-roadracer. I figured it would happen, but as you said, it was a bit startling when it did. I believe this was the very day:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg three_turning.jpg (243.4 KB, 13 views)
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2020, 05:57 PM   #4
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

My first time was 5-6 years ago on my R1...felt good went home happy.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2020, 07:53 AM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Alright, we all remember our FIRST TIME. When and where did you drag your knee for the first time?

I'll go first. 2001 during my WMRC (Washington Motorcycle Racing Association) new racer orientation program. It wasn't on an actual track but an airport runway? (a long time ago, lol) set up with cones and a makeshift track and I was railing around with no idea what I was actually doing, but doing it quickly and accidentally dragged my knee! Scared the crap out of me but been doing it consistently since

Feel free to add what you believe are the key components required to successfully drag a knee. Is it body position only or are there skills/techniques that can help.
1982 Loudon on a 82 Katana. Knee pucks were duct taped number plates cut and stacked on your leathers. Then Dainese came out with some knee pucks that fit on the inside of your leathers and stuck out through a bunch of holes.

Old July 24th, 2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Misti
ninjette.org sage

cool stories, I love hearing about when people got their knee down the first time!

So, some people (not in this exact thread) have comented that they end up scraping peg before knee....what are the main reasons why this would happen, and what do you think the remedy for it would be?

Old July 25th, 2020, 10:39 AM   #7
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

First time I dragged knee (at least without quickly following it up with the rest of my body) was at a kart track on a supermoto 12 years ago.

Now the funny thing is, once you drag knee on a supermoto with a 38" seat height or so, on any other bike the knee seems to make contact pretty quickly. When I built up my 300 race bike, the first lap out on it my thought was damn I'm dragging knee already.

And now these days I'm riding a Z125 Pro at the kart track. Feels like I could put my knees down instead of my feet when I come to a stop on that thing, hahah. Well not quite but you get my point.

Old August 25th, 2020, 08:11 AM   #8
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Another fun knee dragging story. I was riding Sachsenring in Germany with Leod Escapes Tours during a track day and there was a vendor selling wooden knee pucks which all the local riders were buying. I thought they looked pretty sweet so I bought a cool green pair to match my leathers. After I put them on I was dragging my knee around one of the corners and I was like, "I smell campfire, I smell smoke, what's going on?!" And then I realized it was the smell of my wooden pucks dragging on the track. Ha! Such a cool sensation, multiple senses, all enjoying knee dragging!

Fun track too!

Old August 25th, 2020, 09:25 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Probably about 1987 or so, Blackhawk Farms, turn 5, EX500.

Put a hole in my leathers. No knee pucks on my leathers back then.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2020, 10:58 AM   #10
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Another fun knee dragging story. I was riding Sachsenring in Germany with Leod Escapes Tours during a track day and there was a vendor selling wooden knee pucks which all the local riders were buying. I thought they looked pretty sweet so I bought a cool green pair to match my leathers. After I put them on I was dragging my knee around one of the corners and I was like, "I smell campfire, I smell smoke, what's going on?!" And then I realized it was the smell of my wooden pucks dragging on the track. Ha! Such a cool sensation, multiple senses, all enjoying knee dragging!

Fun track too!
Do you remember the pucks that had metal in them so you could make sparks as you dragged your knee? Would have been cool back in 85 for the Paul Revere 250 at Daytona when we ran at night.

Old August 25th, 2020, 12:10 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The last time I dragged my knees was last week on the Dragon. It's always a fun sensation to drag a knee on those hairpin turns. You don't need to be going very fast.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2020, 07:43 PM   #12
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
First time was on this baby Yamaha dirt bike with slicks on it at the skid pad of VIR in May of 2019; but then I did it again in the big carousel turn at Barber later that month.
This year I started touching on a more regular basis and I think I’ve touched in nearly every turn at the ridge, but especially 8, 12, 13, and 15.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ECFB313A-CBCD-4403-A595-2C2547BE8F0B.jpg (113.7 KB, 3 views)

Old August 26th, 2020, 07:52 PM   #13
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
cool stories, I love hearing about when people got their knee down the first time!

So, some people (not in this exact thread) have comented that they end up scraping peg before knee....what are the main reasons why this would happen, and what do you think the remedy for it would be?
For me it was toe before knee but reasons might include:
Being crossed up or other body positioning errors
Foot position making opening the leg awkward
Road camber changes, especially if it alters in the region of the tires/pegs/knee

Old September 12th, 2020, 07:02 PM   #14
JFMNINJA400
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): GSXR 750, GSXR 600, Ninja 400, Ninja 300

The 1st I dragged knee was on the track at Monticello NY back in 2010 on my 2007 GSXR 750. It was a left turn and it scarred the crap out of me and I ran off because of it!!! I didn’t crash, I came back thru that corner and did it again. It’s a weird feeling at first, but you get used to it.
JFMNINJA400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2020, 01:07 PM   #15
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
For me it was toe before knee but reasons might include:
Being crossed up or other body positioning errors
Foot position making opening the leg awkward
Road camber changes, especially if it alters in the region of the tires/pegs/knee
All of the above for sure. What about the steering rate? Does it make a difference in whether or not someone gets their knee down if they are steering the bike slowly vs quickly? (I know you know the answer )

Old September 15th, 2020, 06:56 PM   #16
Kowalski
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

I dragged toe when first started track riding as well. My problem was foot placement. I wasn’t putting the ball of my inside foot on the peg while cornering. Once I started doing that it wasn’t an issue anymore.
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2020, 09:12 AM   #17
varunmulloli
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Varun

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 KRT SE

2019 at MMRT (India) on my Ninja300!
It was my 3rd time at a track riding school. Got my body position right bit by bit under the guidance of the instructors. Decided to go for it at C3 which was my most comfortable corner. Exaggerated my BP a lot than usual and did it on my 3rd lap!

Next session they taught how to do pivot steering and before I realised I got my knee down on my least comfortable corner as well!
varunmulloli is offline   Reply With Quote