ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Motorcyclist Nearly Dies in Highway Close Call

I'm just wondering, is this what people are actually complaining about when they say people don't see them? The rider very clearly saw a guy moving over without signals but then decides to stay where he is and get angry when the guy who is obviously not looking doesn't see him

When I see something like this, I GTFO. The driver is obviously at fault for not paying enough attention but the rider is just as much at fault for not even attempting to avoid the situation.

Theres about 20 seconds of action and 10 minutes of boring talking

Link to original page on YouTube.

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #2
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I had a situation like that just other day...
You are right.. it's our job to watch out for those NOT watching out for us and take proper action(s).
Slowing down a bit and making room, there no reason to flick the guy off or get pissy (although I may have done same thing in the moment).
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
It's like if you see something that could endanger you, GET THE **** AWAY FROM IT!!! It's like some stupid self righteous motorcycle protest to stay in a spot where you know someone will be encroaching on your space. You may have the right of way but physics is physics and you will lose if you make a protest
AFM #676

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #4
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

What a pussy

That car was changing lanes super slowly and FAR from him. I've had closer calls than that at faster speeds when someone suddenly changed lanes from the one right next to me.
iplante is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #5
codestp202

Lol that wasn't even that close. Overreact much

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #6
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

yea he should have slowed down and let the cager pass.

there are a lot of bad drivers out there...
take control of the situation by avoiding them with your superior maneuverability and positioning.

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yup. It's an oft-used quote, possibly stolen from the aviation world:

Quote:
"Truly superior motorcyclists (pilots) are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills."
This incident was a non-event, and should always be a non-event for any rider who is paying attention.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #8
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

He said he's a new rider. Maybe if he'd spend less time talking and more time paying attention to his riding, that wouldn't have surprised him so much.

As a new rider, I think I'm a long way from trying to make any sort of video.
jmisto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #9
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

In my opinion, this is just the way it is when you ride a motorcycle. By staying angry for so long after the incident, you take focus away and could potentially miss the next hazard. Even reactions like fingering the guy are a bit much in my opinion. Honking is about the extent of my reaction, but even then I have yet to use it. I mean sure, the cager 'nearly' killed you, but I feel like it's typical (and probably normal) when you choose to ride; it comes with the territory.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #10
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

that wasn't even a close call, **** like that happens around here on a daily basis. honk at someone for doing that around here and they'll slam on the brakes harder than you could imagine, and that'll be fun while your middle finger is in the air.

gotta pay attention, and just move on.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #11
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I find it frightening that many of the rage incidents I see from motorcyclists isn't really worth getting mad over. I lane split all the time and one time I had a guy on a liter bike in front. The lanes narrowed down due to construction and the car that we were following took up much of the lane. The rider in front finally got a chance to go around, but felt the need to ride up to the cager's mirror, bang it a couple times, yelled at the driver, then proceeded to move past. Seriously, it's not like the cager had much of a choice, but it seems that some riders get a really bad attitude about their "rights" when they ride. If riders in CA would remember that lane splitting is one of the few privileges we enjoy and not a right, maybe they wouldn't be so quick to get angry.

I've been upset by a few drivers, but by the time I ride past them, I don't even remember them.

Old August 28th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #12
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
The driver is obviously at fault for not paying enough attention but the rider is just as much at fault for not even attempting to avoid the situation.
You are right.... but many bikers are simply stunned while something is happening... they don't respond b/c they keep hoping that the cager will see them. They are in disbelief of what is happening. Denial?? Of course this is exactly the wrong thing to do! When you see something going south, do SOMETHING about it.

This is why we need to continuously scan the cars around us. We need to constantly identify escape routes just in case we need them.

Old August 28th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
that motorcyclist is not only an inattentive idiot. but he is overly emotional, irrational, and a bad driver.

Old August 28th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #14
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
that wasn't even a close call
if he was using a go pro i can vouch that it was a lot closer than it seems in the video.
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
if he was using a go pro i can vouch that it was a lot closer than it seems in the video.
The car was about 10 feet away from him at its closest
AFM #676

Old August 28th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #16
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Reminds me of the girl who rode after a bunch of rednecks cuz she got all mad.

Old August 28th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
herpderp

Link to original page on YouTube.

AFM #676

Old August 28th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #18
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
that wasn't even a close call, **** like that happens around here on a daily basis.
Sadly true... watched the video and all I saw was a regular lane change.
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #19
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Like Old Lemon said, the car was closer than it appeared due to the camera. From the looks of it, it was about one lane line's length away.

Just because the guy overreacted and didn't react properly, doesn't make the cager right.

Old August 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #20
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Something similar happened to me the other day. It was my second time riding with a passenger and an SUV cut me off. I honked and the f*cker actually had the nerve to honk back. I stuck out my middle finger as I passed by only to realize that I was flipping off a grandma. It felt pretty awkward when we were right next to each other for a few red lights.
Madman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #21
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Lmao, all that did was make me laugh. That happens everyday regardless of if I am in a car or on the 250. I can tell you there is way worse an inattentive driver can do than that. But I still understand the frustration of always being around inattentive drivers.
I mean sometimes its good to be like "hey you f'ed up, pay more attention." Although other times that may put you in a bad situation if the person is an ass

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #22
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Gotta be proactive and not reactive.

Old August 28th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #23
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman44 View Post
It felt pretty awkward when we were right next to each other for a few red lights.
Lol.

In a car I am prone to bouts of doucheness when I get cut off or somebody is driving poorly. I'll sit on the horn, yell obscenities, make moronic threats etc.

When I ride the most I do is shake my head and give them the palms up, hands in the air, what are you ****ing stupid gesture. It's just not worth it to be aggressive with a cager who either a.) didn't see you and hopefully is embarrassed they cut you off or b.) did see you and just doesn't give a ****.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #24
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

he had the time to take his hand off the bar flip the guy off. not really a close one. Real close calls are ones where you don't even have time to hit the horn, let alone flip off someone that you see coming from 2 lanes over.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
he had the time to take his hand off the bar flip the guy off. not really a close one. Real close calls are ones where you don't even have time to hit the horn, let alone flip off someone that you see coming from 2 lanes over.
Perhaps you missed my exaggerated sarcasm; while misleading, it should have been clear in the first paragraph of my post.

KENPACHI!!!
AFM #676

Old August 29th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #26
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Man that guy is an idiot. He needs to sell his bike before he gets himself killed. There was no reason to give that car the bird. You have no idea how drivers are going to react to that. He is lucky that car didn't tap the brakes in hopes of scaring the rider or worse having him rear-end the car.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #27
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Total over reaction... as many have mentioned before... he's lucky the old guy didn't do much worse either initially or in reaction to the motorcyclists road rage.
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #28
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

I have only ever used my horn (car or bike) when someone falls asleep at a green light. My evasive maneuvers do not include taking my hand off the wheel/moving my thumb to the horn, but just trying to get the hell out of the way. This guy was insane..yes the car was wrong, no signals, too close, etc, but if you flip them off it only makes matters worse! Agreed, he was almost waiting for it to happen or not paying attention at all. I almost think he did it on purpose for the sake of his video to get some drama or something.

The best fights are the ones you avoid. It's a mental thing too, if you REACT often times you get mad. If you are PROACTIVE you generally don't get mad (or as mad), because you already spotted it, already knew what may happen, and are safely out of the way.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #29
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

That guy is a damn cry-baby attention whore. The car isn't close until you're able to punch their mirror off. He had time to hit the horn and then flip the guy off. I NEVER go for the horn. The horn is the sissiest damn sounding thing in the world! You hit the horn and everyone is going to laugh at you as you become one with their tires and the pavement. He should have spent his time being attentive and avoiding his "close call" by steering away from it with both hands on the bars.

Baby!

I was hoping the guy in the car was a raving lunatic meth abusing gun owner.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #30
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

Quote:
It's like if you see something that could endanger you, GET THE **** AWAY FROM IT!!! It's like some stupid self righteous motorcycle protest to stay in a spot where you know someone will be encroaching on your space. You may have the right of way but physics is physics and you will lose if you make a protest
I so agree with you. This kind of event is such an everyday thing I don't notice it any more. I just slow down or move away and get on with my life. We are vulnerable on bikes, understand that. Wear your gear, drive defensively, practice your skills, and enjoy riding.

Old August 30th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #31
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

*shrugs* Guess to each their own. I see plenty to get mad about. Granted, you should always be watching your surroundings while riding and in this case, the rider could've seen the guy coming over. There also looked to be plenty of room and in this case, I would've personally probably just shrugged it off. That being said, it doesn't excuse the terrible driving. I agree that riders have a responsibility to protect themselves from inattentive driver but I don't agree with rules of the road being different because we're on 2 wheels. Would I get mad if I was in my car? Yeah? Then I'll get mad on my bike. There's no difference to me.

Old August 30th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #32
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
The rules of the road are different if you are on two wheels, it doesn't matter if you agree with it or not
AFM #676

Old August 30th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #33
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I'm pretty sure Renner is a registered member of this forum.

Eh, taking your hand off the throttle on the highway to do something as useless as giving someone the middle finger = wut.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #34
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
The rules of the road are different if you are on two wheels, it doesn't matter if you agree with it or not
They're not. It doesn't matter if you think they are or not. Do riders have to be vigilant when riding and generally behave differently than cagers due to the increased risk? Yes. Are the rules of the road different? No.

Old August 31st, 2012, 12:01 AM   #35
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
I'm pretty sure Renner is a registered member of this forum.

Eh, taking your hand off the throttle on the highway to do something as useless as giving someone the middle finger = wut.
hahahaha he sure is! Andddd what is the tag line under his user name on his profile?

"Ignoring Jiggles"

this thread just got entertaining.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 12:28 AM   #36
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Haha really!? Well he'll never see this thread anyway
AFM #676

Old August 31st, 2012, 12:29 AM   #37
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
They're not. It doesn't matter if you think they are or not. Do riders have to be vigilant when riding and generally behave differently than cagers due to the increased risk? Yes. Are the rules of the road different? No.
Ok, drive the same as you would drive your car, have fun with that
AFM #676

Old August 31st, 2012, 04:25 AM   #38
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Jiggles, you need to engage your brain, before you post 99% of time...
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 07:18 AM   #39
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by esrtek View Post
jiggles, you need to engage your brain, before you post 99% of time...
i thought it was the drugs, lol.

Old August 31st, 2012, 11:18 AM   #40
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Jiggles, you need to engage your brain, before you post 99% of time...
The clutch slips quite often because of the massive torque
AFM #676