Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old December 20th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Body Position Critique

Alright gentlemen let's hear your constructive criticism of my body position in these pictures from my first track day at Buttonwillow.

As far as #3 goes I've been told to get my butt farther back on the seat to be able to put myself in a better riding position. Anyway, I'd love to learn more and progress so hit me with what you've got!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VP2_5692.jpg (70.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg VP2_8549.jpg (60.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg VP2_5502.jpg (49.3 KB, 33 views)
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Second shot looks real good Love the suit and it matches real well with the bike! I want I want!

I'm not a track rider, but here are my inputs:

photo 1: Don't be scared to scoot your butt and body over. More traction and corner speed if you're not leaned over so much. Don't worry about scraping pucks. It will come naturally.

Photo 2: looks good.

Photo 3: Scoot your butt back, for sure. The ergos of the bike really has your body upright and from muscle memory, you will feel awkward getting up and over the tank and off the bike. Clip-ons really help a lot in this area.

Overall comments: This is your first track day and I'm sure you have learned a lot more on track than what you have riding on the street. Just remember what you learned and keep practicing it. You didn't go down so it's a good thing

Old December 21st, 2011, 12:22 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
move your ass back. it will move your head down when you lay on the tank, and when you hang off your knee will catch better and it will be easier to hang off. twist the throttle more, also.

Old December 21st, 2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Flying Pig
Resident Lurker

Name: Solomon

Motorcycle(s): R6, Strom, 250R, CH80 Elite

In the first photo, you still have plenty of room to hang off. I'm not talking about the knees not on the ground. Feels weird the first time, then you start dragging for the photographer and realize that you're riding slower

I digress. You still have more room to scoot your butt off the bike to help keep the bike more vertical which will in turn allow you to stay on the gas more.

How'd you feel? Buttonwillow is a bit bumpy last I remembered it, but definitely a fun track in its own right. You probably really liked the first few turns, huh?

Old December 21st, 2011, 02:43 AM   #5
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

turn 2-3 are such a massive PITA. Took me almost all day to get used to those but I was feeling pretty good about them by the end. I've heard it was bumpy but i didn't really feel it like that. I guess once I get back from Chuckwalla in January I'll have a better idea of whether or not Buttonwillow is bumpy compared.

Old December 21st, 2011, 06:28 AM   #6
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '04 Aprilia RSV, '10 Bonneville, '10 Ninjette

Seems like you can get your head / shoulders much lower and a bit more inside.

Some advice I got from a NESBA control rider at my last track day that helped me... When you start hanging off and getting your head down, make an effort to push the bike back to a vertical position. Almost pushing the bike out from underneath you.

It sounds weird, but it really helped me make sure I was actually getting my butt and chest off the bike instead of just feeling like I was, without really doing it.

Old December 21st, 2011, 06:56 AM   #7
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2017 Kawasaki Z900

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrain View Post
Seems like you can get your head / shoulders much lower and a bit more inside.

Some advice I got from a NESBA control rider at my last track day that helped me... When you start hanging off and getting your head down, make an effort to push the bike back to a vertical position. Almost pushing the bike out from underneath you.

It sounds weird, but it really helped me make sure I was actually getting my butt and chest off the bike instead of just feeling like I was, without really doing it.
Totally agree...you should try to get your head about to where the mirror would be if you had one on the bike.

Last futzed with by pjed; December 21st, 2011 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Bad quote
pjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 07:30 AM   #8
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

I think you look sexy...maybe look sexier if you bent over...um, I mean lowered your chest a little more.

Old December 21st, 2011, 07:40 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Great pics!

+1 to all You already got some great tips.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Ezio350
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ezio

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Looks real good. Speed alone will make you adjust. Hang off a bit more. As far as putting your head down?.....hmmm works better, but a lot of riders are more comfortable standing more straight while turning. Look at Kevin Shwantz pics and Martin Cardenas. They like to sit up a lot. Good job though !
Ezio350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 01:41 PM   #11
94fiveohvert
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r, crf 50

looks awesome! I spy a GoPro, where's the vids?
94fiveohvert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

I'm being pretty lazy about editing them to be honest haha. In the raw form they're 20 minutes of exhaust noises

Old December 21st, 2011, 01:48 PM   #13
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
I'm being pretty lazy about editing them to be honest haha.
I'm the same way although my computer is so old (12-14 yrs old) it's too old for the new apps these days hence why I've asked if Kevin could edit my vids.

Old December 21st, 2011, 02:32 PM   #14
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2017 Kawasaki Z900

It's important to note that for your first track day, looks like you're doing real good. Appear that you're definitely looking through the corner and sighting your exit.
pjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM   #15
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I'm the same way although my computer is so old (12-14 yrs old) it's too old for the new apps these days hence why I've asked if Kevin could edit my vids.
just give me the files!

And yeah, pretty much everything has been said but ill bullet what i think

Scoot ass back, bringing your head down
Lay to the inside of the corner, so not riding crossed up
get your knee out more and rotate your foot
and dont be afraid to lean the damn bike!

Old December 22nd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it took todd telling me to turn my foot for me to realize the side of my foot was pressed against the frame... he showed me how he braces his toes on the peg and heel inward on the frame which makes getting that leg out there way easier since you aren't trying to bend against your boots. him and nick have different ways of bracing their outside foot though... i think the outside brace is dependent on how long your leg is, since it has to tuck into the side of the tank... he really points his toes a lot... i think its because hes dragging so much... he practically holds that bike up with his leg

Old December 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM   #17
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it took todd telling me to turn my foot for me to realize the side of my foot was pressed against the frame... he showed me how he braces his toes on the peg and heel inward on the frame which makes getting that leg out there way easier since you aren't trying to bend against your boots. him and nick have different ways of bracing their outside foot though... i think the outside brace is dependent on how long your leg is, since it has to tuck into the side of the tank... he really points his toes a lot... i think its because hes dragging so much... he practically holds that bike up with his leg
Would you be able to take pics of what you are talking about?
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM   #18
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
I showed that to max at the IMS show. To sit farther back turn his inside foot a bit.

I think you need to lead with your shoulders a bit more. Get your upper body off the tank and scoot your butt off more as well. Body position is diffrent for everyone with minor tweaks and adjustments that fit for you. Clean lines and fluid motion between the turns is key, as well as track position. Don't obsess over body position as you are never going to stop working on it and tweaking it.

For your first track day I think you had good BP and will improve a ton at chuckwalla.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote