Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #1
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

Name: HzrnBgy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Ninja 250R, 2004 Yellow Ninja 250R

high elevation commute

okay, here is my situation

im going to Maui this coming summer for an internship position at Maui Institute of Astronomy Haleakala Observatory. Highest peak is around ~8500' above sea level. Although i'll be working at the observatory, i'll be staying at the Kahului harbor near the shoreline 31 miles away. Ive never been to Maui but i'll assume 90% of the ride will be stretches of hwy across farmlands, mountain and unlit backroads.

Looking at the terrain maps from google, half of the trip will be the final ascent though mountain roads. Im just wondering if the ninja can handle such trip two ways on a daily basis. Im sure its going to be fun but i dont want to be in a position that i might end up with a dead ninja in the middle of nowhere.

Any special consideration that i should take to make the ninja more capable of scaling the 60 mile ride? Any help would be appreciated
hzrnbgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #2
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

I'm sure Kelly, ninjabrewer, or komohana can give you some inside information.

Old May 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #3
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

and yeah, ill be listening to Linkin Park music along the way

Old May 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #4
kkim

are you sure you can take your own vehicle to work? Don't they provide some sort of ground transportation? That road can get pretty hairy... fog, rain, snow, ice, super high winds... have you done any research on this?

You'll be going from sea level to 8500'? I know they advise rejetting for anything above 4-5000 ft, I think. what's your jetting now?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #5
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

the only research ive done so far was the google contour maps

haven't done any real research yet as i just found out today. gonna check with some relatives on the island about the commute.

im worried too as i heard you gotta use smaller jets in higher elavation as the atmosphere is thin. im still using stock jets

Old May 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #6
kkim

yeah, but if you start from sea level, if you jet for altitude, you'll be lean at sea level. I'd say don't worry about it for now and see how the bike runs as it's set up now. If you're running stock jetting and you've put that aftermarket can on it, you're most likely running lean already, so at altitude it might be just fine. Ride it there first, then make changes according to what problems you encounter.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote