Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #81
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
I will probably stick with my '08 250R for a while since I don't see an opportunity to upgrade anytime soon, that I was able to even get the Ninjette was a fluke.

However, after riding my bro's '03 CBR600RR I do like the additional power, but not aggressive riding position. So rough in order:

'09 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Suzuki SV650SF/ABS
'09 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (mostly b/c of the ABS and familiarity riding my bro's)
Suzuki GS500F
As much as I enjoyed having the GS500, pass on it. The resale is better on the 250 than the GS, and the GS only tops out at 120. Not bad, but not great. It does, however, get 65mpg on the highway (at least my '97 did).

You will find a noticeable increase in power, but still very streetable, confidence inspiring, setup with either the 650R or the SV650. Either would bring plenty of smiles to your face.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #82
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
I will probably stick with my '08 250R for a while since I don't see an opportunity to upgrade anytime soon, that I was able to even get the Ninjette was a fluke.
+1
My fluke came after going to breakfast with my wife and... "hey, wouldn't it be fun to stop by the motorcycle store.... just for fun?" Car was broken at the time too (in a totaled kinda way).

Why did Honda give up on the VFR line???? just the one [interecepter] doesn't leave many options, especially for new riders.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM   #83
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I also wouldn't mind upgrading to The Buell 1125R. It was built around the racer.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 09:29 AM   #84
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I like that the new Buell has a Rotax in it. Selling point in my book.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 09:56 AM   #85
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
+1
My fluke came after going to breakfast with my wife and... "hey, wouldn't it be fun to stop by the motorcycle store.... just for fun?" Car was broken at the time too (in a totaled kinda way).

Why did Honda give up on the VFR line???? just the one [interecepter] doesn't leave many options, especially for new riders.
I have no clue. I love the VFR800. I think it is one of the best all around bikes in Honda's lineup.

If the pic doesn't show, click here

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM   #86
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

too bad they don't have that color combination here. that is the european color scheme right? they also have that nice white one, which is the one i would want. for some reason, we only get the black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda-vfr-800-interc-2_1280x0w.jpg (58.8 KB, 3 views)
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:19 AM   #87
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Really don't know

I haven't really gave it much thought. When I knew that I was getting a bike, I was down to the ninja I got from a friend who bought it new and then got a HD Road King, or the Kawi vulcan 500. I sat on one at the dealer here and almost whipped out the checkbook, er the pen to sign the finance paperwork. I haven't looked at any of the other brands besides Kawi, I love the styling of the new ZX-6R, and the older 636. But I'm not crazy about the leaned over, weight on your arms and wrists, riding position. I love my 250, but I think that I would go to a cruiser style, but not a HD, those are WAY too expensive for my blood. At the outset, my main motivation for getting a bike was gas milage, but that changed after I started riding, and now I really like...... just riding.

nb

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM   #88
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
too bad they don't have that color combination here. that is the european color scheme right? they also have that nice white one, which is the one i would want. for some reason, we only get the black.
Yup, that is the Euro model.

I did see a red, white, blue VFR at the dealer. Looked really nice.

Last I checked, it was still at my local dealer...
[img]http://www.***********.com/ims/u/1402/13848/283870.jpg[/img]

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM   #89
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
We love it, yes. There are some, like me who deep down really doesn't want to own the "dream bike" because you'd be constantly worried about it, not wanting to have anything happen to it, etc.
Mark, we're on the same page
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM   #90
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
I haven't really gave it much thought. When I knew that I was getting a bike, I was down to the ninja I got from a friend who bought it new and then got a HD Road King, or the Kawi vulcan 500. I sat on one at the dealer here and almost whipped out the checkbook, er the pen to sign the finance paperwork. I haven't looked at any of the other brands besides Kawi, I love the styling of the new ZX-6R, and the older 636. But I'm not crazy about the leaned over, weight on your arms and wrists, riding position. I love my 250, but I think that I would go to a cruiser style, but not a HD, those are WAY too expensive for my blood. At the outset, my main motivation for getting a bike was gas milage, but that changed after I started riding, and now I really like...... just riding.

nb
Go in between then. Don't get an extreme sportbike or a cruiser. Get a standard.

Aprilia Shiver 750
Ducati Monster
Suzuki SV650
Suzuki Gladius
Suzuki Bandit
Kawi 650R
Kawi ER6n
Kawi ZZR 600
Kawi Z1000
Yamaha FZ6
Yamaha FZ6R
Triumph has a good line as well.

