ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 12th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #1
surlistyc
ninjette.org member

Name: surlistyc

Motorcycle(s): 2003 kawasaki ex250

Lost all power out of nowhere

I was riding last night back from a friends house. I backed it up under my car port and as soon as I put the kickstand down, everything just shut off, dash/engine/lights. I figured it was a fuse. I checked them all, I think even including the master (20 amp?) I put the fairing back on and went to start it. it worked fine? This morning I tried to take it out, it started fine, but the tach was reading it was revving up to 12k but the engine definitely didn't sound like it and the neutral light was flickering, so I turned off the bike. now it won't come back on again? I am so completely lost as to what this could be.

I measured the battery, 12.5+ volts when not on. I also tested the (thing, not too sure what it is) with the 20 amp fuse in it. I got the same reading.
surlistyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Check your neutral safety switch, stand switch and your battery connections.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Load the battery and try again.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #4
surlistyc
ninjette.org member

Where would the neutral safety switch and stand switch be?

Old July 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlistyc View Post
Where would the neutral safety switch and stand switch be?
The neutral safety switch is located behind the drive sprocket cover on the left side of the motorcycle. When the transmission is in neutral, the safety switch closes and completes a circuit to chassis ground (neutral lamp on dash is illuminated). When the transmission is out of neutral (in gear) the safety switch opens and the circuit is not completed.

The sidestand safety switch located at the sidestand pivot bracket on the left side of the motorcycle. When the sidestand is in the up (riding) position, the safety switch closes and completes a circuit to chassis ground. When the sidestand is down (parked) the safety switch opens and the circuit is not completed.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #6
surlistyc
ninjette.org member

Thanks. Do 03's have the stand switch? I've heard about them, but I thought it was something that you mod, or on newer bikes.

Old July 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
All generations have a shutoff switch at the sidestand and clutch lever as a safety function. It stops you from using the bike in a way that could be unexpectedly out of control. (starting in gear and clutch released, or moving with the sidestand down)

The reason you hear of people modifying the sideatand switch is because racers tend to take off the sidestand and grind off the mount for not cornering clearance. They usually put a jumper across the switch to complete the circuit and fool the bike into thinking the stand is up and ok to ride even though it's no longer even there.
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #8
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

My 2000 runs with the stand down. You can even take off with it down. I've never checked if it's there, but in the 2845 miles that others have owned it, the last owner being a girl that rode 140 miles over 3 years, I highly doubt anyone has modified it.

I'd suspect a loose ground.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #9
surlistyc
ninjette.org member

Problem resolved. I really don't think mine has a stand switch either as I have newbishly taken off with the stand down. I caught it before I took any corners, but still a newb move.

Back story -
I bought this bike used with 25.5k miles. The guy who owned it before me had very obviously done a lot of DIY work, and has dropped it at least twice from what I can see. Well 2 days after I got the bike, it stopped working, mostly, it wanted to turn over but just couldn't. Found out the plugs were flooded. in the process of working on it, I knocked this blue wire loose. it didn't seem to connect to anything at all. eventually I found out, that blue wire was what kept the fan running. (When I turn on the ignition the fan automatically turns on) not too much of a problem, but I'm sure it's only supposed to turn on at a certain temp. There was another blue wire coming off of the cathode on the battery into a (power box?) where a few other wires plug into, and that is plugged into something else which feeds electricity to the components.

solution - I had the key turned so the ign is on, no power. I jiggled that damned blue wire and sure enough the fans and elec all come on.

Now to still figure out why my bike is still running so hot after removing the old CRUSTY, GUNKY coolant and replacing it.