Plenty of options that retain a sporty-esque overall performance/image, but not exactly hard core sports or laid back cruiser.

If you really wanted a HD, you can get a Sportster 883 for right around $8,000. Not bad for a little ride.

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:45 AM   #91
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Someone told me that as the VFR matured into a sport tourer, and the CBR's became the supersports, the US market for VFR dried up while it remains popular in Europe. Too bad I hearit is quite a good mix of performance and comfort.

Hopefully it doesn't go the way of the 919 or 599, basic standard motorcycle that dies a natural death because it stays too basic. Though I guess nothing basic about V4 with ABS...
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM   #92
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There's nothing "wrong" with the VFR, but there's nothing particularly impressive about it at this point either. Back in the 90's the VFR was where Honda put their latest and greatest technology (and styling). But for almost 10 years now, that hasn't been the case. The model hasn't changed a whit since 2002, and frankly, many VFR-files thought that this latest gen was a significant step backward from the prior generation.

Personally, I like the styling, but some of the knocks on the current version include:

- way soft suspension that requires a bunch of work if someone is either a moderately aggressive rider or wants to ride 2-up
- underpowered, overcomplicated engine. Who needs $1200+ VTEC valve adjustments on a motor that doesn't crack 100 hp at the rear wheel?
- overpriced. Needs to be at that price as they sell so few at this point, but part of the reason they sell so few is due to the price.

10+ years ago the VFR was the cream of the crop, but Honda has let it wither, and now it's closer to an also-ran.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:57 AM   #93
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
There's nothing "wrong" with the VFR, but there's nothing particularly impressive about it at this point either. Back in the 90's the VFR was where Honda put their latest and greatest technology (and styling). But for almost 10 years now, that hasn't been the case. The model hasn't changed a whit since 2002, and frankly, many VFR-files thought that this latest gen was a significant step backward from the prior generation.

Personally, I like the styling, but some of the knocks on the current version include:

- way soft suspension that requires a bunch of work if someone is either a moderately aggressive rider or wants to ride 2-up
- underpowered, overcomplicated engine. Who needs $1200+ VTEC valve adjustments on a motor that doesn't crack 100 hp at the rear wheel?
- overpriced. Needs to be at that price as they sell so few at this point, but part of the reason they sell so few is due to the price.

10+ years ago the VFR was the cream of the crop, but Honda has let it wither, and now it's closer to an also-ran.
I remember drooling over the VFR's back in '93. I loved it in red.

Old May 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM   #94
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/2009%20T...05.aspx?page=1

SE and only in Europe as of right now

(oh, and only about $12,000 too)
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 06:57 PM   #95
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Yeah the only change each year to the VFR is color. Like does Honda marketing just sit back and say ok this year its color is ..., and engineering/R&D focuses on other things.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:39 AM   #96
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

I only got my motorcycle driving license and my 250R about two weeks ago, so I'm not going to upgrade any time soon. But when the time comes that I'm bored by its performance (I'm currently very happy with it), I'll have a look at the ZX-6R.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM   #97
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

One motorcycle that catches my eye is the BMW G650X Country. I've rented a BMW F650 a couple of times, and liked the bike but disliked the styling. The XCountry has a bit of a plainer look and I find it appealing.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...50Xcountry.htm

I also like a couple of the new Triumphs. I like the old timey look of the Bonneville and the Scrambler, but I think the Street Triple also looks pretty cool.

A Ducati Monster 696 also looks pretty sweet in red or in white (the black not so much).

Old May 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #98
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I'm really starting to dig this bike.

Kawi ZZR600

Old May 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #99
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I would go for an older CBR I think
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2009, 08:02 PM   #100
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

I have been looking at new bikes lately..I really like the KTM Duke 690 and the Superduke. The bike that I have my sights set on right now is the GSX-R 750. It fits me well, and I really like how it handles and delivers power.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM   #101
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Name: oscar

Motorcycle(s): blk ninja 250 2008

I would like this order of 600cc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackgreen.jpg (165.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02914.jpg (69.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Streetfighters Mag - Bob 2.jpg (69.8 KB, 1 views)

Last futzed with by ninjablk08; June 12th, 2009 at 06:52 PM.
ninjablk08 is offline   Reply With Quote